New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:

I'll have to check and get back to you when I'm next on the computer. Everything appeared to be running smooth even if it was using reprojection. I'll check the actual fps though when I get chance.
    I must say the cable on the HP Reverb is a bit of a pain though. It's no problem for seated games like this one and Elite Dangerous etc. But with the cable being stiff it's not good for standing up and playing. I'm going to see what it's like with a belt clip though just to take some weight off the cable when standing.
    Reprojection is helpful for me.  To maintain 90fps would require me to lower the settings and with a 1060 I doubt that would even work in all situations.  So I crank up the graphics and reproject all the time.  Looks and runs great.
    However my contentment may be spoiled if I ever tried this game on a really high end system.  I better not, because that could cause me to lay out some unplanned cash for an upgrade.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,780 Valuable Player
    edited September 11
    Does anyone know if the graphic setting really do anything to your fps? I've tried changing between Enhanced High and Ultra, but it doesn't seem to affect my fps? Has anyone else found that it does affect their fps when changing from enhanced to high?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,056 Volunteer Moderator
    I've been running everything on High with no AA and 150% resolution in SteamVR. Performance seems to be reasonably consistent (except in the initial galaxy fly-through loading screen, that always stutters a little). I haven't played around with individual settings too much. I tried turning on FXAA after the patch that was supposed to improve AA for VR, but I did notice some worse performance, so I turned it off again.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    Does anyone know if the graphic setting really do anything to your fps? I've tried changing between Enhanced High and Ultra, but it doesn't seem to affect my fps? Has anyone else found that it does affect their fps when changing from enhanced to high?
    I want to experiment more with this.  My thoughts are that once you are at 45 fps with reprojection you should be able to get away with higher settings because of less frames fully rendered than at a full 90fps.  I've turned up the settings a little at a time to see if there is any impact and so far I haven't noticed anything.  Next time, I'll crank up the settings very high and see if I can get my 1060 to really buckle.
    Most of my settings are at enhanced with a few at the next higher level. 
  • msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    With the Rift S I am limited to 40 fps since I can't maintain 80fps with ASW on. The Index gives me same 40fps at 80 and 120hz and 45fps at 90hz. Sometimes at 120hz I may climb up to 60fps briefly. I am surprised my system using a 2080 ti, 32GB ram and a i9-9820x can't maintain 60fps in VR for my game.  Maybe something is just so bad with my system. 
    So I finally got exocraft weapons (mining beam) working. The issue is that you have to switch to the weapon every time you enter the vehicle (even if you only have one weapon installed), but the default mapping for switching weapons is messed up.

For flight controls, weapon switching is done by pushing the left joystick up (L Joystick D-Pad Touch North). For exocraft, the default mapping is right joystick up, but it's mapped as D-Pad Click instead of Touch. I moved it to left joystick up to be consistent with flight controls, and now it works fine--you can fire the mining beam with the A button and aim it with your gaze to gather resources without exiting your vehicle.

It's handy that they've used SteamVR's SteamInput controller settings for the game. You can easily edit the controls by going to Left Menu Button/Settings/Controller in SteamVR Home, and the updated mapping is properly reflected in the in-game button prompts. Along with the above tweaks for exocraft, I've modified my On Foot controls for easier weapon management. I mapped L Trigger to switch the main weapon, and X to switch the secondary weapon, so I can easily cycle through my multi-tool options without using the back-of-the-hand menu. This nicely mirrors the buttons to use the weapons (R Trigger and A), so its fairly intuitive. (I had tried using X and Left Grip before, but that conflicted with the grab-and-pull interaction in some cases).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    edited September 11
    Ok, so I tested a few settings to see if I could find a breaking point with my GTX1060.  I'm talking about the 8 main options that go from Low to Ultra.  I don't run AA at all, and the HBAO setting is off (whatever the hell that option does).  I kept both of these off.
    First I went up to High on all 8 options.  The game seemed to run pretty well.  I was surprised that I didn't really notice much drop in performance.  I just scampered around my base camp a bit.
    Then I changed all settings to Ultra and restarted the game.  I definitely saw a difference especially when I flew my ship around the area.  Frame drops were more noticeable.  I could still actually play the game ok.  But yes, fewer frames for sure.  I wouldn't play the game this way for any duration though.
    I went back to 4 settings on High (base quality, planet quality, texture quality, and animation quality).  The other 4 are at Enhanced. Restarted again.  A noticeable improvement, motion was way smoother.  I also saw I wasn't actually reprojecting 100% of the time but very often.  I'll play the game with this config and see how it goes, it should be fine.
    A couple of questions:
    What do Post Processing, Volumetric Effects, and Terrain Tesselation do?
    WTF is HBAO?
    Which graphics options are more 'expensive' to crank up?

The big thing for me was to turn off vsync in the Nvidia control panel.  I think everybody pretty much does this already.
    edited September 12
    HBAO is ambient occlusion, which adds a bit of subtle shading where objects are near each other (like a little shade line where the bottom of an object touches the floor). I don’t think it’s too performance-heavy, so you could try turning it on and see if you like it. 

Post processing is usually visual effects like lens flare and bloom, and other tweaks to the visuals that are added after rendering (I’m not sure what specific effects are included for this game).

Volumetric effects are things like smoke, fog, and particles floating in the air.

Terrain tesselation is the amount of geometric detail in the terrain—setting it lower.might make hills and cave walls look more polygonal, higher would increase the number of faces to allow more complex or natural shapes. 

I haven't touched v-sync in the Nvidia control panel; I have it set to the default “let the application decide” and I turned off v-sync in the game menu (I’m not sure if it’s still there, or if they removed it when they took away settings that don’t do anything for the VR version). Maybe I should see if it makes any difference, but I’m not really experiencing any frame rate issues that I notice. 
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Ok so I haven't been able to play games lately but last night I jumped on to check performance after reading this thread . I just rebuilt my PC 17 9700k , rtx 2080 , 16 GB RAM
    I'm getting 90 fps on planet most of the time with the occasional dip.
    Ultra on everything
    Taa low
    So I have my Nvidea in the control planle as per this Reddit thread
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    sounds like performance is just getting better and better.  i have not been in since sat last week and think it has had at least 1 update since then.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    A new experimental branch patch released today, which contains further VR rendering optimizations, as well as a fix for the Blaze Javelin not working in VR mode.

I already dismantled the Blaze Javelin that came with my new multi-tool, so I guess I'll have to go buy the blueprint so I can try it out.
    did my 1st hyperspace jump today also broke into a manufacturing facility... (my minig laser just pissed off the security so had to use my ship weapons to break door down.  got in an tried to hack terminal...... apparently i needed a micro controller but didnt have one so forced system into lockdown.
    really struggling with inventory. my exosuit is full i keep having to abandon stuff and my ship is not much better.  Apparently thge story will take me to a crashed cargo ship i can fix up at some point.  i hope iit comes soon.   just made fuel and ready for another jump but that wil have to be next time as i am knackered.   night all! :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Take down doors down with boltcaster, make sure you have plenty of ammo.
    I always use my ship. It’s easier to blast them, then land and run in quickly. Plus, you get an autosave right before going in, so if you screw up on the terminal, you can try again. 
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    HBAO is ambient occlusion, which adds a bit of subtle shading where objects are near each other (like a little shade line where the bottom of an object touches the floor). I don’t think it’s too performance-heavy, so you could try turning it on and see if you like it. 

Post processing is usually visual effects like lens flare and bloom, and other tweaks to the visuals that are added after rendering (I’m not sure what specific effects are included for this game).

Volumetric effects are things like smoke, fog, and particles floating in the air.

Terrain tesselation is the amount of geometric detail in the terrain—setting it lower.might make hills and cave walls look more polygonal, higher would increase the number of faces to allow more complex or natural shapes. 

I haven't touched v-sync in the Nvidia control panel; I have it set to the default “let the application decide” and I turned off v-sync in the game menu (I’m not sure if it’s still there, or if they removed it when they took away settings that don’t do anything for the VR version). Maybe I should see if it makes any difference, but I’m not really experiencing any frame rate issues that I notice. 
    Thanks Nalex for the explanations.  I went ahead and turned up Tesselation and Volumetric one notch to High.  So now I have 6 out of the 8 main settings on High with the other 2 on Enhanced.  Still haven't turned on HBAO yet.
    I did however turn down Anisotropic Filtering from 16x to 8x.  Not sure how expensive this setting is but from what little I read you get diminishing returns when going way high for this setting.  So I figured I would reduce it a bit to add some budget back to other settings I might like better (HBAO for example).   
    On another note, I made another 2 million tonight with Cobalt and Buried Tech.  I really don't know if I should continue to save money to buy another ship.  I found another outpost with lots of landing pads and it was quite active with ships.  I put down a save beacon so I can return to it easily.
    Trinity
    So one trick I use agenst the security dogs is I teleport ontop of a structure and just pick the off with no risk
    edited September 13
    I assume it is possible to jetpack up for those usng full locomotion?.. thanks for the tip
    Do the security drones keep on respawning or is there a way to shut them up?
    Trinity
    I only had two show up and I killed both with no respawns
    Interesting. I tried shooting then and they kept respawning getting stronger and stronger a bit like the 1-5 police wanted rating in GTA
    Running inside and dealing with the terminal correctly will stop the alarm, and the sentinels will calm down after that. Staying outside fighting them just seems to escalate the situation, unless you manage to kill them off quickly.
    I had my 1st pirate a "mostly harmless" (do they have elite dangerous rankings) with 100'000 bounty. I killed him but didn't seem to get any money (did get some copper though) did I do something wrong or do I have to hand bounty voucher in.
    Sorry for all the questions I know I could Google but am trying to learn some bits and bobs but avoid spoilers
    Trinity
    Well it was a few patches ago and when I killed them I waited until they were facing away and they did respawn but there was some time inbetween spawns and the new sentries didn't pay me any attention. Perhaps it was a bug
    Yeah, I've killed a few pirates with bounties and didn't see that I got any reward. I'm not sure if there's just no message about it, or if it's broken (I didn't look at my total cash before and after, so I might have gotten something).
    Died for the 1st time last night (annoying too as I lost an entire space station of chatting to folk and learning words. I was ambushed by pirates (is it possible to drop cargo to save from destruction). I had swapped weapons and had rubbish missiles and in my panic could not figure out how to swap back.

I raised a few buildings. So far not managed to successfully unlock any computer I either answered wrong, didn't have required item or didn't have an atlas key.

Still , made a little progress. Desperately want that cargo ship... Oh and how long before the Stargate system is fully operational?

Thanks
    Trinity
    edited September 14
    Top 15 things players should do
     10+ tips and trick
    Trading and economy
     Weapon upgrades for multi tool
     Ship and weapons upgrades

On my to watch list , he has more on Besides these
    Trinity
    After slinging cobalt and buried tech for the last several days I hung out at a sizable trading post and watched ships come and go for about 20 minutes.  Finally bought an A-class shuttle for about 5 million or so.  
    I didn't trade my ship, I just purchased the new one outright.  I couldn't bring myself to trade in my original starship that started it all.  That thing is probably going to be with me forever.
    What happens to my original ship now?  After I flew off in the new one (and remembered the great tip about dismantling everything in the old ship prior to buying a new one), I left the old one sitting on the outpost landing pad.  I'm assuming it will be there when I return later to this outpost? 
    Is this true, do previous ships just stay where you leave them?  I don't have a freighter to store it on.
    They don't stay put forever, but you can summon them at any time from the Quick Menu, and you can switch back and forth between which is your active ship. Once you own a freighter, your ships will all reside there (you can own up to six). Sometimes they don't show up like they're supposed too--I had to save on my freighter and then reload that save to get them to appear.

I spent the last couple nights getting my most recent crashed ship fixed up--it's a B-class Explorer, with 25+7 slots. I was going to just sell it for a new one rather than repair it, but I found that you don't get the same trade-in value if the inventory and tech slots are not usable. Once I got all the slots fixed, I decided to deck it out with upgrades and keep it.

Ebetsun's Experiment:

edited September 15
    I think I hit a bug last night either that or I have a general missunderstanding on what I was doing. I got my 1st freighter. Wow those things are massive , I think it is basically the same as the massive crashed one I found (are they all the same or do they vary like the small ships?)

Anyway the game is telling me to build a base on it however it tells me to point to build menu. When I do the holographic build wand pops up for a split second then it closes. The rest of the UI was working. At this point it was 1:20 am so I turned off . Is this a bug or stupidity?

I am finding myself a little overwhelmed. I have 3 or 4 main missions on the go and some side quests. I can't seem to be able to stick to 1 thing and keep getting side tracked.

I know you can call your freighter to the system you are in but I imagine to do that you need a lot of fuel?

Oh last question. Say I want to refine 50 units of copper but not all of it how to I take 50 units? At moment I am putting everything in which may not always be what I want

Thanks
    Trinity
    Anyway the game is telling me to build a base on it however it tells me to point to build menu. What info the holographic build wand pops up for a split second then it closes. The rest of the UI was working. At this point it was 1:20 am so I turned off . Is this a bug or stupidity?
    You must be in the same time zone as me.  It's 1:50am for me as I type this.  Just got out of a 3 hour session in NMS.  It's hard to stop playing this game sometimes.
    I am finding myself a little overwhelmed. I have 3 or 4 main missions on the go and some side quests. I can't seem to be able to stick to 1 thing and keep getting side tracked.
    Indeed.  It's always just one or two more things then I tell myself to get back on the main storyline.  Hasn't happened yet, just having too much fun finding stuff.  I have a couple planetary maps to find locations of interest.  I'll check those out then download the latest base computer archive to see what it says.  THEN I'll get back on the storyline (I hope).
    Oh last question. Say I want to refine 50 units of copper but not all of it how to I take 50 units? At moment I am putting everything in which may not always be what I want
    There's an output setting on your refiner to set it for just the amount you want to refine.  Load up the input box with your pile of copper.  Set the output quantity on the right hand side to whatever amount you want and it will stop automatically at that point.  When it's done you just collect the output and put it in inventory.  You can also take the input pile back out as well.
    One thing I don't like is that you can't reclaim the material used to supply power.