cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry I bought the Quest....too over-inflated-hyped-up-can't-do-anything-pay-twice-and-more VR

Oldschoolcool
Honored Guest
4$Yup, this is a great product but, it's ruined for these reasons: 
1.  The design should have the Rift S halo for compensating the weight of the unit.  I feel uncomfortable after 5 mins wearing the Quest.  I can wear my Rift S for hours playing....not with the Quest, though.  The slippery head strap material doesn't help to keep the weight off your cheek bones at all.  Meaning it slowly slips after a few seconds and keeps adding more and more pressure to the cheek bones.  It needs better gripping ability.  I.e..the Rift S halo.
2.  Allowing game devs/companies to charge again for purchasing the same game on the same account is a slap in the face and a cash grab.  This is pretty low and shady business I wish I knew about before buying the Quest.  Thank you to those games companies that aren't but, the others can kiss my back side.  I won't buy a single game again from your company, should I see you wanting me to buy the game again on my account I already own the game on.  And I see you hiding in the background, Oculus, for allowing these companies to do so.  Also, games are price hiked for Quest store games/apps....$5 to $10 dollars more compared to Rift S or Go games/apps.
3.  The library for anything is small.  Not very many choices from the store.  Probably to keep the proprietary apps to Oculus only or direct partners.  I was amazed that Hulu is not available or things I actually want.
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
1) It's a known fact the stock headstrap is uncomfortable...a simple google ahead of time to see what other users say would have told you this. That's why many of us have modified our Quests with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap...it makes a world of difference. Add a 20mm replacement foam for the strap from VR Cover, and it literally grips the back of my head, with no weight on my cheeks whatsoever. Personally, I hate the halo design, especially if you want to use your own headphones, as the design of the halo interferes with the ear cups of the headphones.

2) As for complaining about having to buy a game twice...it is not the exact same game, other than story board. They literally have to remodel every single character and object within the game, and then have to make sure it still runs on a mobile platform, while reducing framerate down from 90fps to 72fps. That takes a lot of work...and nobody works for free.

3) As for the size of the library...the Quest has only been out for 9 weeks. There's 50+ games and experiences so far, with the goal of 100 titles by the end of the year. Games take a lot of man hours to create, and AAA games take even longer. The Rift's library didn't happen overnight. VR is still young, and developers/studios needed to see that it wasn't just a fad before dumping their resources and money into it. But a few years into it now, and it's not slowing down...vr is definitely on the rise, and the devs are making more games. You just need to be patient...that's what happens when you're an early adapter.

https://uploadvr.com/porting-oculus-quest-vr-optimize/

RHunterr
Expert Protege
Meh.. I'll play wearing the Quest for hours at a time. The stock headstrap isn't uncomfortable to me whatsoever. Not once has it felt bad at all while wearing.
To each their own OP. The Quest is an awesome piece of hardware that is barely two months old. There's a large assortment of apps to d/l on it from the Occulus store already, and with sideloading (which I've not even felt the need to try yet) the possibilities are... well, tons more.

Oldschoolcool
Honored Guest

Spuzzum said:

1) It's a known fact the stock headstrap is uncomfortable...a simple google ahead of time to see what other users say would have told you this. That's why many of us have modified our Quests with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap...it makes a world of difference. Add a 20mm replacement foam for the strap from VR Cover, and it literally grips the back of my head, with no weight on my cheeks whatsoever. Personally, I hate the halo design, especially if you want to use your own headphones, as the design of the halo interferes with the ear cups of the headphones.

2) As for complaining about having to buy a game twice...it is not the exact same game, other than story board. They literally have to remodel every single character and object within the game, and then have to make sure it still runs on a mobile platform, while reducing framerate down from 90fps to 72fps. That takes a lot of work...and nobody works for free.

3) As for the size of the library...the Quest has only been out for 9 weeks. There's 50+ games and experiences so far, with the goal of 100 titles by the end of the year. Games take a lot of man hours to create, and AAA games take even longer. The Rift's library didn't happen overnight. VR is still young, and developers/studios needed to see that it wasn't just a fad before dumping their resources and money into it. But a few years into it now, and it's not slowing down...vr is definitely on the rise, and the devs are making more games. You just need to be patient...that's what happens when you're an early adapter.

Thank you for your reply Spuzzum,

I am old school...I had the first Atari with "Pong" as my first game at 6 years old.  I have seen every technology release through the 40+ years of video games.  I hold the bar high because any company that releases something for gaming better have their research done right or get torn up and spit out.  The strap was not done right and VR has been out since the 90's.  The technology is new for mobile platform VR being so small but, again the research for using slippery silicon head strap for a headset was dumb.  There are tons of old technology resources to have learned from, with specialized headgear, that does and does not work.  That was one of them that does not work.

As far as nobody working for free, I guess the makers for Starwars Vader Immortal Espisode 1 (ILMxLAB) and Robo Recall (Epic) did because they transferred over from purchases on Rift S to the Quest for free.  While the maker of Moss (Polyarc) https://www.polygon.com is wanting $29 (Quest price) as opposed to the $14.99 I paid for Rift S.  That is a very very good game with awesome graphics.  It was released just a couple weeks after the release of the Quest for the Quest.  I guess they were prepared way ahead or they didn't have to change a thing or their devs worked without sleep for 2 weeks strait (which I doubt).  In either case, all signs point to being greedy.

The reason I bought the Quest, in the first place was to have a VR (without buying another VR ready computer) so my wife and son could play in VR with me.  The library to choose from, that is family appropriate, is about 1 game for multiplayer (Rec Room). That was a mistake on my part because, I assumed that all the games would just instantly transfer because they are all Oculus Rift or Rift S or Quest and how big of a change could there have been or need to be?  Not that much as far as I'm concerned.  Look at Skyrim...that is an old game but released for VR and it is awesome.  If so much really needs to change, then that game should have taken years to redo for VR due to the sheer size and content but, I'm just making an educated guess that 80-90% of the work is already done to make an existing game transfer to different VR platforms (if it is already built in 3D world).

Edit:  After reading  the link you posted about Moss and the redesigning of the game to work on Quest by the game developers, just further justifies my view.  Devs are given a very small window to hit and make a good working, graphically beautiful, content worthy game that is not a resource hog.  Isn't this going backwards?  LOL.. The article stated realistically 2GB of working memory.  That is pushing the realistic scope of good game making out of the door.  So, I predict that it will be too difficult for really great games to develop with this first generation of Quest.  Hence, don't buy it.

I think there were a few assumptions there that I didn't make.

As Spuzzum says no-one works for free but it's possibly an assumption you're still making. Vader Immortal was designed and released for the Quest first, then ported to Rift both versions having Oculus sponsorship. With Robo Recall, again, Oculus sponsored, they're the one's paying the wages of the devs involved and you can bet the wages are being paid. The business case is there for both.... sell the software in order to sell headsets in order to build the ecosystem in order to sell software etc etc.

With other non-Oculus titles, the business case is different. It's down to the companies involved and what they consider to be the right for them. If anyone's already purchased a title on the Rift then absolutely the dev will not get any money from the work they do make it cross-buy on the Quest, but it's not quite as simple as that. They'll also be considering the people who don't have a Rift and who are getting into VR for the first time with a Quest.... also considering whether people are now more or less likely to buy a game if they have both headsets but the title is or isn't offered as cross-buy.

As for Moss, that's market forces, it's one of the best games for the Quest, they charge accordingly and they don't have Oculus sponsorship (as far as I'm aware). As more games become available that's likely to impact on pricing decisions. But I think it's a bit early to be calling it one way or the other as it's 10 weeks after launch.

I'm also someone who has no problems wearing the Quest and I've demo'd it to family and friends without a issue so the design isn't right for everyone but it's not a universal problem. It's always tempting to think that if something isn't right for oneself then it isn't right, full stop and that probably happens more in forums than anywhere else, but perhaps more salient advice would be to try before you buy. After all, that's what I would advise, not just for VR headsets but for just about everything.

I'm also old school and remember when good games were restricted to 16k. So 2Gb is a challenge today but only if people expect Rift-like complexity on a stand-alone headset and that's definitely not an assumption I've ever made.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
It is really great when devs make their game cross platform buy..... but i would say you have it wrong way around.... sure, champion those developers who choose to do this and possibly vote with your wallet and buy those games, which will encorage more to follow suit..
however i dont think you can lambast those who DONT do it.  Most (not all) games you buy on the ps3 dont work on the ps4 or ps vita.   most games you buy on the switch dont work on the DS, and most games you buy on xbox dont work on PC.
Like i said, there are exceptions (esp with the xbox/PC cross buy) but for the most part you are out of luck.
the quest is a very very different piece of hardware than a rift running on a PC, therefore it will take a lot of work to port games, which will often need money, either from quest sales or from oculus' pockets.

That said, it is in oculus' interests to possibly encourage more devs to do with even if it means Facebook money to do it.... because that may be a real tempter for some users to buy from oculus rather than rival storefronts like steam

We are really at the start of proper teathered consumer ready VR and even earlier in the life of mobile VR..... to to use OPs experience of classic games .... if the Rift is at the Atari ST level right now, then the quest is the gameboy colour....... (and Go would be the B&W gameboy)
Back in the day people were perfectly ok with adjusting their expectations of the gameboy and didnt expect 16bit quality of games on the mobile device, but it didnt stop it selling like hot cakes. Yes if you wait 5 years you will get much better games, but for most people, esp those without high end pc hmds, the quest is still pretty amazing imo.
(also gameboy didnt have cross buy with other high end devices)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

I am old school...I had the first Atari with "Pong" as my first game at 6 years old.  I have seen every technology release through the 40+ years of video games.  I hold the bar high because any company that releases something for gaming better have their research done right or get torn up and spit out.  The strap was not done right and VR has been out since the 90's.  The technology is new for mobile platform VR being so small but, again the research for using slippery silicon head strap for a headset was dumb.  There are tons of old technology resources to have learned from, with specialized headgear, that does and does not work.  That was one of them that does not work.

As far as nobody working for free, I guess the makers for Starwars Vader Immortal Espisode 1 (ILMxLAB) and Robo Recall (Epic) did because they transferred over from purchases on Rift S to the Quest for free.  While the maker of Moss (Polyarc) https://www.polygon.com is wanting $29 (Quest price) as opposed to the $14.99 I paid for Rift S.  That is a very very good game with awesome graphics.  It was released just a couple weeks after the release of the Quest for the Quest.  I guess they were prepared way ahead or they didn't have to change a thing or their devs worked without sleep for 2 weeks strait (which I doubt).  In either case, all signs point to being greedy.

The reason I bought the Quest, in the first place was to have a VR (without buying another VR ready computer) so my wife and son could play in VR with me.  The library to choose from, that is family appropriate, is about 1 game for multiplayer (Rec Room). That was a mistake on my part because, I assumed that all the games would just instantly transfer because they are all Oculus Rift or Rift S or Quest and how big of a change could there have been or need to be?  Not that much as far as I'm concerned.  Look at Skyrim...that is an old game but released for VR and it is awesome.  If so much really needs to change, then that game should have taken years to redo for VR due to the sheer size and content but, I'm just making an educated guess that 80-90% of the work is already done to make an existing game transfer to different VR platforms (if it is already built in 3D world).

Edit:  After reading  the link you posted about Moss and the redesigning of the game to work on Quest by the game developers, just further justifies my view.  Devs are given a very small window to hit and make a good working, graphically beautiful, content worthy game that is not a resource hog.  Isn't this going backwards?  LOL.. The article stated realistically 2GB of working memory.  That is pushing the realistic scope of good game making out of the door.  So, I predict that it will be too difficult for really great games to develop with this first generation of Quest.  Hence, don't buy it.

I'm old school as well...I bought my Atari 2600 in 1982, grade 9, with my newspaper route money. We've both seen 40+ years of video game technology. We've also both seen Playstation and Nintendo release both console and handheld console games...some of which were ported from the living room console to the portable console you could take anywhere. Did you see either of them give the ported games to portable for free just because you bought the game for the living room console? No...we did not. They charged for both copies. Don't kid yourself.

As for the comfort, or lack thereof...if you had done your research ahead of time, you would have known that it has issues. Some people are fine with it...others absolutely hate it. But for only $399, you can't really complain.

As for the devs not working for free...you mention Star Wars, which is more of a promotional game, paid for by both Facebook and ILMxLAB. You also mention Robo Recall: Unplugged...which was funded by Facebook. Facbook themselves took the hit on that, not the devs. They still got paid. As for Moss...not sure what you're talking about...the price for the Quest is $34.99, while being $2 cheaper for the Rift, at $32.99. At least those are the prices for us Canadians.

Did you not read the article I posted? It had nothing to do with a small window, but more to do with the fact they have to physically recreate everything in the game, reducing polygons in every single character and object on screen. Look at some of the videos showing the differences between the PCVR version of Robo Recall, and the Quest version. They are night and day. They put hundreds of hours into porting the games...and no, nobody works for free. If Facebook wants to pay the devs for porting to another platform, then fine...but don't expect it. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_7r5huQ7Y

edit: Forgot a point...

You're still complaining about the number of games available, even though the Quest has only been out for 11 weeks tomorrow. They can't just load a game from the Rift to the Quest, and porting a 90fps Rift game to a 72fps mobile processor of the Quest isn't as easy as flipping a switch. They have 50+ games already, with the plan of 100 titles by the end of the year. Even Atari didn't have 100 titles within their first year. I don't even think they had 100 titles in the first few years. This is what being an early adapter is all about...you bought the thing in it's early days, before it had a chance to grow. You could come back in a year or so if you want, or you can enjoy what's available...now. As for multiplayer games that are 'family appropriate'...they give you Rec Room, for free. Anything else, you just have to wait like everyone else. The devs know we want them...they just take time to create them. They will be coming though. Just be patient.

edit 2:  Another point...the Rift is pc gaming, and the Quest is console gaming. Do any of the big studios, such as EA Games, give a free copy of their game to any console gamer who bought a copy for the pc? No...they also charge for both. There's quite a few games from the pc ported to the console, and those studios still charge for both.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Spuzzum said:

This is like another game system than the original rift.  I.E. a different console.  It's less powerful, portable and runs on entirely different hardware.

Sega Genesis and SNES both had Street Fighter 2 games, they both charged for it, one person didn't get two copies of the same game for the price of 1 simply because they owned both consoles.  Of course Capcom had a profit motive to release the game on both systems just as devs of rift pc and rift quest games would have, but that doesn't change the fact that they had to actually program the game for both systems separately since they're on different hardware and there was an actual cost to the company to make those games.

Why is it that Oculus products that are essentially different game systems, have an expectation set forth that the games should be available on all platforms that share the name "Oculus" without additional costs?  I don't see an incentive for a developer to spend all their time making a conversion if they don't get compensation for it.  If nobody has the game and they will pay for it on Quest I see the incentive, but if a large group of buyers on the PC end bought quest and are now demanding a conversion with no pay, I could see that being a priority last project if it even came to light.

Oldschoolcool
Honored Guest
Everyone has valid points.  I'm not expecting a free game for every time a new platform comes out. It is usually improved and changed or expanded anyway.  I would pay/buy again..BUT, only if the game is improved and is running on a faster, better graphics, bigger content, utilizing the full performance capabilities that a new platform can perform at.
Now, with that being said.  The Quest is a backwards slide (although new technology) and developers are having to squeeze their same product (same game) through a smaller window.  Meaning it's been chopped, cut, trimmed down, slowed down, not as many pixels...etc..etc.. to get the same game to work on the Quest.  The ONLY reason to buy it again (in my own belief) is it's new, cool, must have, latest and greatest thing.  That is impulse buying.  I don't do that..  So, to recap, I would gladly pay for an improved version of a game...I.e. I've bought Skyrim a few times (PC, Switch for convenience while traveling, Steam VR)  and VR version is by far the best.  I won't pay the same or higher priced compared to the full version, for a watered down version of the exact same game.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really wish VR headset designers wouldn't over look one of the most important things, which to me has to be comfort. The Oculus Quest was in development long before Rift S and mabye that's why it didn't get the Halo design. However, I do wish Oculus would stop putting that shitty foam on their face plates and start using memory foam covered in PV leather, or make some deal with VR Cover who do know how to make something comfortable.
I couldn't give a rats ass if it adds £50 to the cost of a VR headset to make it more comfortable. You usually have to end up buying something from a 3rd party in any case, so it would just save time farting about if it was made comfortable in in the first place.