cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSI Laptops keep having black screen issues with the last Oculus and Nvidia updates

Aupuma
Explorer

Hi, 3 months ago, when the Rift S was released, I had many problems connecting my Rift S to my MSI laptop, black screen issues all around. I could only solve it by downgrading the Nvidia driver to the 417.77.

However, two weeks ago I downloaded the last update (431.60) and the issues came back. Now with the No Mans Sky VR release, I want to have the latest updates installed, in order to have the best performance as possible, but the black screen issues makes it impossible to play. (I also have Oculus 1.39 and latest Windows update)

There are many other users with MSI laptops and the same problems, as this NVIDIA forum thread shows. We need someone at Oculus/Nvidia/MSI to fix it ASAP, please!

17 REPLIES 17

sraura
Heroic Explorer
You guys should but pressure to MSI as they are the ones who are responsible about their devices. In this case they are responsible about providing users with drivers, which enable features what they have promised to deliver with the product. Is full Oculus compatibility one of those features? Not likely. Did they advertise/sell the device so, that customer might believe that VR compatibility exists also with the latest generation HMD's? Possibly. In the end it might be that they get away by saying "it works fully with Oculus Rift, but not necessarily with Rift S". I hope this is not the case.

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
Am having the same issue that you are having here.

I own a MSI laptop as well and i wanted to play the new no mans sky update with the new driver. but when i update the driver i have the black screen issue as well.

The only fix i found for this is to downgrade the driver to the last version, but in doing so, causes me not to be able to play the new no mans sky update 😞

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
Found something else that seems interesting.
when i try and delete the old drivers with DDU. it dose not fully work, my old drivers keep appearing. Is this because of MSI as well?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

when i try and delete the old drivers with DDU. it dose not fully work, my old drivers keep appearing. Is this because of MSI as well?

Happens to me sometimes as well.  I think it's a win10 update thing for me.  When you start DDU (preferably in Safe mode) there is a ddu option to stop windows updates.  Also I've found it best to turn wifi off (plane mode) as soon as your pc reboots and only turn it back on once you have installed your new nvidia drivers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

tcgamer525
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Happens to me sometimes as well.  I think it's a win10 update thing for me.  When you start DDU (preferably in Safe mode) there is a ddu option to stop windows updates.  Also I've found it best to turn wifi off (plane mode) as soon as your pc reboots and only turn it back on once you have installed your new nvidia drivers.

Hey i tried your method and my old drivers did not show up again but am still having the same issues with my vr headset on the latest driver version

Thanks for the help tho

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
just so you guys know my specs are 

Intel 8 GEN CORE i7-8750H
Nividia GEFORCE GTX 1060
6GB GDDR5
16GB DDR4 - 2666MHz
256GB SSD + 1 TB HHD

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe try nvidia driver 430.86.  This seems to be the most stable for me right now.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

tcgamer525
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Maybe try nvidia driver 430.86.  This seems to be the most stable for me right now.

Is that Driver stable for the New no man sky update? 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Worked ok for me.