New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,551 Valuable Player
    Just got my PC working again, wow they certainly improved the graphics since last I logged in. What a brilliant game another 4 hours lost.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    I just got my fist freighter and pulling up to it for the first time I felt very small.  I even got lost in it.  Love it in VR how to people enjoy NMS without VR?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,290 Valuable Player
    DTH said:
    I just got my fist freighter and pulling up to it for the first time I felt very small.  I even got lost in it.  Love it in VR how to people enjoy NMS without VR?
    Indeed it is the problem with VR imo. Some games once you play in VR lose any interest playing on a monitor.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    @Rob_In_Phoenix (and maybe @nalex66 ) - once the Sentinels start attacking, if oyu jump straight into space Snetinel ships will drop in to say hello, if you can blow them up you can get some rather nice goodies in exchange...  But they are quite tough...
    Easiest way to calm things down is to jump in your ship and circle the site until to 'searching' counter zeros, then you can land, rinse and repeat or take off feeling secure that nothing unpleasant awaits you in space.  (The ships will chase you through the atmosphere too... )
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,945 Valuable Player
    Just started continuing the storyline and now have a couple of staff working in my base now. :D

Although they're working in the rain because I couldn't be arsed to make my base look nice. It's all one level, made out of wood and the station that the Overseer needs and the Science station are too tall to fit in my base so I just took the roof/floor sections out so that the top of the stations are poking out lololol  :D

I also started the Atlas missions too but stopped partway through to do the base building stuff first.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,017 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, every time I fly to space Atlas bugs me to go do his mission. I guess I should get on with it, but I’ve got a list of other things I want to do. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    I've put in around 48 hours I think so far and I've only gotten around to the Anomaly and stuff these last couple of days lol

I've been having too much fun just flying around and scanning stuff :D
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    I've got a weird bug happening with the latest experimental build update. I was trying to send out a new frigate mission from my freighter, but when I talk to my navigator to open the expedition menu, my viewpoint suddenly shoots out into space, so I'm looking at my freighter from afar. When I click left trigger to close the menu, I return to my body. The view is nice, but now I can't do any more expeditions.
    Did you ever get this sorted?  You could report the bug perhaps and it might get fixed.  I don't have a freighter yet so I don't know anything about this phase of the game. 
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    RattyUK said:
    @Rob_In_Phoenix (and maybe @nalex66 ) - once the Sentinels start attacking, if oyu jump straight into space Snetinel ships will drop in to say hello, if you can blow them up you can get some rather nice goodies in exchange...  But they are quite tough...
    Easiest way to calm things down is to jump in your ship and circle the site until to 'searching' counter zeros, then you can land, rinse and repeat or take off feeling secure that nothing unpleasant awaits you in space.  (The ships will chase you through the atmosphere too... )
    Thanks for the heads up Ratty.  My mistake was going into space.  I've also read that digging holes or running into buildings can help you evade sentinels.  I'll take another crack at those gravitino balls.
    I realize now that I don't have any fighting skills, especially in ship to ship combat.  I'll need to change that.  I'm thinking about saving up for a fighter and putting some weaponry on it.  We'll see how that works out.
    nalex66 said:
    I've got a weird bug happening with the latest experimental build update. I was trying to send out a new frigate mission from my freighter, but when I talk to my navigator to open the expedition menu, my viewpoint suddenly shoots out into space, so I'm looking at my freighter from afar. When I click left trigger to close the menu, I return to my body. The view is nice, but now I can't do any more expeditions.
    Did you ever get this sorted?  You could report the bug perhaps and it might get fixed.  I don't have a freighter yet so I don't know anything about this phase of the game. 
    I had a new update to the experimental branch when I launched Steam tonight, and my save happened to be in my freighter, so I checked it first thing, and the problem was gone. I did report the bug to Hello Games through their feedback site last week.

This is the view I had when the bug shot me out into space:

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    Digging holes does work - great for blowing up armoured doors...   But be aware that the 'dog' sentinel will often come down the hole after you (obviously a genetically modified terrier!) and there is nowhere to go to get away without 'digging' further :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Is anyone else getting freighters following them around..? There always seems to be two groups of ships that keep on following me wherever I go. I think it might be related to me rescuing freighters from pirates a couple of times and then refusing to take over the command of them. When I've done that I get them saying that I've got control of the ships for some reason. I just took it as a minor bug in the line of text that gets displayed but not sure if having ships jumping into space around you whenever you warp happens for everyone else all the time?
    Okay, so I've started the Abyss missions. Found the crashed ship, built my mini-sub and now have the coordinates for the freighter under the water. But I can't get to the bloody thing in my sub because I have to go over land to reach the body of water that it's in.

I'm thinking of just taking off in my ship, flying over to it and then building another bloody sub to get to the bloomin thing. A bit long winded though. Anyone got any ideas?
    Couldn't do that, it wouldn't let me. I ended up digging a bloody great big long tunnel through the land masses at water level lol :D

Took me fucking AGES lmfao  :D
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,519 Valuable Player
    Lol, after Asgard's Wrath, Borderlands 2 VR, Pistol Whip and Stormland I've completely forgotten about No Man's Sky. 

How is the game today - has performance been improved? 

I know - I could just start the game, but it's on Steam and only my Index works there and I only got one controller for now... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
    Wish I could tell you but I haven't played it for many weeks now, Iv been busy and just picked up Stormland so I possible won't try it for a few weeks
    However I was running 90 fps back then
    I7 9700k oc
    Rtx 2080 oc
    16gb ram
    Performance is about the same the last time I played about a week ago.
    edited November 2019
    Big update coming tomorrow, with a bunch of nice new features and improvements, and some new VR functionality: creature riding and photo mode!

Also includes the ability to upgrade your ship's class and slots, so you don't have to spend forever waiting for the perfect ship to spawn at a station. And, you can now scrap unwanted ships for cash!
    Probably a bit late but my god this game is amazing. Bit of a learning curve in the beginning which put me off at first

What with Reading the Bobiverse again and playing this game, I am in heaven 😀
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,519 Valuable Player
    edited May 31
    Probably a bit late but my god this game is amazing. Bit of a learning curve in the beginning which put me off at first

What with Reading the Bobiverse again and playing this game, I am in heaven 😀
    Performance and graphics were really bad when I played it the last time - maybe like 4 months ago. Has anything improved? 

Thinking this game will be really cool, when I get a 3080 (Ti)  B)

This is the one game I'd love to play using CV1 ss 2.0 (because I'd love the SDE to fool my brain to make the low-res testures look more high-res) - unfortunately, to my knowledge there's no native Oculus driver support - and I refuse to remove the Index. 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1643171537290904176/?ctp=2
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited May 31
    I have it running at 200 percent with my 2060 Super. Looks great to me. I do have much lower standards than you though runes ;)

It does however seem to crash regularly, killing my PC.

It can chug a bit depending on where I am sometimes. If I have it on 200 percent and enhanced graphics it is fine on the planet but taking off into the atmosphere it can lag a bit. I reduced it down to 150.

I am still in awe of it, it almost seems like a next generation game. How somebody creates something like this is beyond me.

• DTHDTH Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    I have no problems with it at all.  Thinking of going to the index because  Oculus updates keeps me from using X Pane. tell someone fixes it.  untell Oculus brakes it again. 
    It's now got Dune style sand worms apparently. Haven't checked it it yet though, am still busy with Skyrim VR.

Pretty crazy that they've been doing these big content updates for free. I'm almost feel guilty for installing and playing them! 😲😂
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,567 Valuable Player
    Yeah it's good - it's been my main VR game for a couple of months now, doing 4-5 hours every day. The update has some unfortunate bugs in VR, but nothing game breaking and I'm sure they'll sort it out before too long.

Deleted all 5 of my save games - over 500 hours worth - and started afresh. reckoned it was the safest thing to do after all the complaints of borked games and bases on reddit. I don't mind, anyway, I like the first 50-80 hours and tend to restart at that point, anyway. I got a hell of a problem with my Index controllers in this game, though. They become unresponsive after less than an hour, but not every time. Support are looking into it. It plays very well on Quest wireless, as well.

I briefly checked out the update last night to see how my home planet had changed. Some giant twisty tree stumps tower over my base now and make it a bit hard to land my ship, and my lush red planet is now dark purple-grey. I’ve seen some impressive screenshots of the new cloud system, but unfortunately the performance in VR seemed to be a lot worse. I was getting a fair bit of hitching and stuttering, even after turning down the resolution scaling in SteamVR. Looking forward to really cranking up the settings once I have an RTX 3080. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,656 Valuable Player
    DTH said:
    I have no problems with it at all.  Thinking of going to the index because  Oculus updates keeps me from using X Pane. tell someone fixes it.  untell Oculus brakes it again. 
    The latest X Plane 11.50r3 (= 11.50 final) Vulcan works fine with Oculus v20. I don't know for sure but I think XP (Laminar) actually fixed this. I think that there still may be a bit of trickery here because when I look at some of my Oculus app error txt files (%appdata% Oculus) it shows session terminated every time I exit xp11.  Who cares, it's fixed, lol!

In any case I still prefer my Vive Pro for all my flight/racing sims.  My Rift cv1 is just a backup for these sims and it still works fine with all of them.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).