Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 8.0 Release Notes — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 8.0 Release Notes

OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 334 Oculus Staff
Features and updates listed here apply to Quest, Go and Gear VR unless otherwise noted. All content highlighted below will begin roll-out during the week of August 19, 2019.

VR settings
  • We’ve added an option in the settings panel for night mode. This option changes your headset display to warmer colors, which may be easier on your eyes.
Guardian
  • You can now clear all existing Guardian maps from your Guardian settings menu.
    • To do this, select Guardian from your settings panel, scroll to the bottom of the Guardian options and select Clear next to the Clear Boundary History option.
Sharing
  • You can now share your in-VR screenshots from your gallery to Facebook.
    • To do this, select Sharing > Share Photos,select the photo you want to share, choose your audience, add a caption and click Share to Facebook.

Comments

• CdakedCdaked Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    It would be nice to select a group of images to send or delete and not have to confirm for each one.
  • freemotofreemoto Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    My Quest was just updated to version 8 but I honestly couldn't find where 'night mode' option is? I already looked everywhere under settings.
  • ppease5ppease5 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have not figured out how to get an image into my gallery (except to click on the take a picture button in the sharing section and that takes a picture of my home screen).  
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    Would be great if we can share in vr screenshots and photos, videos without logging into Facebook.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
  • PartyfreakerPartyfreaker Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Is the USB function finally unlocked as well? The OTG USB to Ethernet function is not working. Now I can't access my movies and files from my NAS without super speed.
  • xKougaxKouga Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Any Go-backwards compability update in sight yet? There's half a world that needs to be explored with superior hardware! :D 
  • edcavacoedcavaco Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    after upgrade, I can't open the videos and images stored inside oculus go. :s 
  • edcavacoedcavaco Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    ppease5 said:
    I have not figured out how to get an image into my gallery (except to click on the take a picture button in the sharing section and that takes a picture of my home screen).  
    same problem here....
  • kevinwarhaftkevinwarhaft Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    when will the next update be after this one what will be in it
  • morppheus000morppheus000 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited August 24
    i just want know something , if someone have the real answer ! the level of resolution in actual game on the Quest are not so high ., exeption for the new game Red Matter,!!! The graphic limitation exemple for ROBO RECALL are soo visible . do you think this downgrade its only for SAVE SPACE  on the Quest or its more a processor limit , because if that is realy for save space i can delet many apps and reinstall it after play a better game ! i have the 128gb Quest and im still with many GB data free on my Quest  can we have a 25-30 gb and more  game with almost full resolution, like on pc????? personally i prefert have 2 game only on my Quest But 2 Game AA  who push the limit  power of the Oculus Quest .
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 482
    Trinity
    Is the USB function finally unlocked as well? The OTG USB to Ethernet function is not working. Now I can't access my movies and files from my NAS without super speed.
    Why would you need a USB OTG for accessing files on your network NAS? My home wifi network is 140Mbps, and all I do is connect my Quest to the network, then I can access the files through Skybox VR player without issues. And although 140Mbps isn't 'super speed', it's fast enough to stream 4K VR180 videos. How much faster do you need?
    Trinity
    i just want know something , if someone have the real answer ! the level of resolution in actual game on the Quest are not so high ., exeption for the new game Red Matter,!!! The graphic limitation exemple for ROBO RECALL are soo visible . do you think this downgrade its only for SAVE SPACE  on the Quest or its more a processor limit , because if that is realy for save space i can delet many apps and reinstall it after play a better game ! i have the 128gb Quest and im still with many GB data free on my Quest  can we have a 25-30 gb and more  game with almost full resolution, like on pc????? personally i prefert have 2 game only on my Quest But 2 Game AA  who push the limit  power of the Oculus Quest .

The Quest isn't a pcvr device...it's a gaming console, and a portable one at that. Think of pc gaming, compared to the Playstation, compared to the Playstation portable. You literally have 3 grades of quality between them. The 'downgrade' in visuals isn't because they're trying to save space...it's because you're dealing with a much inferior mobile phone processor and gpu...not an actual pc cpu and gpu. Obviously the phone can't handle what the pc can. You'd be a fool to think otherwise. They had to reduce the amount of polygons that make up every single image on screen, reduce textures, and eliminate things like reflections and water/puddles. That's the limitation of the mobile phone. But...the Quest is only 3 months old, and the devs are still learning what can be done...they've just started using Vulcan, currently being used in Red Matter, and they're going to get Unity before the year's out as well. Look at Red Matter...see what's actually possible once they start using Vulcan. Now imagine what that can do to Robo Recall. It's going to make a huge difference.

• VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    @Spuzzum - I can see Robo Recall 2 or hopefully they can update the first one with the added graphical effects.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
    Trinity
    I'd love to see a Robo Recall 2, just like Budget Cuts 2 that's coming out. :)

I was a bit mistaken about Red Matter...it seems they wrote their own shaders, but the Vulcan support will be huge just the same, as well as Unity.
  • JohanTEAJohanTEA Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    edited August 27
    My Quest updated to 8.0 yesterday. After the update my wifi-connection crashes every few minutes. I must turn wifi off and on again on the quest to reenable the connection. Until the new firmware I had absolutly no problems with the connection...

Today I also made a factory reset, but it doesnt help
    Same here but my wifi reconnect by itself.
  • tooldadtooldad Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same for me as well.  Wi-Fi drops every 10 minutes or so and I have to turn it off and back on to reconnect.  Also sometimes games blank out for a couple of seconds and then return.  All was working fine before 8.0 got installed.
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    tooldad said:
    Same for me as well.  Wi-Fi drops every 10 minutes or so and I have to turn it off and back on to reconnect.  Also sometimes games blank out for a couple of seconds and then return.  All was working fine before 8.0 got installed.
    I'm fortunate so far, no wifi issues but i am getting loads of black outs that are pushing me back to guardian even when the room is well lit, its like its scans the guardian twice just to make sure.. if that makes any sense.  
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,262
    Wintermute
    freemoto said:
    My Quest was just updated to version 8 but I honestly couldn't find where 'night mode' option is? I already looked everywhere under settings.
    My Go just updated to 8.0. Night Mode is located at Settings/All/Device.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Trinity
    TomCgcmfc said:
    freemoto said:
    My Go just updated to 8.0. Night Mode is located at Settings/All/Device.

Unfortunately the 'night mode' isn't the mode where you can watch videos in the dark, using 3DoF like the Go. The night mode feature in the settings menu, is for colour...makes colours warmer for night time viewing.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,262
    Wintermute
    Ya, that’s what Night Mode does.  Same as win10.  Sorry I’m not sure what point you are trying to make?  Maybe I’m missing something?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Trinity
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Ya, that’s what Night Mode does.  Same as win10.  Sorry I’m not sure what point you are trying to make?  Maybe I’m missing something?

The original question was, "Is there any estimation when the 3dof night mode will be released?" Your reply about the night mode now available in the Quest is for changing the colour, not for watching videos in the dark like the Go. Right now, when trying to watch in the dark, the headset can't track. But with 3DoF, it doesn't need to.
  • PolemarxosPolemarxos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    how to update firmware?my still at 7.1.
  • ClonerStiveClonerStive Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    After updating my wfi also keeps going out. also i set up night mode, but now the settingfor changing the schedule and turning night mode itself off is just GONE. Did they roll it back? info would be good please
    Brain Burst
    how to update firmware?my still at 7.1.
    turn on the quest, plug in the charger and leave it on a flat surface overnight
    Trinity
    I updated a few apps in my library, then as soon as I rebooted, it displayed the downloading/updating image indicating the Quest itself was updating. That was yesterday.
    Brain Burst
    Spuzzum said:
    I updated a few apps in my library, then as soon as I rebooted, it displayed the downloading/updating image indicating the Quest itself was updating. That was yesterday.
    so what version number are you on, now
    Trinity
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Spuzzum said:
    Genius!  
    Ive had my Quest plugged in & on standby several times over the last few days, waiting for it to update to 8.0 but without success.
    I have now made sure all the installed apps are up to date & tried again...
    yep.. it worked! My Quest has updated to 8.0 😀