New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Storage?

BrayThaKid88BrayThaKid88 Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice about the Oculus Quest device. I'm aware that the Quest doesn't have a SD slot to increase data capacity but if the Quest is plugged into my PC, is it possible to transfer games from the Headset to my PC for storage purchases? Example if I am low on space, could I transfer one of my massive games to my PC to free up some space on the Quest and then put the game back on the headset in the future without having to redownload it?

Thank you in Advance,

Comments

• VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    Yes you can but you might lose your game saves. I have a Ravpower fileHub device that has a microSD slot so I can stream at 5ghz wifi to my quest via skybox app dlna. The filehub also has a usb 3 port so it can also stream/upload/download to and from a connected external hdd. Its also a portable wifi access point router.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
  • BrayThaKid88BrayThaKid88 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm honestly in a tough spot with making a choice. I could buy a Rift S but the Quest is tempting too for some reason, the freedom of no cords. I could save myself the hassle of worrying about storage if I just bought a Rift S to be honest.

Specs wise, I think I'm pretty good. AMD RX 580 with 8gb Vram, Ryzen 5 2600 Processor and 24gb ram for my PC.

Problem is...the SteamVR test says my PC meets the requirements for VR but the Oculus Compatibility Check tool says my PC doesn't meet the requirements. That's why I'm considering a Quest, just stream VR games to the Quest and if my PC isn't quite powerful enough, I'll still have a whole library of Quest titles to play.

Would you say the Quest is the better idea in this case or should I just get the Rift S instead? (Sorry for completely changing the topic XD)
    Art3mis
    @BrayThaKid88 - I would go with the quest because it uses ips not lcd and it has better resolution screen compared to the rift s. Plus you can side quest vr desktop's steamvr and use your desktop's cpu/gpu power on the quest. You will need a 5ghz wifi router for vr desktop to work without problems. You'll need to buy vr desktop on the oculus quest store then install side quest and turn on developer mode in the phone app. Follow side quest instructions and you'll be fine. So yes I'd go with the quest because of portability and utilizing your pcvr to play steamvr games etc.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
  • BrayThaKid88BrayThaKid88 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Got it, thanks. Guess the Quest will be my choice. I always thought the Quest looked like an amazing device. Regarding wifi, I have a 5ghz router but due to our shitty government here in Australia, our best speeds are 44 mbps on 5ghz. I pray that 44mbps is enough to stream pcvr to the Quest
    Art3mis
    @BrayThaKid88 - This video should help you to pcvr on the quest.

Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2