HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 340
    Trinity
    So the VR game plays feels very nice , it is something I'm going to have to learn the menuse and controls , I have had the game for a year but I only have 4 min of game time making every thing new , audio is nice and graphics are exactly like you see on the 2D game , nothing like Elite . I accidently discovered if I reach behind my left shoulder and grab it activates some sort of scanned mode that shows a bunch of objects and material locations in the distance
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,732 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    Can anyone tell me whether there is a left-handed mode (i.e. using your tool in your left hand and your menu on your right wrist)? I saw some of the options menus in a YouTube video, but I didn't see a setting for playing left-handed.
    No I cannot see Anyway to swap hands , looks like you can use a game controller and configure it as you like
    Ugh. I don't want to use a controller if they've implemented motion controls, but having to do everything wrong-handed is going to get tiresome quickly.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    edited August 14
    I get some serious motion sickness flying. Bummer.

Played with a ton of settings, something seems to be off... there is some type of overall blur going on. Overall, im on the fence if I like it or not. Annoyed because I started to get sick, guess I need more time with it to make a proper assessment. The movement controls kind of bug, they seem off.. a lot seems off, locating the health bars etc..I like the cockpits of the ships, they put some work into them. going to watch a movie and take a nap, need for this sickness to subside.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,596 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    @Shadowmask72 - What settings are you using? I have Steam Super Sampling set to 150% and mostly high graphics apart from Shadows and post processing. I have my fps set to 90 fps. What's the best setting with a Geforce 2080ti -Anyone?
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    nalex66 said:
    Can anyone tell me whether there is a left-handed mode (i.e. using your tool in your left hand and your menu on your right wrist)? I saw some of the options menus in a YouTube video, but I didn't see a setting for playing left-handed.
    No I cannot see Anyway to swap hands , looks like you can use a game controller and configure it as you like
    Ugh. I don't want to use a controller if they've implemented motion controls, but having to do everything wrong-handed is going to get tiresome quickly.
    I understand I'm a lefty as well , but living in a world of right handers I just go with it :(
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    @redrizla ; I need to play around. I was actually getting decent visuals on Ultra but lowered it down. But lots of reprojection. I disabled motion smoothing. I have my custom res at 150%. I actually bumped the game res up to 150% as well. I have Vsync OFF and any form of AA disabled.  I need to play more when I am not recording at the same time. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,011 Valuable Player
    Download is in .. alas not booked a gaming night so watching a stranger things with Mrs instead. May have cheeky go when she goes to bed
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,995 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    You guys are all hen-pecked.

You should tell these women that you're gaming cos you want to game. Wear those trousers, people, wear those trousers. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 904
    3Jane
    edited August 14
    A suggested setting that may be missed - performance-wise:
    wherever NMS is saved with steam, open the No Man's Sky folder / Binaries
    Right Click NMS.exe select properties / Compatibility / Change High DPI Settings
    Then select High DPI Scaling Override and set it to Aplication
    Apply then try NMS again..
    Suggested on the Steam Forum.

Also, re-map controls is currently FUBAR - wait for the next patch, I guess...

Controller can be successfully used by putting steam into Big Picture mode if not recognised in-game.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,649
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    @Shadowmask72 - What settings are you using? I have Steam Super Sampling set to 150% and mostly high graphics apart from Shadows and post processing. I have my fps set to 90 fps. What's the best setting with a Geforce 2080ti -Anyone?
    I don't know. Played around with it a bit. It feels demanding. 

I'm starting with no supersampling. I find that AA makes things blurry. Still getting reprojecting. 

The game feels pretty awesome but performance may be an issue. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited August 14
    I just saw this on Steam, but I'm not sure what if it helps perfomace or not. I have a 4k monitor. Maybe someone else can explain this if they know what this means? Here's the post on Steam. Also look at this link before reading what someone said on Steam.

Alright, people. I got it to run smooth without reprojection. Previously, reprojection was constantly active.

1070GTX
    Ryzen 2700
    etc etc

The problem isn't your system, (probably), it's that the game is NOT running in direct mode. That means your desktop settings will effect the game, including resolution and frame rate (when using v-sync). This will likely be patched. For now, here's how to get around the problem:

Go into your GPU control panel and force v-sync off. Your VR game is being locked to your desktop monitors refresh-rate, and if this is lower than your VR headset's refresh rate it causes reprojection to kick in all the time.

Then, go into the games graphics settings. Switch the game to fullscreen, and start reducing the resolution. By default the game is rendering at your desktop resolution, so you could be forcing a very high SS without knowing it, especially if your running a 4K or 1440p monitor. It does seem like the resolution is per-eye, even though it should be full-field. The vives per-eye resolution is 1080x1200, but you can't select that resolution so just set it close to that (or higher if you want SS).

Next, make sure the games maximum frame-rate option matches the hz of your VR headset. For the Vive, set it to 90. May as well disable v-sync here as well.

Now your game wont be locked to a refresh-rate lower than your headset, and you can adjust your resolution up and down to match your desired SS... kinda.

Enjoy!

*Edit - Yes, I have the game, I own it on GoG.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,129 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    Just spent an hour in the game - I wasn't very impressed, but I also just walked around looking for sodium, checked graphics settings and died, lol. 
    SteamVR at ss 100%. Very close to 90 fps using standard settings - but all settings Ultra didn't feel that much worse and felt like 45 fps x 2, sometimes better inside caves. No problems playing the game - never crashed. Main problem is that relatively nearby objects - and more distant objects - look like cut out from a 640x480 res, but TAA fixed that - but now everything is super-blurry. Ended up playing with all settings on Ultra and TXAA (no TAA). 
    The game doesn't look that demanding to me, tesselation doesn't seem to impact performance a lot. I think the devs should be able to get 90 fps using Ultra settings even on my aging GTX 1080. Looks like a PSVR port. NMS looks much worse than Seeking Dawn, but Seeking Dawn does have utterly amazing super-high-res textures + tesselation, and performance in NMS is also slightly worse the Seeking Dawn - but Seeking Dawn has come a long way the last year. 
    Took several years for Hello Games to get the game right in 2D, I'm sure the VR version will be perfect in 2022 ;)

Some say (Index Reddit) these settings should work best - but I think it's mumbo jumbo - the game is working just nicely on Ultra (just avoid TAA), unless you experience some special problems... Seems like tessellation is the only setting requiring a restart, anti aliasing changes instantly. 

Post image

BTW, some said that changing 2D screen res had an impact, but I couldn't verify that. 640x480 didn't result in better performance than 1920x1080. Did set fps to 90 though - but also don't think it really mattered. At least on my rig - using Forceware 417 and the Index (90 Hz). I had motion smoothing turned off - according to Tom's Hardware that should provide highest frame rate. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited August 14
    Without super sampling set to at-least 150% on Steam the game looks pretty bad to me. With a Geforce 2080ti I have had to go with Super sampling set to 180% in Steam and turn on ASW in the Oculus Tray tool. Now I'm getting 45fps that dips slightly with most setting on high and shadows on low. My God this game need some VR optimization.
    @RuneSR2 - What keys are used to get ASW working on the keyboard? I've tried using right Ctrl plus 1 2 3 4, but it doesn't do anything? I had to end up just enabling it in Oculus tray tool.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    I am getting 45 fps in afterburner but running game at Ultra settings now with AA disabled. Looks good and plays reasonably. I might try some of the other tweaks to see if that makes a difference. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,129 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    RedRizla said:
    Without super sampling set to at-least 150% on Steam the game looks pretty bad to me. With a Geforce 2080ti I have had to go with Super sampling set to 180% in Steam and turn on ASW in the Oculus Tray tool. Now I'm getting 45fps that dips slightly with most setting on high and shadows on low. My God this game need some VR optimization.
    @RuneSR2 - What keys are used to get ASW working on the keyboard? I've tried using right Ctrl plus 1 2 3 4, but it doesn't do anything? I had to end up just enabling it in Oculus tray tool.
    Using Index ss 100% (SteamVR) looks better than CV1 ss 2.0 (=200% in SteamVR), so I've found SteamVR ss 100% to be quite good. Shadowmask72 getting ss 150% using his Index is quite different from getting ss 150% using CV1, because Index has 80% higher res than the CV1.
    Using CV1 SteamVR ss 100% was measured as ss 1.4 in OTT. 
    I always use OTT to control ss, but typically OTT didn't work in Steam games, instead just set SteamVR application specific res to 200% for ss 2.0. You can always use the OTT Pixel Density HUD to verify the ss value you're getting inside a game.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    3Jane
    I'm starting to suspect that they shipped a beta build (as a build was pulled from Steam this morning then replaced this afternoon) while they fix whatever bugs reared their heads with the release version.  The loss of customised controls, lack of 'other controllers built-in' and generally awful performance just seems so 'different' to what Shaun was saying just a couple of days ago!
    The experimental Vulkan pancake version was rock solid and very fast, what we have now, even in pancake is unstable and in VR a dog's dinner.
    Just having a moan as my custom keyboard bindings disappeared...
    I'm sure it'll all be patched and good in the near future.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,276
    Wintermute
    RattyUK said:
    I'm starting to suspect that they shipped a beta build (as a build was pulled from Steam this morning then replaced this afternoon) while they fix whatever bugs reared their heads with the release version.  The loss of customised controls, lack of 'other controllers built-in' and generally awful performance just seems so 'different' to what Shaun was saying just a couple of days ago!
    The experimental Vulkan pancake version was rock solid and very fast, what we have now, even in pancake is unstable and in VR a dog's dinner.
    Ratty, are you saying that Vulkan does not work in VR mode right now?  If so, too bad since using it should improve graphics performance and cpu multithread usage.  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

Trinity
    So I played for a while settings on enhanced with AA off , I had a constant 90 fps except for the occasional dip. I took a break then went back into the game fps was crap 45 fps with jagged edges ever where. I changed settings to standard restarted game and still crap 45 fps
     The only way I could get 90 fps back was to delete no man's sky from the Oculus library
    I restarted steam launched no man's sky set graphic settings back to enhanced AA off closed game back to menu , launched back into game and I have a constant 90 fps
    Some how Oculus and steam aren't playing nice
    Good news is my leg is doing better playing VR games standing. Bad news is that my back has been screwed for 25 years or so, so I have to sit down and take a 15 minute break every hour or so.

I should go to the doctors and get it all sorted out but I've got way too many other medical issues to deal with at the moment as it is. I'm going to put it on my list of things to do!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

3Jane
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RattyUK said:
    Ratty, are you saying that Vulkan does not work in VR mode right now?  If so, too bad since using it should improve graphics performance and cpu multithread usage.  Thanks.
    I think it is still Vulkan based, but without any optimisation - particularly for VR - as even in pancake performance doesn't appear to be a smooth as the experimental.  It was hinted that Vulkan needed to be introduced in readiness for VR so I'm not sure exactly went wrong with the release, I was getting very good framerates in 4K flat...

Glad I didn't get hyped about this because the performance is shite. I just started The Forest that I haven't looked at in months and it has thick forest that looks nice with good performance. No Mans sky has little graphics on land and my performance is so up and down with blurry graphics.
    I'll test it some more but it's not looking good for me so far. How is it not able to perform well in VR with those graphics though?
    snowdog said:
    Restarted the game in a new place, should have noted the planet for a bug report but didn't think about it at the time. I basically got spawned in what looked like a bowl shape surrounded by mountains and my ship was outside the mountain range lol :D

Restarted on a different planet and have just started to repair my ship now and have now got visor scanner thingy.

I restarted my game 5 times and still can't find a fricken ship. Where the hell is it or how the hell do you even find it?
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 428
    Trinity
    edited August 14
    snowdog said:
    Good news is my leg is doing better playing VR games standing. Bad news is that my back has been screwed for 25 years or so, so I have to sit down and take a 15 minute break every hour or so.

I should go to the doctors and get it all sorted out but I've got way too many other medical issues to deal with at the moment as it is. I'm going to put it on my list of things to do!
    Use your Jetpack (B button) to climb mountains.  Took me a while to figure that out since I didn't see it listed in the tutorials.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    RedRizla said:
    snowdog said:
    Restarted the game in a new place, should have noted the planet for a bug report but didn't think about it at the time. I basically got spawned in what looked like a bowl shape surrounded by mountains and my ship was outside the mountain range lol :D

Restarted on a different planet and have just started to repair my ship now and have now got visor scanner thingy.

I restarted my game 5 times and still can't find a fricken ship. Where the hell is it or how the hell do you even find it?

Press down on the left stick to do a scan and it'll show up as a red mark on your HUD.

snowdog said:

Use your Jetpack (B button) to climb mountains.  Took me a while to figure that out since I didn't see it listed in the tutorials.

Bloody hell, that would have saved me a bit of bother lol. No idea why it isn't mentioned in the tutorials.

I seem to be the only one here without performance issues, although I have turned AA off. Textures are set to Ultra, Shadows Enhanced and everything else High. No problems at all, although I did get some MAJOR frames dropped at the start where you're travelling through the universe whilst it's crunching numbers like mental.

I'm really loving this game so far but just a quick heads up - don't attack Sentinels with the bog standard weapon. It doesn't end too well lmfao 😂😂😂

Forgot to mention there's a framerate option in there somewhere that's automatically set to 60, I changed it to 90 so maybe that's why?

Oh shit. This game is BIG. Someone on Facebook told me this:

No. 
    There are 18,000 trillion stars in NMS. And 1 to 6 worlds in each of those starsystems.

So that's 18 quadrillion star systems. An average of 3 planets per star. So that's 54 quadrillion planets.

Bloody hell lol 😂

Trinity
    RattyUK said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RattyUK said:
    I think it is still Vulkan based, but without any optimisation - particularly for VR - as even in pancake performance doesn't appear to be a smooth as the experimental.  It was hinted that Vulkan needed to be introduced in readiness for VR so I'm not sure exactly went wrong with the release, I was getting very good framerates in 4K flat...
    I think your correct I cannot get the game to run above 45 fps after exiting for a second time. I have even tried the 2d version and can't get fps above 60 with the same settings I was using before the update @160 ; fps or so
    RattyUK said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RattyUK said:
    I think your correct I cannot get the game to run above 45 fps after exiting for a second time. I have even tried the 2d version and can't get fps above 60 with the same settings I was using before the update @160 ; fps or so
    There is something strange happening with this game regarding performance. I was getting 90 fps and now I cant get above 45 fps. It's like ASW suddenly switched on but it isn't even on?
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    RattyUK said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RattyUK said:
    There is something strange happening with this game regarding performance. I was getting 90 fps and now I cant get above 45 fps. It's like ASW suddenly switched on but it isn't even on?
    I agree something odd is happening , whatever it is it's also affecting the 2d version so I do not think it's Oculus software , I went from 130 - 160 fps and now I'm at 60 fps with exact same settings I had this morning before the update