cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP female to HDMI male..W>T>F

DragonThreic
Honored Guest
So my laptop, according to your own system checker, meets and exceeds the requirements.  However; most laptops that are VR Ready to not have a DP or mini-DP port on the side they have an HDMI port so WHY DON'T YOU SUPPLY THE RIFT S WITH THE APPROPRIATE ADAPTER? I'm almost at the point where I am going to return my Oculus Rift S or chunk it in the Cumberland River. Please fix the issue....,.
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
HDMI to DP won't work as it is too slow apparently. It has been asked on r/oculus a lot.

sraura
Heroic Explorer

So my laptop, according to your own system checker, meets and exceeds the requirements.

However; most laptops that are VR Ready to not have a DP or mini-DP port on the side they have an HDMI port so WHY DON'T YOU SUPPLY THE RIFT S WITH THE APPROPRIATE ADAPTER? I'm almost at the point where I am going to return my Oculus Rift S or chunk it in the Cumberland River. Please fix the issue....,.
Who defines that your laptop is VR Ready. If it was laptop manufacturer, you might want to complain about them.
Oculus has Oculus-ready program and Oculus certified machines. Stamping VR ready to laptop doesn't make it automatically Oculus ready.
...and as @geebee666 kindy already kindly said, hdmi to display port adapter won't work. You might have luck with usb-c (thunderbolt 3) to displayport adapter, but only maybe and specially only if your laptop is wired so that the connection goes directly to your laptops discrete graphics card.
For further issues, would recommend contacting the person/company who sold you that "vr ready" laptop.
Also... this is community forum... if you still want to complain to Oculus, you should probably write ticket at support.oculus.com

RattyUK
Trustee

So my laptop, according to your own system checker, meets and exceeds the requirements.  However; most laptops that are VR Ready to not have a DP or mini-DP port on the side they have an HDMI port so WHY DON'T YOU SUPPLY THE RIFT S WITH THE APPROPRIATE ADAPTER? I'm almost at the point where I am going to return my Oculus Rift S or chunk it in the Cumberland River. Please fix the issue....,.

But most Laptops are not Oculus ready...

Rift S was sold with a miniDP adaptor, logically  - if it would work with a HDMI port, surely one would have been provided, or pointed to as a purchase - sorry to say that it appears you will have to refund the S if you do not have any kind of DP on your laptop...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

ShocksVR
Superstar

The system checker only checks your specs (CPU make, GPU make, USB 3.0 compatibility), it can't verify if you have a Displayport (I believe it states this on the checker).

Your laptop is VR Ready with respect to VR headsets released in 2016-2017 (HDMI based).  You can use the old Rift CV1, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality headsets, etc . . . .

But if you want to use a newer VR headset released in 2018-2019 and beyond (Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Rift S, Valve Index), you'll need a Displayport going forward.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable

geebee666 said:

HDMI to DP won't work as it is too slow apparently. It has been asked on r/oculus a lot.

HDMI and DP are pretty comparable in almost every way actually. There are subtle spec differences and they come into play more when the length of the run increases, but the tech itself can be interchanged back and forth with adapters for most other hardware.... but not the Rift S. I tried just about every adapter on the market including a very expensive KVM switch and no luck. The most I can do is use a 6 ft extension cable for the DP and even then that is not completely stable. I hate that they switched to DP. With the Rift I had my HDMI and USB cables running 30 ft and dropping down from the ceiling giving me total roomscale with all cables suspended above me. Now with the Rift S I'm stuck in a corner. I'm about to the point of doing something drastic and mounting my PC to my ceiling.