Oculus co-founder Nate Mitchell is leaving Facebook. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus co-founder Nate Mitchell is leaving Facebook.

VRoadRunnerVRoadRunner Posts: 3
NerveGear

“Hey everyone — I have some bittersweet news to share with this community. After 7 incredible years, I’ve decided to move on from Oculus / Facebook.”

“When we posted the Kickstarter in 2012, VR was mostly the stuff of science fiction. We didn’t know if people would take us seriously. We weren’t even sure we’d hit our original $250k target. But this community from around the world came together and helped make VR a reality. Fast forward just a few years later, and VR is changing people’s lives every day. This is because of you.”

“Virtual reality is still on the bleeding edge of technology, and this community continues to pioneer the way forward. What’s ahead is always unknown, and that’s what makes it exciting. Stay bold and keep chasing the future.”

“What’s next for me: I’m taking time to travel, be with family, and recharge. Of course, I’ll still be part of this community, but I’ll have a much smaller role to play.”

“I expect the incredible team at Facebook to continue to surprise and delight us on this mission to build the next computing platform. I can’t wait to see what comes next.”

“To everyone here: Thank you for your passion and creativity. Thank you for believing in the impossible. Thank you for inspiring us everyday.”

“Thanks for 7 amazing years.”

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,271 Volunteer Moderator
    Cheers Nate and thanks for all the fish ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,296 Valuable Player
    Late, Nate.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,572 Valuable Player
    Wishing a safe trip and a speedy return when ready.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,064 Valuable Player
    edited August 15
    All the best Nate, thanks for 7 great years 👍🏻 It has been such an amazing journey and the enthusiasm you brought was incredible.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,531 Valuable Player
    Yes all the best, it has been a great run!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    Bloody hell, I think there's only one original member left once he's gone!  :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 325
    Trinity
    Enjoy the time with family
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,916 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    Sad to see him go, something just "likeable" about the guy every time I saw him interviewed.  His enthusiasm was infectious and a really good person for Oculus to have on board.  I dont blame him however, we only get one go at life AFAIK and family should come 1st. I doubt he will ever need to worry about paying the bills again so why not take it easy?

Another big loss however. :(

I wish him (/you if Nate is the OP!) well and do hope one day to see him (/you) back.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,916 Valuable Player
    To be fair sometimes this damn forum makes it so hard to log in maybe a new account would be easier  ;)

That said I agree.... title in 3rd person and quotes in the post.... I thought the same thing, however just in case...................
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,890 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    Nate posted the info here yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cpvv0x/thanks_for_believing_in_the_impossible/?ref=readnext

Probably my favorite take-home-message from Nate:

"Virtual reality is still on the bleeding edge of technology, and this community continues to pioneer the way forward. What’s ahead is always unknown, and that’s what makes it exciting. Stay bold and keep chasing the future."

Hopefully he'll be back someday, when first VR gets in your blood ;) But also sad to see him leave after Luckey and Iribe.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,890 Valuable Player
    kojack said:

you if Nate is the OP!
    On the one hand, the OP joined to post this.
    On the other, someone wouldn't put every paragraph in quotes if they were saying it themselves (and the subject sounds wrong. On reddit the same post content had the title of "Thanks for believing in the impossible").

Nate does have an account on here with his full name from 2013, with 0 posts and last visit in 2014. He might have forgotten his password. :)

Agreed - I think the original post appeared on Reddit, not in here. See link in my previous post. 
    Using quotes also seemed strange to me. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • VRoadRunnerVRoadRunner Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I do not speak officially for Nate Mitchell.
    We understand @VRoadRunner ; - thanks for passing on the information and acting as a intermediary. 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    I do not speak officially for Nate Mitchell.
    Too late. I'm calling you Nate!
    I'm Nate Mitchell!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

For a short while there I thought Nate had come on here personally to say goodbye.  Shame not one of the founders said goodbye in here as there was a time this forum was the only community they had. 

Appreciate it can be a bucket of piranhas in here sometimes but still.
    edited August 15
    I must have missed the time when this was an Oculus community that the founders could enjoy. When I joined around April 2016, this seemed like a community for the HTC Vive. And Oculus owners had to create their own Megathread to try to help contain Oculus conversation amongst that vast amounts of Vive conversations. Far more piranhas in the waters back then.

Things have improved greatly over time. But reddit is a mainstream community that even official News Media cites as a source. So it makes sense for big names in Industry to talk on those communities. There's no reason to take this common knowledge scenario and try to use it as a platform to chastise a fine community like this one.
    For a short while there I thought Nate had come on here personally to say goodbye.  Shame not one of the founders said goodbye in here as there was a time this forum was the only community they had. 

Appreciate it can be a bucket of piranhas in here sometimes but still.

Agreed - we have noticed over the time I have moved from MBS3D  back in June 2013 that many of the original old guard have moved on. The closed VRNerds, VRMafia, and OculusFB groups seems to be for dev and internal conversation - while Redit has become a bit of a bear-pit (especially after "Sh*t-post-gate"), with only limited interaction from execs - as was seen by Nate's parting statement being run on the closed group and then Redit first. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,440 Valuable Player
    edited August 15
    So who from Oculus is going to be talking about PC -VR now Nate has gone? The other ones seem to talk about the Oculus Quest more then anything else. I want some solid news about the plans Oculus has for PC -VR in Sept. I don't want to hear all about Oculus Quest.
    Fantastic John Candy reference @ShowbizDonkey ! You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir!
    Disappointed that nobody took part in my Life Of Brian reference :(

I'm Nate Mitchell!!!

I'm Nate Mitchell and so's my wife!!!  B)

I was with ya mate but life got in the way and then I started humming "always look on the bright side of life" te dum tee dum di do di dah
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,365 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    I must have missed the time when this was an Oculus community that the founders could enjoy. When I joined around April 2016,
    The forum was around for years before that. Palmer and Carmack used to post in here back in the 2013-2014 days. (Not many posts, but they were here). Tom Forsyth (one of my favourite developers from long ago) was on here too pre-2016.
    By 2016 Oculus was on to their third PC headset. The early days were lots of people working out how to do things, going through the oculus code (back when it was open source), experimenting with tech (razer hydras used for head tracking on a DK2, etc). Fun days. Especially since I wasn't a moderator, so I could actually tell people what I think of them. :)

But yeah, we never had Brendan Iribe (that I could find) or Nate Mitchell posting on here. This was primarily a developer board back then.

I'm still kind of sad that the Quill team ditched the forum for a Facebook page. But at least Medium is still here.

May 2016 Mr Bane   ;)

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,365 Volunteer Moderator
    Techy111 said:
    May 2016 Mr Bane   ;)
    Well, 1 may, so depending on timezone it could be april locally. :)

2013 Club FTW!

I'm still on the first planet lol :D

Have just found a grave site so will have a look and see what's going on there. You can call me Indiana Harv B) :D

edited August 16
    Zenbane said:
    I must have missed the time when this was an Oculus community that the founders could enjoy. When I joined around April 2016, this seemed like a community for the HTC Vive. And Oculus owners had to create their own Megathread to try to help contain Oculus conversation amongst that vast amounts of Vive conversations. Far more piranhas in the waters back then.

Things have improved greatly over time. But reddit is a mainstream community that even official News Media cites as a source. So it makes sense for big names in Industry to talk on those communities. There's no reason to take this common knowledge scenario and try to use it as a platform to chastise a fine community like this one.
    Yeah weird that, I remember it being a friendly place before 2016, Maybe a case of rose tinted spectacles. :)