Video quality issues on Youtube VR and Samsung VR Videos apps — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Video quality issues on Youtube VR and Samsung VR Videos apps

tantheman36tantheman36 Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hopefully someone can help me or point me in teh right direction?
Is there any way to improve the resolution/quality of the videos on Youtube VR os Samsung VR Videos?
At the moment any 360 video i play looks like SD or worse but the same video on Youtube has HD quality options such as 1080s 1440s 2160s which significantly improves the quality when selected.

On Youtube VR there are only two quality options Auto and Highest but none of these improve the quality like they do on Youtube.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• bskousenbskousen Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited August 25
    It’s the nature of the beast. Each eye sees a little better than 720p, but you have to remember your eyes are very close to the screen. It’s no different than using a powerful magnifying glass to look at an lcd screen. Plus, 360 video is like SD because it is taking the original HD video and spreading it 360 degrees.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 479
    Trinity
    bskousen said:
    It’s the nature of the beast. Each eye sees a little better than 720p, but you have to remember your eyes are very close to the screen. It’s no different than using a powerful magnifying glass to look at an lcd screen. Plus, 360 video is like SD because it is taking the original HD video and spreading it 360 degrees.
    I think you misunderstood his comment. The same 360 videos he's only getting SD quality through the Quest, have higher quality settings through pcvr. As for 360 vids being SD...they're as HD as the bitrate being used, and they are recorded in 360...not spread out an original 2D HD video to 360.
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    In the settings of SideQuest you can change the rendering quality but be careful. Changing the quality will produce heat and the quest already gets toasty. The fan needs to be bigger to cool down the components.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2