cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Lab Crashes

ExolGamer
Honored Guest
I just recently got the Oculus Rift S and it functions great. All the Oculus apps run perfectly fine and not a single on has an issue. However, on the opposite end, is Steam VR, particularly with THE LAB. I have ran VR CHat and Youtube VR on Steam VR perfectly fine. However, The Lab does not work.
The game will load the Valve load up screen, and then shows The Lab loading screen... but that is it. Everything stops there. If you are moving your head the headset screen begins to jitter back and forth but only The Lab application, exiting out works normally. I don't know what to do considering I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers once.
Both the Oculus drivers and SteamVR drivers have been reset completely and the game still crashes. Only on the VR screen however, not on the PC itself. Everything can be seen on the PC and the headset can be seen moving around. I have no idea what is going on and have worked on it for a day. uninstalled game and reinstalled. Nothing Works. I would love to play the game
considering it is a brand new set up with everything cleanly installed.
PC Specs as follow:
AMD Ryzen 7 (OC: 4100 MHz)
AMD Radeon Rx 5700
ASUS x-470 TUF-plus
16 GB of Ram
1 240 GB nVME SSD
1 512 GB SSD
1 1 TB HDD
Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6

Vorm17
Honored Guest
I have this exact problem with my AMD RX 5700 XT. Can't get it to work. When it crashes it stops displaying in the headset, but on the monitor it is tracking perfectly. It is very odd. I have a Windows Mixed Reality but this exact problem. I think AMD needs to do a fix for this one. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry, and I do not mean to be critical, but why the heck do some (looks like only a few) go to AMD/AMD with Oculus VR (and most hardcore 2d gamers/sim'rs) instead of Intel/Nvidia?  Surely it's not simply based on slightly lower costs since the $ differences to your overall investment in VR are pretty minimal imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Sorry, and I do not mean to be critical, but why the heck do some (looks like only a few) go to AMD/AMD with Oculus VR (and most hardcore 2d gamers/sim'rs) instead of Intel/Nvidia?  Surely it's not simply based on slightly lower costs since the $ differences to your overall investment in VR are pretty minimal imho.

Agreed, going the AMD road you may be on your own, especially using a brand new AMD video card. The Lab works perfectly using my CV1 and GTX 1080 - and it looks so much better - and works - using the Index. 

In case of problems with The Lab I'd start by contacting Valve (Steam) - instead of writing a forum post in here. It should work using Rift-S. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Nether_jh
Honored Guest

RuneSR2 said:

Agreed, going the AMD road you may be on your own, especially using a brand new AMD video card. The Lab works perfectly using my CV1 and GTX 1080 - and it looks so much better - and works - using the Index. 

In case of problems with The Lab I'd start by contacting Valve (Steam) - instead of writing a forum post in here. It should work using Rift-S. 

I have a Gtx 1060 and im having the same issues with The Lab not running so its not a hardware type of crash i believe

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Nether_jh said:

RuneSR2 said:

I have a Gtx 1060 and im having the same issues with The Lab not running so its not a hardware type of crash i believe

Maybe check your graphics setting.  Too high super sampling and/or SteamVR %Pixel Density may cause crashes.  Remember that if you are using Oculus super sampling and Steam VR %PD these are additive.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ROKIBE
Honored Guest

validate the game files, it worked for me