Westworld Awakening - a new bar for story-driven VR gaming? Reviews and impressions! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Westworld Awakening - a new bar for story-driven VR gaming? Reviews and impressions!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,089 Valuable Player
edited August 21 in Games and Apps
Westworld Awakening just arrived in the Oculus Store and on Steam:

Get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2389701057764977

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1133320/Westworld_Awakening/

According to this review the game is surprisingly good and "worth every penny":

https://www.windowscentral.com/westworld-awakening-review-gripping-survival-puzzle-worth-every-penny

Quote: "Westworld Awakening is one of the most emotionally engaging VR games I've ever played. "

Some impressions from Steam:

"First, graphically this is probably the most impressive VR game I've tried so far. I'm using an Index, 9700k and 2080ti so granted I'm going to see the best it has to offer. That being said, it's still incredibly impressive. "

"That was simply beautiful. If you're a fan of the show, and ever wondered what it'd be like to experience a host's story that runs concurrent to the show, this is it. Played on Index HMD + Vive Wands. i9 + 1080ti, maxed in-game settings, and it ran pretty much smooth as butter."

"This is a fantastic production. Everything you would expect from a title linked with Westworld and their intelligent storylines, twists, and Survios talent for making some of the best VR titles on the planet. It seemed to come from nowhere, no previous press releases. I own the largest arcade in the UK and I had no idea this title was coming to mine (still dont know for sure) but I am going to press my supplier to get it quickly so we can offer it to Westworld fans that dont have VR. We have Vive Pros and I have one at home and it runs great on my home rig, an RTX2060 I5. I put the graphics to the max and it ran perfectly. The graphics are spectacular. The story is brilliant, and, if you are a Westworld series fan and have a VR set then its a no brainer I am sure. I am only one chapter in, but am going to pace the enjoyment, like I do the series, and do a chapter every now and then."

"The voice acting, the graphics, the animations, the game mechanics, music and the story are OUTSTANDING. This game right here, shows the true potential of story telling and immersion in VR. I am incredibly impressed by my experience thus far. I have only completed 2/5 chapters and im 1.5 hours in. The mechanics at use here are something ive not seen before in VR games, at least not at this level of quality. The price of admission is WORTH IT, you are paying for a quality experience here, everyone who owns a headset needs to play this. There was an article mentioning this was an experience. Well yea, this is one friggin incredible gaming experience. This truly feels like a AAA VR game, in every sense of the word but thrown into a 5 hour game [...] Ive owned VR for 3 years now, and i feel like im experiencing it again for the first time because of this game. Im absolutely loving this. To the dev team and HBO, well done. You have set a new bar for VR gaming and story telling."

Oculus Rift + Touch: 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,089 Valuable Player
    I'm downloading now - 7.4GB on Steam. 

Some pics:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,049 Volunteer Moderator

Very tempted by this, Westworld is one of my favourite shows of recent times... extremely well made TV.

The description 'experience' kind of puts me off a little as I associate it with short length passive stuff but I don't think that applies here, people are saying maybe 5 hours duration, if so £22.99 wouldn't be too bad.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.356)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,621
    Project 2501
    I wasn't expecting anything more than a VR movie trailer. Is it interactive? I'll definitely download. I'll have to put my NMS addiction on hold a few minutes. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited August 21
    MowTin said:
    I wasn't expecting anything more than a VR movie trailer. Is it interactive? I'll definitely download. I'll have to put my NMS addiction on hold a few minutes. 
    It's an adventure game and fully interactive, it's not a movie. Graphics are quite awesome, especially many of the (super-high-res) textures - maxed out settings were automatically selected, I didn't push extra ss. But I'm simply too tired to play the game today, I'll get back to it tomorrow. Controls may be the worst part though - you swing your arms to go forward, but maybe it's not that bad when you get used to it - like Seeking Dawn. I couldn't get thumb stick turning to work - had to turn like in the real world (or like Doom VFR), not a big deal, maybe I missed a setting. Knuckles emulate wands in this game - or let me know if you experience anything different. 
    This does look like an incredibly cool game, maybe it's time to buy season 2 4K, I've only seen season 1.

edited August 21
    Seems like this dude has way too much time to play VR games, lol, and of course he already made a video about playing Westworld:

Awesome, just saw I have to deactivate fluid locomotion to get thumb stick movement, nice, I'll try that tomorrow. 

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,629 Valuable Player
    God im in!

All I can say is season 2 the episode staring the Indian host was AMAZING!
    WAAAGH!
    edited August 21
    Morgrum said:
    God im in!

All I can say is season 2 the episode staring the Indian host was AMAZING!
    I was really impressed with season 2, so many shows just stick to the formula of the first season to avoid risk, but I found it really developed the story. Only improvement could possibly have been to have a bit more Hopkins but that would have been a bit difficult given the circumstances.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.356)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,629 Valuable Player
    Indeed.
    WAAAGH!
    One reason for watching Season 1 was of course :blush:

Billedresultat for Evan Rachel Wood

I can see that Season 3 has just begun, maybe it's time...

Billedresultat for westworld season 2 4k

But VR first! ;)

ok enough talk... just purchased
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    I'm feeling the same mate, but my wallet says I've got to wait for payday!
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    I'm feeling the same mate, but my wallet says I've got to wait for payday!

Just use the MasterCard, one more month before you need to worry! Speaking of that, in just 8 days I have to really pay for the Index :# :D

edited August 22
    Btw, forgot to mention that even using maxed out in-game settings I got pretty solid 90 fps using the Index. Only noticed less than 90 fps very few places. That's using a oc'ed gtx 1080, performance is really awesome.

And sad to see like 1 rating in the Oculus Store, even if some don't like the game, you can always leave a rating and get a refund. I think the price is fine - you get what you pay for, and great quality requires a lot of work.
    On Steam there're now 18 reviews and 94% are positive.

I'm not one for writing reviews, perhaps I should change.

This forum is very active, sometimes I get the feeling people create a thread to discuss games instead of posting a review, which is great for the forum... and I bought it based in this thread! but yeah reviews are important too.

edited August 22
    Just played the game some more, I'm taking it slow and read all the pages  o:) Also some writer spent time writing all those pages, the least I can do is getting my 30 bucks worth, lol. Now I completely forgot that this is a VR horror game  :# But it's also an action adventure  B) Chapter 1 does a great job letting you feel how it's like to be in Westworld, looking forward to chapter 2 tomorrow!

Check out the face on the girl who wakes you up - tons of detail when you get close, not far from Olivia.

Some parts of chapter 1 are really dark, couldn't help thinking that CV1 probably would shine in those parts.

Project 2501
    I want to play this but I have a NMS addiction to feed. 
    edited August 25
    MowTin said:
    I want to play this but I have a NMS addiction to feed. 
    Spent the night in Vanishing Realms, yeah gotta get back to Westworld, but someone chained a dragon to the floor, now only its skeleton is left, need to find out who did this in the Realm first!  :D
    Too many patches and performance could be way better - I think I'll wait with NMS until the storm of patches settles. Westworld and Vanishing Realms seem like fully polished games - probably no need for (many) patches if any. If you liked the tv show, Westworld VR is a must-have - and it probably is even if you didn't watch the show  ;)

edited August 25
    BTW, more impressions here from Oculus Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cul66h/west_world_awakening_is_amazing/

- and a harsh post about people not willing to spend $30 and support VR when they really should consider it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cupw6n/poor_people_suck/

Some even say it plays better on Rift-S than Index - so Westworld should be awesome no matter your HMD:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ctnd8g/westworld_looks_and_plays_better_on_rift_s_than/

Here's using Rift-S (unfortunately I can't watch the video, way too many spoilers - be warned if you haven't played the game and already completed the chapters in the video):

• parsecnparsecn Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    RuneSR2 said:
    Some parts of chapter 1 are really dark, couldn't help thinking that CV1 probably would shine in those parts.

Westworld VR is a must-have - and it probably is even if you didn't watch the show  ;)

I played chapter 1 via CV1 over the weekend 1.8ss and yeah, it's bloody great. No dark issues with CV1, although when I respawned the second or third time, the overall outside landscape was dark but I'm sure this is by design eg the storm has blown in and visibility is (increasingly) poor.

I've only watched the original 1973 film, haven't watched the HBO show and agree, it's a must-have. Very cool. 

On a side note, before resuming play on Saturday I considered messaging my family that I was going to play a game where I get murdered over and over again in VR, so please don't disturb me. And what I meant, was that I didn't want anyone sneaking up on me IRL as the hunter is scary enough! In the end, I didn't send the message as I knew I'd have to "explain myself" - figured only those here would understand :)
    parsecn said:

I didn't want anyone sneaking up on me IRL as the hunter is scary enough! In the end, I didn't send the message as I knew I'd have to "explain myself" - figured only those here would understand :)

My wife did that one time in Affected the Manor - it was late at night and she didn't know I was playing that game. Using the CV1 headphones I suddenly heard a distant voice calling my real name - just took me a few super-creepy seconds before I realized it wasn't in the game, lol. 

Project 2501
    This game is awesome. It's like being a part of the show. The voice acting, animations, graphics and even gameplay are all great. 
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    Is it absolute must to watch and know Westworld universe before playing this game?

I have only Netflix sub and couldnt find show in there. Im not sure, if i want to buy another sub just for one show.
    edited September 1
    saami81 said:
    Is it absolute must to watch and know Westworld universe before playing this game?

I have only Netflix sub and couldnt find show in there. Im not sure, if i want to buy another sub just for one show.
    No - not at all - you may watch the trailer for season 1 just to get into the universe, and maybe you've seen the original movie. Without spoiling anything, in the VR game you're playing as a female robot, and that's basically all you need to know (also remember that she might not know she's a robot and will behave much like a human being present in a Wild West town). 

- and even if it's not needed for the VR game, may I recommend  o:)  - 8.8 on IMDB:

Image result for westworld season 1 4k box

Project 2501
    edited September 1
    saami81 said:

HBO has a lot of great shows but it would be worth subscribing for a month to binge Westworld. ($10?) 

You don't have to watch the show to play the game but having seen the show makes it so much better.

In this new world where content is everywhere, we may have to subscribe, watch what we want then unsubscribe. 

Just don't be like me and forget to unsubscribe.  You can buy one of those gift cards. 
    Project 2501
    I just finished this game. I also just finished watching Season 2 of West World. 

This experience really shows off the power of VR to put you inside a story. 

I wonder what stops other games from using this kind of realistic motion-capture animation. 
    MowTin said:
    I just finished this game. I also just finished watching Season 2 of West World. 

This experience really shows off the power of VR to put you inside a story. 

I wonder what stops other games from using this kind of realistic motion-capture animation. 

Westworld Season 2 is lying on my table - would you consider it best watching season 2 before or after the game, or maybe it doesn't matter?

I can see that there're only 20 ratings of the game in the Oculus Store, sad if very few support the devs and all the hard work getting for example motion capture animations done right. Personally I consider it very important to support VR games of high quality - we can't expect to get great games if no one wants to pay more than 10 bucks for a VR game or app. Then again, many seem happy to pay the same amount for a game, where you have to slice some boxes more or less like a Star Wars version of Fruit Ninja ;)

• ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    I take it that we are supposed to die at each specific stage as you run through the levels?

Been trying to stay alive, but I die every time, no matter what I do.
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    I take it that we are supposed to die at each specific stage as you run through the levels?

I think you're doing just fine ;)

More Westworld (using the Index), maybe contain some spoilers:

Project 2501

Only in the early stages where you're still acting as a host. 

@Ru@RuneSR2 ; I don't think you need to see season 2. I just watched Season 2 because the game put me in the mood to finish it. The first half of season 2 is not as good as the second half. In the end it's great.