Touch vs Index controllers and why I prefer Touch - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Touch vs Index controllers and why I prefer Touch

12346»

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,089 Valuable Player
    edited August 18
    Hopefully the problem will soon be history:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cqsids/my_new_controllers_are_perfect_all_the_clicks/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cqlyo9/index_valve_rma_controllers/

Several users have gotten advance RMA meaning that Valve will ship new controllers first, so faulty controllers don't need to be returned, before new ones arrive.

Edit: Another one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cry40b/rmad_controllers_clicking_in_all_directions/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    edited August 16
    I'm also happy with my CV1 and I won't upgrade to any of the other headsets because they all seem to have problems, or a lack of things I want from a VR Headset. I thought VR would have come along away after the launch of the Oculus CV1, 3 years ago. And while I do except some small teething problems in these VR Headsets, I didn't expect to see them launching with the problems we have seen.
    I returned my Rift S after just a week due to all the problems at launch and I will not be purchasing a Valve index mainly due to glare. The controller problem doesn't sound good either, but my main issue is glare even if there is a way around the controller problem. We have lenses now that can prevent glare to some degree, so why didn't Valve use these lenses.
    Anyways, some people don't mind the glare so I guess they happy with their purchase. I don't mind a smaller Fov size, but I know that matters to some other people, so I guess it's down to the individual and what they want. All these headsets have there plus and minus right now. I much prefer out side in tracking to inside out myself, but others will like the inside out tracking better etc.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Hopefully the problem will soon be history:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cqsids/my_new_controllers_are_perfect_all_the_clicks/

Several users have gotten advance RMA meaning that Valve will ship new controllers first, so faulty controllers don't need to be returned, before new ones arrive.
    So they changed the DESIGN?! Wow...
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    Just throwing my .02 I really enjoy the Index controllers (huge step up from HTC wands) this clicking on the thumbstick is really nothing to my main complaint.  My issue is the actual LOCATION of the thumb stick.. it needs to be switched with Valves silly useless touch pads. It would feel soo much more natural if they were in the (imo) proper spot.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,398 Valuable Player
    edited August 16
    RedRizla said:
    I returned my Rift S after just a week due to all the problems at launch and I will not be purchasing a Valve index mainly due to glare. The controller problem doesn't sound good either, but my main issue is glare even if there is a way around the controller problem. We have lenses now that can prevent glare to some degree, so why didn't Valve use these lenses.

Agreed. I have seen too many reports of Glare, and that just seems like one of those unacceptable compromises for a new VR HMD in 2019, especially at that price point.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Evileyes said:
    Just throwing my .02 I really enjoy the Index controllers (huge step up from HTC wands) this clicking on the thumbstick is really nothing to my main complaint.  My issue is the actual LOCATION of the thumb stick.. it needs to be switched with Valves silly useless touch pads. It would feel soo much more natural if they were in the (imo) proper spot.

I've seen some complaints about that, since those who prefer the Thumbstick have to keep their thumb stretched out too far throughout lengthy gameplay. Depending on your hands, this can be a non-issue, or can lead to eventual discomfort. I believe it was on reddit where I saw one user report a "burning sensation" after awhile due to having the outstretched thumb during gameplay.

I can't help but wonder if the current design is the result of the Oculus patent on Touch? Maybe nobody else can put the Thumbstick in the more "proper" position on a VR hand-controller without violating Oculus' existing patent?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
    I just did my No Man's Sky Quest streaming video and I must say it just felt so different using the Touch controllers to play after spending so much time using the Knuckles. For one thing the Touch controllers are much lighter. They are just so different to hold but offer the same functionality. I can completely get why some people prefer one over the other now. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,622
    Project 2501
    edited August 16
    Evileyes said:

My main issue is something few people talk about--the way you grab. 

I'm playing NMS now and sometimes I let go the VR flight stick but it still thinks I'm holding the stick which causes me to fly in directions I don't want. 

It doesn't happen very often in games but does happen frequently enough to annoy me. Either an unintended grab or a release that isn't registered or I release when I didn't intend to. 

So, if grab is indicated by pressure instead of a clear button or trigger, it's obvious that the distinction between grabbing and not grabbing won't be as clear as it is with a button or trigger. 

Then there is the discomfort of the strap. 

Finally, finger tracking is really cool but also almost totally useless. The only use so far is making hand signs to people in multiplayer. 

Games with issues: 

1. Vox Machinae: I have to be very careful to fully open my hand after I shift the VR gear shifter.

2. Sairento: I keep grabbing or dropping my sword unintentionally. 

3. Defector: was playing through Revive. Kept dropping my gun accidentally. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    I think you confirmed a lot of my earlier suspicions @MowTin

The ability to use a "grab trigger" allows for more real-world simulation of Grabbing and Releasing. Afterall, we do "trigger" our muscles on our hands if we want to grab or release. Pressure plays very little role in the actual grab and release functionality of the hand. Pressure is applied for entirely different reasons, such as a reaction to the size or weight of the object being grabbed. But the actual act of "grabbing" is a muscle trigger action. So if we're going to simulate the act of grabbing with a hand-controller, then we need a proper trigger. And pressure aint it.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,962 Valuable Player
    edited August 16
    For one thing the Touch controllers are much lighter.
    You don't know what light means until you've tried some 13g lithium batteries. Pretty much half the weight of the typical Eneloop so many swear by.
    It also practically eliminates the spring compression issue when they're subjected so some serious g-forces in games like Beat Saber or Thrill of the Fight.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 426
    Trinity
    edited August 16
    What about controller alignment with the ingame gloves in NMS ? Seems like it may be a "bit off" with the Index ?

Rift S

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    @ShocksOculus I thought I noticed that in one of the "recommended settings" videos I shared.

I thought maybe it was just the way the video was made, but it seemed like something was a bit off with how her hands moved compared to what was happening in-game.
    edited August 19
    So I wanted to share an experience I had over the weekend. And maybe the OP can confirm or correct my assumptions here.

This weekend I hosted a good 5 hours of VR for 6 people. We went through multiple titles spanning multiple genres: Flight, Horror, Action, etc.

Everyone was interchanging the Rift CV1 and Touch controllers repeatedly. And this was varying age groups (from young teens to 40+ adults), throughout the entire session. The thing that I realized as a huge benefit of Oculus Touch, is how easily we can interchange them between people of different hand-sizes. Never once during the 5 hours of repeatedly going between 6 people of varying body types and hand-sizes did we ever run in to any issues.

I recall at least one post on reddit talking about a user who tried to switch the Index over to his girlfriend, and the Knuckles didn't work for her. The explanation I was given is that... users may need to re-calibrate Knuckles, especially when switching people multiple users.

So I would say that one huge advantage that Touch has over Knuckles, is the instant-reliability in hand-tracking accuracy when switching between multiple people. This is not only great for those of us who host VR sessions with friends and family, or people who do share their VR HMD with an entire household; but also any businesses that plan to run multiplayer VR arcades, and any organizations interested in VR for the Enterprise (e.g. Microsoft Power Point in VR) and require multiple employees interchanging the VR headset.

The Valve Knuckles very much seem like a "single user" experience, at least in their current state. Happy to hear some thoughts from MowTin or Shadow on this.
    :)