Valve Index: Pixel Flashing — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index: Pixel Flashing

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,249 Valuable Player
Beyond the issues of the Knuckles and their manufacturing defects, it looks like the HMD itself is suffering from some "sparkling" issues.

Those flashing images remind me of... umm....

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,656 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    This should really be posted in the Index thread. Not sure why it needs its own thread. Anyhow I think all VR headsets can potentially suffer from this problem because it's not the first time I've seen this. Not sure what the solution is, whether it's a bad cable, drivers or something else. I've had some weird visual moments with my index rarely which resolved by restarting Steam VR. This pixel issue seems more serious though. I think some Pimax users also experienced this iirc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bscaiq/rift_s_pixel_flashing/

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/75917/rift-s-pixel-flashing

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,249 Valuable Player
    This should really be posted in the Index thread. Not sure why it needs its own thread.

The first Index thread was locked after what feels like too many contrary opinions against the Valve Index. And the current new thread is going well for those who choose to champion it. I can't help but feel as if this particular type of subject matter would cause too many problems in that thread.

Anyhow I think all VR headsets can potentially suffer from this problem because it's not the first time I've seen this.

I own GO, Quest, and Rift CV1, and have never experienced this.

I think some Pimax users also experienced this iirc.

You are a Pimax user, aren't you? Did you experience it?

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,349 Volunteer Moderator
    A little googling... apparently white dot sparkles on TVs are caused by insufficient HDMI signal, such as using a cable that's too long. The white pixels are where the signal is dropping out. Display Port would work in a similar way.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,896 Valuable Player
    I get it on my rig if i use a DVI to hdmi converter with my extension cords, my money is definitely on signal degradation somewhere along the way.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,821 Valuable Player
    This should really be posted in the Index thread. Not sure why it needs its own thread. Anyhow I think all VR headsets can potentially suffer from this problem because it's not the first time I've seen this. Not sure what the solution is, whether it's a bad cable, drivers or something else. I've had some weird visual moments with my index rarely which resolved by restarting Steam VR. This pixel issue seems more serious though.

Never seen or read anything about this issue on Index Reddit, must be extremely rare. Never seen it using the Index. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    RuneSR2 said:
    Never seen or read anything about this issue on Index Reddit, must be extremely rare. Never seen it using the Index. 

Yes, I was the same @RuneSR2 till I read the long/bad cable comments. We have a number of individuals evaluating intensely the Index - and other than "Click-Gate" on the controllers, the reports back on durability and reliability on the headsets are good. I think Good-Rays and the Frunk issues are the only minor niggles mentioned. However on the forums, seem to be a lot of people looking to find something to point at?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,821 Valuable Player
    edited August 14
    kevinw729 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Yes, I was the same @RuneSR2 till I read the long/bad cable comments. We have a number of individuals evaluating intensely the Index - and other than "Click-Gate" on the controllers, the reports back on durability and reliability on the headsets are good. I think Good-Rays and the Frunk issues are the only minor niggles mentioned. However on the forums, seem to be a lot of people looking to find something to point at?

Yes, it's strange - I completely agree that the real issues with the Index oddly enough aren't the ones people seem to like to discuss, at least not in here - but it may be associated to the fact that most have no idea what the Index really is, because they haven't tried it - and in the news some smaller issues have attracted a lot of attention. The bigger issues are the ones you can't RMA and that affect 100% of users - as you mentioned, glare is one, but I don't mind it. 

If people really want stuff to point at, I think there're tons of posts on Oculus Reddit about Rift-S issues - and also in here. Personally I think we should focus on all the truly awesome benefits of new high-end HMDs, to me the benefits immensely outshine the shortcomings. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,515 Valuable Player
    I will have to say, since Oculus fixed the white static flashes issue my Rift S has been golden, using it every day.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,891 Valuable Player
    The difference is that the issues that the Rift S had were fixable via software updates. Now this issue in this thread may be addressable with software but the controllers are pretty much fucked. And if you get a replacement then that seems likely to be fucked too according to plenty of reports.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 488
    Nexus 6
    edited August 14
    there is some wave mechanism here that affects the pixel on the screen and by tilting the screen you affect the wave and control the white dot effect.

i think the white color comes from all three colors going on at once in the pixel, so the wave causing the white to illuminate must be a electrical surge. too much juice. lower the electricity input lowers the wave and normalizes the white pop.

either that or the pixels are of low enough quality they fire from normal amounts of electricity, maybe a bad part of the LCD wafer. i wonder what his power supply is and if the problem is fixed by using a different pc? his mobo probaly has 2 cpu power plugs.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Yes, it's strange - I completely agree that the real issues with the Index oddly enough aren't the ones people seem to like to discuss, at least not in here - but it may be associated to the fact that most have no idea what the Index really is, because they haven't tried it - and in the news some smaller issues have attracted a lot of attention. The bigger issues are the ones you can't RMA and that affect 100% of users - as you mentioned, glare is one, but I don't mind it. 

If people really want stuff to point at, I think there're tons of posts on Oculus Reddit about Rift-S issues - and also in here. Personally I think we should focus on all the truly awesome benefits of new high-end HMDs, to me the benefits immensely outshine the shortcomings. 

I have come to a similar consideration. 
    I think if the Rift-S had not had such a rocky start there would have been less derision. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    However on the forums, seem to be a lot of people looking to find something to point at?
    I wouldn't say that this is any more true than when you create threads where you look to "point at" partnerships with Oculus that dissolve. You spent a number of years on this forum pointing at that. Starting from the Microsoft departure to your recent thread about GearVR being discontinued. And you often "point at" Oculus executives when doing so.

I don't see why you should chastise others for the very thing you do as well. Not to mention that these types of comments appear more as "derailing" and "sulking." We should try to stay on topic.
    RuneSR2 said:
    it may be associated to the fact that most have no idea what the Index really is, because they haven't tried it

It is a far stretch to say that people have "no idea" what the Index really is. Most of us have tried multiple VR HMD's, and unless you are saying that there is some type of fairy magic with the Valve Index that makes it appear like Space Alien technology compared to anything released for WMR, Vive, or Rift... then it sounds like you are just falsely categorizing people's opinions simply because they contradict yours. Not to mention that this thread shows a Video from an Index owner. Are you saying that this Index owner doesn't know what their Index really is?

You did the same thing in the MowTin thread. He owns Index and gave his assessment, and you tried to dismiss it by saying that he hasn't used it long enough.

Yet in your case, you refused to make a video proving that your Knuckle controllers work. Which is very suspect considering how much you have shared on this forum. You have shared multiple screenshots depicting the graphics on your machine, and you've taken photo's of things you own IRL. But suddenly you can't show that your Knuckle thumbsticks are fully clickable in all directions? Hmmm...

Your posts have a common theme, where you keep trying to discredit other people's opinions. Yet so far I would not say that your own credibility warrants such an attitude.

If people really want stuff to point at

This is a highly defensive response that does not accurately depict the nature of this conversation. You, more than most people, should understand that by discussing various flaws we can move towards methods to improve upon a product. I'll remind you again of when you gave a great game a 1-star rating simply because it had bad support for Super Sampling. And when the dev's fixed it, you went back and gave it a high rating. This is proof that you will "point at stuff" in a negative way as a means to address problems.

Yet when the same thing is done for the Index, you suddenly abandon the very thing you practice.

I think there're tons of posts on Oculus Reddit about Rift-S issues

And you are welcome to go participate in all of those discussions. But what you have done now is intentionally derailed a conversation about the Index by bringing up Rift-S issues. Perhaps you should consider being respectful and "keep to topic," just as many have done with the existing Index thread.

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 333
    Trinity
    Havent experienced anything like that on mine, sucks for that user.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,366 Valuable Player
    edited August 15
    One thing going forward though - issues like these should disappear over time then be totally fix by the next generation devices (well hopefully if they are really trying).

I say this seem more like a software or a power issue than really a problem with the headset hardware it self that can't be fix later on. It's possible just a bad headset as well. I can still remember back in the CV1 day problems of random color issues to half of the right screen not working from a bad batch.

As for the controllers on the Index - yes - unless they make a revision - you are f-ak out of any fixes as that is a hardware issue that can't be solved as easy. I'm sure they are already working on a revision, but time will tell if they sell it as a new product or play nice and do some sort of return/discount.

should understand that by discussing various flaws we can move towards methods to improve upon a product.

The problem is - if you only focus on the flaws - then that ruins the mood of the other great things out there though:) Just because Index, for example, might have a controller flaw - doesn't mean the whole product stack is lacking either. 

edited August 15
    Mradr said:

should understand that by discussing various flaws we can move towards methods to improve upon a product.

The problem is - if you only focus on the flaws - then that ruins the mood of the other great things out there though:) Just because Index, for example, might have a controller flaw - doesn't mean the whole product stack is lacking either. 

I can quote quite a bit from the last 2 years of your post history where you spent a lot of time focusing on flaws of Oculus products. I remember it was getting so bad that I had to wonder if you even owned an Oculus product. And as you recall, that is when you admitted that your Rift hadn't worked in a long time. So you didn't even have a functional PCVR headset for the 2 years you spent on this forum seemingly focusing "only on the flaws." And it didn't seem to bother you one bit.
    But there's always been a bit of a double standard, where people feel that it is perfectly normal and acceptable to criticize anything and everything related to Oculus and Facebook, yet to criticize a competitor is practically "heresy."
    :D
    kojack said:
    A little googling... apparently white dot sparkles on TVs are caused by insufficient HDMI signal, such as using a cable that's too long. The white pixels are where the signal is dropping out. Display Port would work in a similar way.

This is good info, and will help anyone who comes across this problem with any headset. Overall, this is the main point of these types of discussions. Just as with the Rift-S problem threads; it's perfectly fine to talk about these issues (and even have some fun in how we address them), but ultimately the goal is to analyze the root cause for the betterment of everyone's understanding.
    While some may want to turn a blind eye to these issues, or prevent conversation about them, I have always found it useful to address problem situations head-on. It's useful not just for existing product owners, but also those who are new to a market.
    edited August 15
    Zenbane said:
    I can quote quite a bit from the last 2 years of your post history where you spent a lot of time focusing on flaws of Oculus products. I remember it was getting so bad that I had to wonder if you even owned an Oculus product. And as you recall, that is when you admitted that your Rift hadn't worked in a long time. So you didn't even have a functional PCVR headset for the 2 years you spent on this forum seemingly focusing "only on the flaws." And it didn't seem to bother you one bit.
    I'm sorry that is your opion about me:) but I been on both side - saying what is good about the products and saying some of the flaws. On the other hand - you never talk about Oculus flaws at all=) meaning you see other products as lesser than Oculus products therefore most of your posts are bashing other people that do like the other products out there or you call out people that complain about a flaw they saw or do about Oculus product stack.

Oculus left a bad taste in my mouth bricking my headset. Not that is stop me from buying their products though. I still very much enjoy VR and my Quest. I still prefer the platform. That gives me full right to both call out their flaws and say what I like about the company and its products as I am a customer. Even for other products as I am the customer of who will choose to buy your product if it stands to be worth the value to the wants and needs I have.

edited August 15
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    I'm sorry that is your opion about me

It's not really an opinion, I am just making the observation of how you spent a solid 2 years focusing on many negative aspects of PCVR - specifically Oculus prodcts - despite not having a working PCVR kit at that time. So it seems a bit pot/kettle for you to suddenly make it seem like focusing on a problem is a bad thing.

On the other hand - you never talk about Oculus flaws at all

Definitely not true. I chastised Facebook for the Rift-S design plenty on this forum. I have also repeatedly stated that I do not plan to purchase Rift-S until they fix their over bearing problems. I even made fun of the Halo design with this image:

meaning you see other products as lesser than Oculus

That is an illogical conclusion. I praised the Varjo's eye-tracking, which is the feature I want most in any HMD.

https://varjo.com/purchase/
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/662576/#Comment_662576

The fact is that ever since I called out your 2+ year history of focusing on Oculus flaws despite you not owning a working PCVR HMD, you turned rather sour towards anything I say and do. Which is understandable, and always leads to hilarious conversation.
    edited August 15
    Observation is the wrong word here. That is your opinion of what you "think" has happen.

I don't think 3-4 sub post saying you don't like the design is the same as chastising the Rift S. Yet, there are MANY post from you - to whole on threads trying to call out the problems of other product stacks to be bad.  """Beyond the issues of the Knuckles and their manufacturing defects, it looks like the HMD itself is suffering from some "sparkling" issues."""

"""2+ year history of focusing on Oculus flaws despite you not owning a working PCVR HMD, you turned rather sour towards anything I say and do."""

action A != action B

All I pointed out was that we can't focus on the bad when there are still a large number of good still going on. A problem like this is more likely sloveable at this time same as Oculus having the problem a while back. You are the one that brought all this up right after that=) that seems to be a "You" problem than a "my" problem:)
    edited August 15
    Mradr said:
    Observation is the wrong word here. That is your opinion of what you "think" has happen.

Incorrect. I could quote specifics, but you would just continue being argumentative. Observation is the correct word. And the word I would use to address your response is "denial."

I don't think 3-4 sub post saying you don't like the design is the same as chastising the Rift S. Y

Irrelevant point. This is what you said:

you never talk about Oculus flaws at all

You do understand what the word "never" means, right? How about the phrase "at all"? Your response indicates that you may not understand these words and phrases.
    ;)

edited August 15
    Zenbane said:

Yes you never have:) So in this thread - where have you talk about Oculus having this problem or comparing the two between each other? Hmm?
    edited August 15
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

Yes you never have
    Wrong again.

"Yes, I admit that this time around I am very critical of a Rift product. They changed the head strap, tracking, and the audio integration. So Rift-S has a lot to overcome to win me over!"

"Yes, this is what the last 2 days of debate have been focused on. With a dash of Lens changes, a dose of missing integrated Speakers, and some Lenovo Halo for dessert. Welcome to hell."

Those are just 2 examples. There's more, but I anticipate more denial from you, even if I had 100 examples.

So in this thread - where have you talk about Oculus having this problem or comparing the two between each other? Hmm?

This thread is about the Valve Index. Check the title.

edited August 15
    Zenbane said:
    So in this thread - where have you talk about Oculus having this problem or comparing the two between each other? Hmm?

This thread is about the Valve Index. Check the title.

This thread is about propaganda against the company you feel isn't Oculus. That's cool:)

Oh Great Zen - tell us all about it=) I mean you have one, right?
    edited August 15
    Mradr said:
    This thread is about propaganda against the company you feel isn't Oculus.
    You're welcome to feel that way. Doesn't bother me one bit.

You haven't owned a PCVR headset in over 2 years, yet you still post in PCVR threads, right?

;)

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,238 Volunteer Moderator
    This is techy111 and I think he's had enough chaps =

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited August 15
    Zenbane said:

You haven't owned a PCVR headset in over 2 years, yet you still post in PCVR threads, right?

;)

*rolls eyes* as you told me - it doesn't matter - you don't own one - you can't talk about it. Close thread and move on...
    Please do not close the thread, just stick to the discussion and avoid evoking Techy111's wrath! 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited August 15
    So getting back on track,
    It looks like 3 different related topics are being discussed on reddit about the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c72jx4/mini_displayport_adapter/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c6j2dd/flashing_pixels_on_dark_backgrounds/

Most signs point to a faulty cable. Someone else uploaded a video showing the Index sparkling.

• zork2001zork2001 Posts: 539
    Trinity
    edited August 15
    I was getting that when i hooked this extension up. It went away when I took the extension off. Display ports suck. So ya it is a confirmed cable issue.
     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1G74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1