HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited August 4
    Well I can't comment on the bugs or whether it's boring or not but they've worked hard on the game since it launched 3 years ago.

Probably one of the most disappointing launches in video game history I would have thought, but with several updates they've basically added everything that everyone expected the game to have on launch day plus more.

I'm probably going to like it because:

1) It's a game where you fly a spaceship

2) It's a game with the opportunity for LOADS of exploring and discovery

3) There's bound to be loads of grinding

Some people think that Elite Dangerous is boring but for me it's the best VR game available right now and has been since it launched. Different strokes for different folks I guess!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,987 Valuable Player
    edited August 5
    Digikid1 said:
    I thought that this game had failed...BIG TIME.....due to it being boring and buggy as hell.
    Game had a very poor launch but the post launch support has been what should be used as the gold standard of how to support your game post release.
    Sure, it never should have launched when it did, but that is water under the bridge now..... but the number of free dlc updates has been superb. From what i can tell it is practically a different game now since launch.

boring of course is subjective....... The game has some grindy mechanics in it, but imo it isnt painful grinding if you are enjoying whilst doing it (bias warning here...... I dont find there is much annoying grind in Elite Dangerous either, and yet some would say that is one of the grindiest non free 2 play games ever made)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    This sounds very promising:

"But in No Man’s Sky all of that feels much more thoughtful. You point at your left wrist with your right hand to make little holographic icons pop up to access your inventory, which then becomes a floating hologram attached to your wrist. When you summon your ship you actually drag the 3D outline of it off of your wrist and place it in the world to spawn. Building things is handled the same way with a really intuitive drag, point, and drop system. It feels like the sort of thing you’ve see in a sci-fi film a thousand times. At no point did I feel like I was playing a game that was obviously ported from a non-VR format and at the end of the day that’s just about the highest compliment I can pay No Man’s Sky considering it was released almost three years ago without VR support at all."

https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-no-mans-sky-vr-is-a-world-of-limitless-possibilities/
    Just found a review that some people may find useful:

So it was basically REALLY grindy exactly a year ago, but I'm fine with that because I love the grind lol

And it should be noted that they've had several more updates since that review of the Next update was released: The Abyss in October 2018 and Visions in November 2018 and of course we have Beyond releasing on the 14th of this month.

I'm not big on online multiplayer games but the addition of the Galactic Atlas where you can log discoveries always floats my boat cos I like to have my name in games for discovering stuff, it's one of my favourite things about Elite Dangerous.

And the best thing is that if Beyond doesn't tickle your fancy Hello Games are regularly updating the game and adding new features and making improvements so chances are that later on down the road there may be something that makes the game more playable for you.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Another informative video here giving more details of the updates from the first release here:

B) 

And another review of Next from a Geordie who's channel is called Worth A Buy:

I love Geordies, have never met a bad one and have always liked this guy's reviews.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,027 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:

I love Geordies, have never met a bad one and have always liked this guy's reviews.
    There you go. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,569 Valuable Player
    I just saw in the YouTube comments someone say: "There is a creative mode where you don't have to grind. You just explore, build and have fun." Not sure if this is true but if you don't like to grind it might be helpful to some of you.
    snowdog said:

I dont mind Mack's (worthabuy) videos however as time has gone on his rants i think are becoming more and more exaggerated, to the point where I think he has created a character which he now forces.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,701 Volunteer Moderator
    I don’t mind a bit of grind, as long as it feels reasonably balanced and rewarding. In Fallout 4, for example, you sometimes have to go scrounging for uncommon materials to repair your top-end gear, but it’s never too hard to get what you need. In Fallout 76, on the other hand, they extended the grind to the point that I just can’t play it. Enemies are bullet sponges, using up much more ammo than they drop. As a result, I was constantly looking for lead to craft more, but it costs money to fast travel to vendors or farming locations. I reached a point where I had no money, no resources, and no ammo to fight the hordes while walking around looking for money, resources, and ammo. The whole game just ground to a halt. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited August 6
    damn..... after buying ESO and not liking it it looks like i really should not have bought FO76..... Sadly i was reccomended that it is much less "free to play" feeling than ESO so not only I, but i persuaded a handful of mates to buy it. :(

like @nalex66 I am fine with some grind but if getting base stuff becomes a chore that is bad imo.

That said grind for one is gameplay for another.like I have said before some say ED is full of grind but it is not like that for me.
    I might be tempted to playing the Survivor mode, I think they're adding a permadeath to it too if they haven't already lol. Might be a bit TOO crazy to play though. One of the things that put me off World Of Warcraft was the fact that when you died you didn't really lose anything. I would have preferred either a permadeath or at least some MAJOR downsides to your character getting killed. People at work thought I was a bit mental wanting that lol  :D

I love a bit of grinding! I think it comes down to a person's age. Old gits like me (47 years old) used to grind like crazy when these games first started out. The first Elite game was a REAL grindfest, getting Elite status was VERY difficult and took A LOT of time but telling your mates at school that you've managed it was awesome. B)

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Oh Zen, you wont regret it, im not going to explain why or go into detail about it (don't want to spoil it)... You just have to take a leap of faith. 2D version of this game is CRAZY, VR version? If my calculations are correct, this should be in the top 5 VR games for years to come. The concept and atmosphere will be a dream come true. If you like exploration and discovery. You cannot go wrong.

This game is going to own me, I swear.. I wont play anything else, for a while.

Is it the 14th yet..? 😂😂😂

I wish they hadn't given us so much notice, the wait is driving me CRAZY  :o

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 899
    3Jane
    I'm very interested in seeing how they 'do' VR in NMS, I did download the Vulkan experimental and it made the game much smoother - despite the 'management' side of the game, if they have implemented VR well it is going to be on another level entirely.  Even I'm looking forward to the 14th :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    3Jane
    snowdog said:
    Waddya mean, driving?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

• AekeroAekero Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Oh nice! Flying in elite was one of the cooler things for me, nms looks super promising. Sorry if I missed it but is it coming to Oculus store or will we have to use steam?

P.s.- elite is working on more robust tutorials, not sure how helpful they will/won't be but may be worth trying again down the line.
    3Jane
    edited August 6
    Aekero said:
    Oh nice! Flying in elite was one of the cooler things for me, nms looks super promising. Sorry if I missed it but is it coming to Oculus store or will we have to use steam?

P.s.- elite is working on more robust tutorials, not sure how helpful they will/won't be but may be worth trying again down the line.
    Steam currently, sorry.
    Even in pancake flight is good, the combat model is simpler (not Newtonian Physics) and enemies vary from easy to worrying :)

RattyUK said:
    snowdog said:
    Waddya mean, driving?

I honestly don't know what you mean, I'm as sane as the next man...

*Looks across to @Zenbane

Oh.

Bugger.

😂

• sford52sford52 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    I just saw in the YouTube comments someone say: "There is a creative mode where you don't have to grind. You just explore, build and have fun." Not sure if this is true but if you don't like to grind it might be helpful to some of you.
    Damn you.  I was all set to pass this up (I no grind) then you have to add this. Pffffft. Ok, come at me 8/14.
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    Launch Trailer.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,064 Valuable Player
    edited August 8
    Launch Trailer.

No Man's Sky is made using the devs own engine = no UE4 or Unity. And it's only available on Steam. It may all boil down to no ASW 2.0? ... I really hope the devs can impress with the VR performance...  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Does anyone know if the vulcan Beta can be used for VR? I saw one guy say his fps went from 60 fps in 2D to 130 fps using the vulcan beta.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,064 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Does anyone know if the vulcan Beta can be used for VR? I saw one guy say his fps went from 60 fps in 2D to 130 fps using the vulcan beta.

That would be awesome - for persons who don't already own the game, I'd wait for the VR reviews though. I've been hurt before, lol ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited August 8
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

That would be awesome - for persons who don't already own the game, I'd wait for the VR reviews though. I've been hurt before, lol ;)
    I'm just hoping the Vulcan beta works in VR because I would hate to see bad performance in VR. Also we might need a thread for people to get together in this game, I bet it's much more fun in coop mode.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,701 Volunteer Moderator
    Vulkan support is part of their optimizations for VR.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Oh shit!!!! We can soon ride on the alien lifeforms!!! Awesome!!!

I love horsies and now we can ride on the alien equivalent. :D :D :D