New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    So I think my stuff is broken both with My Index and Rift S. I get weird clipping of images in VR. For instance when in my Frigate I can see images of theb rings or even planet in the landing bay. Anyone else experiences this in VR?

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,261 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, I sometimes see that overlapped planet edge glow in your second shot. I don't have a frigate yet, so I can't comment on that.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    nalex66 said:

I’ve made my money mining cobalt mostly. Caves are easy to find, and cobalt is everywhere. I dig up about 1000 cobalt, and refine it to ionized cobalt. You end up getting a bunch of tetra-cobalt which refines to ionized at a rate of 150:1 too, along with high-value items like vortex cubes that are often found underground. I usually end up making a million units from a quick mining run. Most refined materials sell for a lot, but I keep the other stuff like chromatic metal because it’s so often used for repairs and crafting. 
    Ok, now we're talking.  I'll check for some Cobalt in caves when I get back to my base planet.  Does cobalt always exist in caves?
    Oh and by the way, for those that haven't figured out how to decrease the sphere size of your terrain manipulator in "extraction" mode - you CAN do this in the VR version.  This may be common knowledge by now, but I just learned this a couple days ago.
    The yield of your extraction varies greatly by the sphere size.  There are two ways to shrink it down to maximize yield when mining an ore deposit.  You can press either "R" or "T" on your keyboard to change it.  I haven't tested this yet because going to the keyboard in VR sucks ass.
    The other way is to select your terrain manipulator on the back of your right hand, the change it to "extraction" mode or whatever it's called.  Back out of the menu with left trigger.  Then go to the menu on the back of your LEFT hand and choose quick menu and then the recharge option. 
    Now use the the left and right grip buttons to change the size of the extraction sphere.  When you press a grip button, the sphere will appear and you'll see you can change the size of it.  Once you've shrunk it, back out of the menu system with your left trigger. 
    Now start mining.  The yield will increase by about 10x with the smaller sphere.  A game changer.
    Setting your sphere size this way is completely counter-intuitive but it works every time.
    Thank you all for the tips so far.  Brilliant!
    I think you're actually quoting me from Reddit  ;) You don't actually have to go into the right hand Mode menu, but the guy asking was on PSVR, and I wasn't sure which buttons were used on that system to change size, so I told him to go into the additive menu to see what the button prompts say there.

But yeah, changing size in subtractive mode only works while a menu is open for some reason. There are a bunch of controls that don't work as intended in VR mode... I was poking around in the SteamVR Input settings for the game, and you're supposed to be able to use the joysticks to navigate the crafting menus, but that doesn't work at all. There are also controls set up for photo mode, which isn't even available currently in VR mode. I also found that it's pointless to mount weapons or a mining beam on your exocraft--they can't seem to be fired in VR mode. Anyway, hopefully Hello Games will continue to patch and polish the VR side of things until everything works as it should.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    Oh and by the way, for those that haven't figured out how to decrease the sphere size of your terrain manipulator in "extraction" mode - you CAN do this in the VR version.  This may be common knowledge by now, but I just learned this a couple days ago.
    The yield of your extraction varies greatly by the sphere size.  There are two ways to shrink it down to maximize yield when mining an ore deposit.  You can press either "R" or "T" on your keyboard to change it.  I haven't tested this yet because going to the keyboard in VR sucks ass.
    The other way is to select your terrain manipulator on the back of your right hand, the change it to "extraction" mode or whatever it's called.  Back out of the menu with left trigger.  Then go to the menu on the back of your LEFT hand and choose quick menu and then the recharge option. 
    Now use the the left and right grip buttons to change the size of the extraction sphere.  When you press a grip button, the sphere will appear and you'll see you can change the size of it.  Once you've shrunk it, back out of the menu system with your left trigger. 
    Now start mining.  The yield will increase by about 10x with the smaller sphere.  A game changer.
    Setting your sphere size this way is completely counter-intuitive but it works every time.
    Thank you all for the tips so far.  Brilliant!
    I think you're actually quoting me from Reddit  ;) You don't actually have to go into the right hand Mode menu, but the guy asking was on PSVR, and I wasn't sure which buttons were used on that system to change size, so I told him to go into the additive menu to see what the button prompts say there.
    I don't remember where I read this, but yeah it could have been you (if it was, thanks for posting it!).  This is the most important tip I've picked up in the game so far.  I assume this will be fixed at some point to make it more intuitive, but it's great to have this work-around.
    The next thing is to tackle how to locate valuable locations on the planet surface.  I believe they nerfed the signal booster in Beyond to make it less useful.  The cartographer on the space station can give you locations from what I understand but I haven't tried this yet and I'm not sure how to do it.
    Right now I just fly around, then land, jump out of the ship and scan.  It's hit or miss.  I can't always see things on the surface from the ship.  The left thumbstick scan isn't very revealing while in flight.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,354 Valuable Player
    Yeh I want to spend more time playing this game but other things get in the way. You really need to dedicate some hours each session for this and I find it increasingly hard to find those hours. 

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Just about every time I play, I end up going until the wee hours of the morning (My wife wondered WTF when I came to bed at almost 5am on Saturday morning). That was fine during my recent week off and the long weekend, but it's a bit of a problem during the regular work week. It's been a while since a game made me do this.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,052 Valuable Player
    I've just had a proper look at this Multitool that I got given and it's awesome. Needs A LOT of fixing though. Have just fixed the Terrain Manipulator but there's LOADS more stuff on it. It's bloody HUUUUUGE  :o

Am a bit worried that it might be overpowered once I get it all fixed though. It's basically a bloody rifle lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    I've just had a proper look at this Multitool that I got given and it's awesome. Needs A LOT of fixing though. Have just fixed the Terrain Manipulator but there's LOADS more stuff on it. It's bloody HUUUUUGE  :o
    Where did you get it?  From another player or from the story line?
    snowdog said:

Am a bit worried that it might be overpowered once I get it all fixed though. It's basically a bloody rifle lol :D
    The first thing I bought when I got some money together was a new multi-tool with a lot more slots. It looked like a rifle in the display case, but it just feels like a larger pistol in my hand. I’ve got a couple upgrades to improve my analysis visor, an advanced mining beam, a bolt caster upgrade, a personal forcefield, and I just added a plasma grenade attachment (I found my first manufacturing facility last night and got the blueprint there, but I haven’t found one of the components to finish building it yet).

By the way, when you’re adding technology upgrades to your tool (and also your exosuit and ship), you get an increased effect if you put it in an adjacent slot to the base tech that it improves. You’ll know if it worked because both items (the base tech and the upgrade) will get coloured highlight boxes around them. You have to plan a bit if you don’t have a lot of slots, because once they’re all filled, you can’t move anything around anymore. You can dismantle one and rebuild it, but I don’t think you get all the materials back when you do that. (Multi-tool upgrades are built from blueprints, unlike ship upgrades, which are bought ready-to-use.)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    As @nalex66 said, grouping your modules will improve their efect, experiment with positioning as gains can be made when the core module is touching upgrades on 2, 3 or 4 sides.  The same effect can be gained in your ship, shuffle around the modules until the highest number is hit.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Griff0xGriff0x Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    you can also use multiple of the same mod upgrades too,  i use 4 scanner mods along with my scanner.  scan any fauna and its 300k profit. 
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 364
    Trinity
    edited September 2019
    Griff0x said:
    you can also use multiple of the same mod upgrades too,  i use 4 scanner mods along with my scanner.  scan any fauna and its 300k profit. 
    I've managed to get my fauna over $425k per, im rolling in credits!
    i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
  • Griff0xGriff0x Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    yea,  its just xtra pocket change for the newer players as credits are required more at this point.   

best advice after around 600 hours (over pc and ps4) and 179 galaxies (pc) i can give is to get a farm setup with EM generators and batteries as this just rains credits when you acquire a nice BPrint, never want for any ship or freighter  you see again :>

Here's another tip for the VR controls while I think of it; to switch weapons in your ship, tap the left joystick upward. I knew I had rocket launchers, but for the longest time I didn't see how to use them. Then I added a beam weapon (which I thought might replace the photon cannon), but it didn't seem to have any effect, until I finally figured out how to cycle through the options.

Also, you can roll your ship left or right with the joystick on your right controller.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,052 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    snowdog said:

The first thing I bought when I got some money together was a new multi-tool with a lot more slots. It looked like a rifle in the display case, but it just feels like a larger pistol in my hand. I’ve got a couple upgrades to improve my analysis visor, an advanced mining beam, a bolt caster upgrade, a personal forcefield, and I just added a plasma grenade attachment (I found my first manufacturing facility last night and got the blueprint there, but I haven’t found one of the components to finish building it yet).

By the way, when you’re adding technology upgrades to your tool (and also your exosuit and ship), you get an increased effect if you put it in an adjacent slot to the base tech that it improves. You’ll know if it worked because both items (the base tech and the upgrade) will get coloured highlight boxes around them. You have to plan a bit if you don’t have a lot of slots, because once they’re all filled, you can’t move anything around anymore. You can dismantle one and rebuild it, but I don’t think you get all the materials back when you do that. (Multi-tool upgrades are built from blueprints, unlike ship upgrades, which are bought ready-to-use.)

It's bigger than a larger pistol, it's physically about the size of a shotgun. I tried gripping the underside of it with my other hand but you can only use these things one handed by the looks of things.

It's going to take me ages to fix everything though.

I'm guessing I'll get the blueprints for a wire loom thingy if I follow the story?

I'll post a pic in a bit. Not too happy with the colour of it though, it's quite bright pinkish and green. A bit too lairy for my liking. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I think you can only get blueprints for crafting components like wire looms randomly from manufacturing facilities. I've been buying them as needed, but they go for about 61,000 units each. I needed 15 of them (along with a bunch of other stuff) to repair all the slots in the abandoned starship that I fixed up.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,354 Valuable Player
    Some good info here. Keep em coming. 

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Wintermute
    edited September 2019
    Nice things can be picked up too...  (I'm 160 Hrs played so lots of upgrades)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    edited September 2019
    I had a good session last night. Advanced the main quest a little further, got my first freighter, and started expending my base with the overseer quest line. Knocked over another manufacturing facility, and this time I got an Atlas Pass blueprint. (Finally!) I don’t know if it always works this way, but I had a choice of credits, nanites, or a new recipe. I got to unlock a component recipe from a tech tree similar to the research computer.

The latest patch seems to have improved the way the cartographer works—I turned in a bunch of nav data at one station, and finally got a variety of chart types (I think I got all the types). Previously, I had only been getting trading outposts. I think I’ll make it my mission to hit a bunch of manufacturing facilities now and try to unlock all the blueprints. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,343 Valuable Player
    Played for maybe 3 hrs so far. Just going at my own pace but IF I had 1 complaint it would be the wiring. It is a bit too fiddly for its own good and just makes everything messy . I wish either the wiring was automatic or to be honest better yet just abstracted it and didn't show it. Add to that I read that the wiring actually adds to the max number of items we can put on our map and too many can effect performance.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Trinity
    Session Report:
    Thanks to advice on this forum I used my teleporter several times to bounce from base camp to the local space station(s) a few times.  This is an awesome way to get around.  Also picked up 2 exosuit inventory slots free of charge.
    Traded in some nav data to the cartographer and found a trading outpost nearby.  Checked it out, pretty close to my base.
    Built a storage container.  Ok, whatever.  I think it requires power.
    Built a signal booster (whatever the hell that does).  I think it found a crashed freighter next to my camp that I already knew about.
    Got some more archives out of my base computer.
    Mined the shit out of cobalt in 2 large cave structures.  Sold it for a lot.  I have over 4 million now, so I ought to start spending it on upgrades.  Cobalt market is flooded so I'll start selling it on the space station in the other system.
    Dug up some more buried tech modules - I'll keep these now to unlock plans in my construction computer.
    I had to force myself to quit as it's in the middle of the night now. 
    Nalex, if you're reading this, thanks for the tips and to everyone else for their nuggets of knowledge.  You all have helped me greatly in my quest to become the ultimate space pimp.
    @#%$, this game is good.

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,299 Valuable Player
    Hey gang will this game work through Open Composite?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Wintermute
    dburne said:
    I think so - there was talk of the controller mapping being shot initially but I think I read somewhere that it had been 'sorted'.
    Until Hello Games manage to implement Direct Mode for their VR performance appears to be wildly varying among users (including me!) from acceptable to tat...
    Rift S
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,011 Valuable Player
    edited September 2019
    Can't wait to plat this in my HP Reverb. Appreciate the tips keep them coming because I'm waiting for the HP Reverb before I play. I've only got until Monday to wait.
    edited September 2019
    I think I’m going to have to spend my next session just using up my planetary charts, because my inventory is full of them. I’ve started selling the trading post ones, because I don’t find them that useful. I do like hitting the manufacturing facilities, and I’ve got another 7 “secure site” charts to use. Between the charts, the base expansion missions, and the freighter stuff, I’m awash in activities to keep me busy.

I bought a “scope” upgrade for my bolt caster and it was a total waste of nanites. I expected some sort of visual aim assist or targeting reticle, but it made no difference that I could tell, except it made it impossible to reliably switch between my alt devices (scope, personal shield, and plasma grenade). I wonder if it’s another one of those things that just doesn’t work in VR mode, like the exocraft mining beam? I ended up dismantling it for parts.

I think I’m probably due for another new multi-tool—I’ve used up all my slots, and I want to try some of the other weapon types (scatter blaster or pulse splitter). 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,299 Valuable Player
    RattyUK said:
    dburne said:
    I think so - there was talk of the controller mapping being shot initially but I think I read somewhere that it had been 'sorted'.
    Until Hello Games manage to implement Direct Mode for their VR performance appears to be wildly varying among users (including me!) from acceptable to tat...
    Ok thanks, may have to give this a go then. I really do not care for Steam VR.  Though I have no idea where I will find the time LOL.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,343 Valuable Player
    Hi
    did another few hrs tonight and - soory if noob question;... but i read on flat screen mode when mining eg for copper the mouse scroll wheel reduces the size of your mining pointer which means you get a lot more stuff from a deposit.
    however i cant find a way to do this in vr. just getting enough for my hyperdrive i had to exhaust the 2 local deposits to my base.
    can anyone advise please?

thanks.
    PS i traded my multitool for one with some better stats only to find out it did not have a terrain manipualtor on it... so i just went back to previuous save.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)