New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Nalex, I've come across a few crashed ships that needed massive repairs.  I was given the option to 'claim' the crashed ship.  What happens if you claim it, does that now become your active ship? 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,043
    Wintermute
    @bigmike20vt - you can summon your Freighter to you from anywhere, it doesn't require any fuel to do this. You only need fuel in the Freighter if you wish to jump it manually to a new destination, nice when the upgrades are done and it can jump many LY and not limited to systems of any particular star colour (as in the drives needed for your starships as you upgrade them.)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,980 Valuable Player
    Nalex, I've come across a few crashed ships that needed massive repairs.  I was given the option to 'claim' the crashed ship.  What happens if you claim it, does that now become your active ship? 
    Mee too. I was then too scared to confirm the swap just in case. So I left the ship there. Without a freighter where does the old ship reside if you swap out.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Wintermute
    Mee too. I was then too scared to confirm the swap just in case. So I left the ship there. Without a freighter where does the old ship reside if you swap out.
    Een without a Freighter I believe you can still hold a maximum of 6 ships, I had a few before I got my first Freighter, have no idea where they are 'stored' but they can be recalled wherever you are, even if they are 'broken'.
    I picked up my first wreck and swapped back to my starter ship then recalled the wreck to my base to do the work on it.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Trinity
    RattyUK said:
    Een without a Freighter I believe you can still hold a maximum of 6 ships, I had a few before I got my first Freighter, have no idea where they are 'stored' but they can be recalled wherever you are, even if they are 'broken'.
    I picked up my first wreck and swapped back to my starter ship then recalled the wreck to my base to do the work on it.

Interesting.  Can you go into detail on how you actually did this?  Let's say I'm at a crash site.  I take the 'claim' option on the shipwreck.  What happens then?
    How do you get back to your base if you can't fly the wrecked ship?
    I love the idea of bringing shipwreck back to base camp.  I would definitely do this.  This would be a great project to have around and work on over time.
    I've been to two recent crash sites, both ships were really damaged.  I wanted to fix one of them for fun but I didn't want to have to keep flying back to the crash site over and over.  So I just left them both.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2019
    My first crashed ship, I built a base there and did the repairs where it sat (but kept using my old ship while I worked on it). For the second one, I claimed it, then got back in my old ship and flew away. Later, I did some repairs to it in my freighter, and then swapped to using it as my main ship.

As long as the button says “Claim ship” you’re not swapping out your current ship. You change which is your current ship by getting into one. Your old ship might vanish if you reload a save while the crashed one is your active ship, but you can always summon your old one back—I learned that after having a bit of a scare while fixing my first wreck. 

I’m not sure what happens when you claim a crash with six ships already owned; at that point you might have to swap your current ship to claim the new one. If that’s the case, I would first summon the worst ship in my inventory, make that active, then swap it for the new one. 

If you're not sure about what’s going to happen, you can always make a manual save before doing anything (use the waypoint beacon if there’s one near the ship, or build a save point or save beacon). That way you don’t have to worry about overwriting your autosave while you mess around with getting in and out of ships. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    There's an output setting on your refiner to set it for just the amount you want to refine.  Load up the input box with your pile of copper.  Set the output quantity on the right hand side to whatever amount you want and it will stop automatically at that point.  When it's done you just collect the output and put it in inventory.  You can also take the input pile back out as well.
    One thing I don't like is that you can't reclaim the material used to supply power.
    The leftover fuel goes back into your inventory when you pick up the refiner. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Wintermute
    @nalex66 summed it up rather well.  If you claim a ship your current one should remain in the same location (assuming you have less than 6 ships total) so you ca claim the ship, walk back to your arrival ship and board it.  Fly it back to base then use the recall menu (I really need a pic here!) to summon your other ship (it is the button with 4 ships on it) to your current location, then you can start work :)
    I've hit over 200 hours over 3 saves...  It is a good game that brings you back to play...

RattyUK said:
    @bigmike20vt - you can summon your Freighter to you from anywhere, it doesn't require any fuel to do this. You only need fuel in the Freighter if you wish to jump it manually to a new destination, nice when the upgrades are done and it can jump many LY and not limited to systems of any particular star colour (as in the drives needed for your starships as you upgrade them.)
    I didn’t realize freighters could jump to any star type. I just finished putting cadmium drives in two of my starships. 
    Wintermute
    edited September 2019
    nalex66 said:
    RattyUK said:
    @bigmike20vt - you can summon your Freighter to you from anywhere, it doesn't require any fuel to do this. You only need fuel9 in the Freighter if you wish to jump it manually to a new destination, nice when the upgrades are done and it can jump many LY and not limited to systems of any particular star colour (as in the drives needed for your starships as you upgrade them.)
    I didn’t realize freighters could jump to any star type. I just finished putting cadmium drives in two of my starships. 
    Getting the drive upgrades was (I think) easier before beyond as all that was needed was materials, I believe now you have to collect Salvaged Frigate Modules for the upgrades (happy to be wrong)...
    I was 'lucky' to have an A class freighter as my 'freebie' and found a S class only a couple of weeks ago.  A freighter fully upgraded should jump in excess of 1000 Ly to anywhere which can be useful when out exploring and not having all of the drives installed on your starship.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,106 Valuable Player
    really stupid question..... I want to increase the slots on my exosuit but am i being blind (likely)

I bought a few upgrades for it, such as life support and what not... but i could not see an option to increase the number of slots....... who do i need to talk to to do this?  i have 3 i think space stations i have access to as well as that nexus thingybobs.

thanks for any help.

PS I am still on my starter ship.  does each ship have its own unique cockpit or are they all the same inside?

cheers
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited September 2019
    really stupid question..... I want to increase the slots on my exosuit but am i being blind (likely)

I bought a few upgrades for it, such as life support and what not... but i could not see an option to increase the number of slots....... who do i need to talk to to do this?  i have 3 i think space stations i have access to as well as that nexus thingybobs.

thanks for any help.

When you get to the space station, go to the exosuit upgrade vendor’s booth, and approach the cylindrical case with the hologram. Interact with that to get an extra slot (you can choose whether to put it in General, Technology, or Cargo). There should be a button to buy* the upgrade at the bottom of the screen. You get one per space station, plus one per system in the Anomaly (you can summon it from the quick menu when you’re in space). 

The other way way to get extra suit slots is from drop pods on planets. You can find them by flying low and scanning, or scanning with your Analysis Visor on foot (or perhaps with a signal booster?). They’re large pods that have the same suit hologram cylinder in them like you see at the vendors. You have to repair three things with common or uncommon materials (one of them is always antimatter), and then you get a slot upgrade from it.
    httpsgamepediacursecdncomnomanssky_gamepediathumb336Buildingsdamagedmachinepng300px-Buildingsdamagedmachinepngversion5d850622012456773951d403838899cd

*The suit slot upgrades have been free up until now, even though a price shows on the upgrade screen. The latest experimental patch fixes it so that you now pay for the extra slots. If you’re not in the experimental beta branch, you might want to run around to your accessible space stations and grab the slots before the patch goes into wide release. 
    PS I am still on my starter ship.  does each ship have its own unique cockpit or are they all the same inside?

cheers
    Each cockpit I’ve had was similar but unique. I assume there’s a cockpit for each different canopy style that you can see on the exterior of the ship. (Maybe a half-dozen different styles?)

My current ship has the bubble canopy that was shown in the official Beyond update release notes:

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,245 Valuable Player
    edited September 2019
     I really wish they would bring out ships that you could walk around in like the Millennium Falcon. A home in space would be great. Always wanted this for ED.
     I really wish they would bring out ships that you could walk around in like the Millennium Falcon. A home in space would be great. Always wanted this for ED.
    Freighters are basically this--you can build a whole base in them if you don't want to be bound to any one planet. You don't get to pilot them directly, though.
    So you can build a base in it but not use it as a ship to fly?
    You can warp to systems with it, but not directly fly it around (as far as I know). It has nine docking pads inside to keep your ships in it, and NPC pilots will also come in and land like at space stations. You can get into your ship and fly out of the freighter to go to planets, and when you're on foot on a planet, you can use the Quick Menu summon command to bring it close to the planet you're on.

Incidentally, when you see freighters in space, you can fly in and land, and go say hi to the captain.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,106 Valuable Player
    edited September 2019
    think of it like the personal fleet carrier in that other space game we sometimes play ;)  (but you can walk around it and base build in it)

edit damn i though i was on the elite dangerous forum so the above does not make sense.

basically freighers are executive control ships you can give commands to but not fly.   basically what nalex said
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    My PC died so I am in a position at the moment of fixing it or buying a new one. Unfortunately after three holidays and  I need my garden landscaped front and back it may be a little delayed. :( Can't wait to get to get back to it.
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    You can warp to systems with it, but not directly fly it around (as far as I know). It has nine docking pads inside to keep your ships in it, and NPC pilots will also come in and land like at space stations. You can get into your ship and fly out of the freighter to go to planets, and when you're on foot on a planet, you can use the Quick Menu summon command to bring it close to the planet you're on.

Incidentally, when you see freighters in space, you can fly in and land, and go say hi to the captain.

Cool, I didn't know any of these little tidbits.  I like the idea of having a mobile base like this.  Do freighters have large open areas to put a good sized base in?
    Now I did read somewhere that you CAN'T dismantle a base on a freighter once it's in.  This sounds like a bug, but is it true right now?  If so, I'm sure this would get fixed at some point.
    edited September 2019
    I haven't gone very far with building in my freighter yet, so I don't know all the ins and outs. I have read that the overseer quest line can get buggy if you do it in a freighter (it's a quest to build a more advanced base and hire NPCs to work there), so I'm doing that stuff at my main planetary base for now.
  • danielcrispindanielcrispin Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    The worst game ever released on PC is coming to VR! I can't wait not to buy it! :)
    Wintermute
    The worst game ever released on PC is coming to VR! I can't wait not to buy it! :)
    You're fine, no-one will force you...
    ... and you are a bit out-of-date, it has come to VR :)

Wintermute
    Base building in the Freighter is a simple as getting sufficient materials to build large rooms/corridors until you have expanded enough to put in the things you need, a very large space can be created for planters/technicians/refiners etc.

You wiill use many 1000's of materials to do so, so it won't be a quick job - save up every bit of Silver you can as that is the principal material.

Get a fleet of Frigates too and place a trade terminal on your Freighter...   Lots of good stuff to be collected by missions and fairly good payouts on exploration/trade missions too.

edited September 2019
    Good to know, I've been selling silver because I didn't have a use for it. I currently only have one frigate in my fleet. I'm not sure how I get more of them, nor how I get the freighter salvage parts needed to unlock freighter upgrades. I've had enough to do that I haven't invested much time yet in the freighter stuff. My current freighter seems a bit low-end--it has fewer inventory slots than my starship, so I may not want to invest heavily in building it up if there are better freighters to get.
    Wintermute
    The biggest Freighter has 34 slots (originally 48, but I don't think they will appear any more) so not massive capacity.
    Frigates are hired, when you arrive in a system there may be a fleet already there, or may arrive pretty soon, a Green? symbal appears by the Frigates for hire, take note of their specialities and any other additional info given, they will rank up from C to S as they do missions successfully.  (one of my Combat Frigates went S class last week!)
    I think you get the Salvage parts from Crash sites and maybe blowing up other ships.

Gather loads of money, and materials, so that when the better ship comes along you can buy it, remembering to transfer your goodies BEFORE hitting the yes button (guess how I found out :)

• DTHDTH Posts: 258
    Nexus 6
    I'm new to all this but it will work with my Rift S and I do not need to find my x box controller as it will work with the two controllers  I hold in my hands?  Anyone know if the underwater video I saw will be a pay or free add on?  or is it already part of the game?
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Yes no man's sky will work with your rift s controllers and so far all updates have been free. I have not found any water on a planet but I believe a few posts back there is mention of swimming under water 
    You can swim, and there are underwater exocraft and a set of underwater base-building parts. 
    Trinity
    RattyUK said:
    Base building in the Freighter is a simple as getting sufficient materials to build large rooms/corridors until you have expanded enough to put in the things you need, a very large space can be created for planters/technicians/refiners etc.

You wiill use many 1000's of materials to do so, so it won't be a quick job - save up every bit of Silver you can as that is the principal material.

Get a fleet of Frigates too and place a trade terminal on your Freighter...   Lots of good stuff to be collected by missions and fairly good payouts on exploration/trade missions too.
    I haven't even completed the storyline far enough to get the freighter. 
    I'm thinking of relocating my base (it's a little one with just a few items I built) next to a sizable trading outpost on my home planet.
    While you guys strategize about freighter fleets, I'm still on the ground trying to figure out where to put up my damn tent.  I'll get there, but it will be a little while.  I do like everything about this game so far.
    I absolutely love the freedom the game gives you to progress at your own pace.  It's my favorite aspect of the game.