cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading New Nvidia Drivers In my MSI computer causes a black screen to appear

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
Every time i download a new Nvidia driver for my computer it causes my oculus rift s to go in a black screen. 
The only fix i found for this issue is by restoring my old drivers, but i want new drivers so i can play no man sky vr. 
I have tried all the black screen solutions on the oculus website and still got the same issue 
I have tried different versions of the Nvidia drivers but still come up with the same issue.
I have tried using DDU to stop windows from automatically downloading my old drivers, and still get the same issue
My Laptop specs are a Intell 8 GEN CORE i7-8750H
Nividia GEFORCE GTX 1060
6GB GDDR5
16GB DDR4 - 2666MHz
256GB SSD + 1 TB HHD

And its a MSI GS63 Stealth "VR Ready"

I also read that the MSI computer itself is causing this issue but am still not too sure.

Any help will be great guys, thank you so much.

8 REPLIES 8

HaydenAlbrey
Explorer
You are not alone. I have an identical issue and it really sucks.

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
mhm as far as i know, the only fix is this is staying on your old driver 😞

HaydenAlbrey
Explorer

See my new post. I fixed my issue with a GPU bios update.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/79874/potential-genuine-fix-for-msi-laptops-and-a-r...

tcgamer525
Honored Guest

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/79874/potential-genuine-fix-for-msi-laptops-and-a-r...

this did not fix the problem for me. i tried downloading just the VDIOS and then i downloaded a new DIOS, no dice. but thanks

LZoltowski
Champion
Was your rift S plugged in while installing the drivers?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RavenBlueFeathe
Protege
i had to update my bios to make my MSI not go Blackscreen after the last Nvidia Update

paul_day_965
Honored Guest
same issue with my msi armor 1080ti that im running in my used to be high end rig ( not laptop). tried everything oculus said n a few other things. nowt worked got replacement rift s from oculus same issue. tried contacting msi but as yet no responce.  

Coldin
Honored Guest

this did not fix the problem for me. i tried downloading just the VDIOS and then i downloaded a new DIOS, no dice. but thanks

You do have to make sure you're using the right one. It's best if you open a support case with MSI so they can get you the correct version.