HDMI cable and cannot order new one ? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HDMI cable and cannot order new one ?

DrakeosDrakeos Posts: 10
NerveGear
Since WEBSITE no longer selling HDMI cable how am i suppose to replace my broken Oculus HDMI cable is there any better cables that i can get in Australia ?

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,242
    Wintermute
    Contact Oculus Support and ask them.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,852 Valuable Player
    It's not available in the USA either.  Oculus does this mean you are completely leaving your CV1 users out in the cold because we all know that's a part that fails constantly on the CV1.  I've purchased 2 cables in the past already.  Am I supposed to buy them for 10 times the cost on ebay now?

• CReePeR81CReePeR81 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I need 1 as well. Free upgrade to RIFT-s If no cables available!!!
  • CReePeR81CReePeR81 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The dropped support for the rift I was just told. Cables are more than likely not coming
    GEt F**Ked again
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,242
    Wintermute
    CReePeR81 said:
    The dropped support for the rift I was just told. Cables are more than likely not coming
    GEt F**Ked again
    I don't think that is true.  The Rift cv1 was only discontinued ~5-6 months ago so there are still quite a few units still under warranty.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

• DrakeosDrakeos Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    So your telling me my oculus officall broken and cannot be fixed (or cable replace at all) i paid $600 USD for this device last year ?
    Drakeos said:
    So your telling me my oculus officall broken and cannot be fixed (or cable replace at all) i paid $600 USD for this device last year ?

It absolutely does mean that you can't get the cable.  If you were still able to, surely some Oculus Staffer would have chimed in by now, but it's radio silence.  Either there's nobody in the company that actually reads these forums since Cyber left, or they consider us noise to ignore like John Donahoe did with the users of Ebay before he completely ruined that site.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,446 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 1
    The forum is a community support forum (in other words we are supporting each other). If you want Oculus staff to listen, the ticket system, feedback in the client and user voice are the official channels.
    There's still a couple of staff around, but we don't have people on here full time (well, beyond full time) like Cyber and Imperativity (dev boards).
  • jnnarjnnar Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I asked the same to support because my cable is in very poor condition, they told me to keep an eye on the accessories page... this is the chat: https://i.imgur.com/2QAgr6j.jpg but I saw on reddit and on the italian page on facebook some other strange answers like buy a new hmd...

jnnar said:
    I asked the same to support because my cable is in very poor condition, they told me to keep an eye on the accessories page... this is the chat: https://i.imgur.com/2QAgr6j.jpg but I saw on reddit and on the italian page on facebook some other strange answers like buy a new hmd...

Ha, what a cop out answer.  Respond to them with this:

"Thank you for your quick response, just to clarify... Are you saying that it is unknown when the cable will be available because Oculus has not decided on weather they will replace the stock or not?  Why are you telling me to keep checking the website but don't know anything about the cable?  Please answer this direct question "Is Oculus going to replace the stock for the replacement HDMI cable for the Original Rift CV1".  If you do not know the answer please ask someone who knows.  Your original answer came off as though you don't have a clue and if I want to find out, I had better keep checking the website because you're not going to bother to find out for me.
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    jnnar said:

Ha, what a cop out answer.  Respond to them with this:

"Thank you for your quick response, just to clarify... Are you saying that it is unknown when the cable will be available because Oculus has not decided on weather they will replace the stock or not?  Why are you telling me to keep checking the website but don't know anything about the cable?  Please answer this direct question "Is Oculus going to replace the stock for the replacement HDMI cable for the Original Rift CV1".  If you do not know the answer please ask someone who knows.  Your original answer came off as though you don't have a clue and if I want to find out, I had better keep checking the website because you're not going to bother to find out for me.
    Great answer, I have literally copy-pasted it. I'll keep you updated
    NerveGear
    update 
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    There is now a User Voice thingy here if you guys and girls want to give it a vote!

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38506144

B 
    credit: snowdog & phoenixdigital    
    PLEASE VOTE GUYS. Only takes 5 seconds. 
    jnnar said:
    update 

Nice, so they acknowledge that they have no clue, and are willing to look into it for you probably because the issue was pushed.  But you had better not expect this to be a priority, they're already setting you up to not expect any kind of help.  So..... Is someone going to send one up to China for reverse engineering? 
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    falken76 said:
    So..... Is someone going to send one up to China for reverse engineering?  
    There's a few problems with this avenue.
    1. The market is probably so small that China couldn't be bothered to go to the effort to make one
    2. Quality control or design would likely be low effort and we'd end up with just a cable without the active components inside which help with signal reliability.
    I'd much prefer Oculus just bite the bullet and source another supplier (including internal components) for the official cable. They've always said they wanted to maintain a reputation for being a top tier reliable VR experience. Having low quality 3rd party cables on the market could hamper this effort and tarnish the Rift brand if people demo to friends and their 3rd party cable causes constant dropouts or disconnects.

I'm hopeful they'll manage to source another supplier because I think the biggest dint to their reputation will be the precedent set that they drop hardware support for out of warranty conditions only 6 months after a new model is launched.

There is no justifiable reason why these headsets shouldn't last 4-5 years as most other PC components do. Having a "bricked" headset because you can't buy a $50 part which is known to wear out is pretty poor form.

On a positive note we've hit the front page of "Top Ideas" now that they fixed the "Open all rewards boxes" ticket :smile:

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/filters/top

It still needs more votes though.

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
    falken76 said:
    So..... Is someone going to send one up to China for reverse engineering?  
    There's a few problems with this avenue.
    1. The market is probably so small that China couldn't be bothered to go to the effort to make one
    2. Quality control or design would likely be low effort and we'd end up with just a cable without the active components inside which help with signal reliability.
    I'd much prefer Oculus just bite the bullet and source another supplier (including internal components) for the official cable. They've always said they wanted to maintain a reputation for being a top tier reliable VR experience. Having low quality 3rd party cables on the market could hamper this effort and tarnish the Rift brand if people demo to friends and their 3rd party cable causes constant dropouts or disconnects.

I'm hopeful they'll manage to source another supplier because I think the biggest dint to their reputation will be the precedent set that they drop hardware support for out of warranty conditions only 6 months after a new model is launched.

There is no justifiable reason why these headsets shouldn't last 4-5 years as most other PC components do. Having a "bricked" headset because you can't buy a $50 part which is known to wear out is pretty poor form.

On a positive note we've hit the front page of "Top Ideas" now that they fixed the "Open all rewards boxes" ticket :smile:

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/filters/top

It still needs more votes though.

Oh I agree, but with no options, someone might give it a try.  It's a shame that the only thing that might sway oculus to continue support is the threat of counterfeit parts flooding the market because they refuse to support a device when their new model comes out.
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist

• rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    kojack said:
    The forum is a community support forum (in other words we are supporting each other). If you want Oculus staff to listen, the ticket system, feedback in the client and user voice are the official channels.
    There's still a couple of staff around, but we don't have people on here full time (well, beyond full time) like Cyber and Imperativity (dev boards).
    This is an official Oculus forum, not a third-party user-created community support forum like Reddit.  If it is not monitored regularly by Oculus staff that should speak volumes about the level of respect they show their customers. 

Quite frankly, it's unacceptable.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,338 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:
    This is an official Oculus forum, not a third-party user-created community support forum like Reddit.  If it is not monitored regularly by Oculus staff that should speak volumes about the level of respect they show their customers. 

Nonsense. This forum is checked, supported and replied to by Oculus staff. Plus the help given by this community to others is perfectly "acceptable" thanks.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,376 Valuable Player
    edited September 8

A forum is for discussion, not official Staff Communication. Although Oculus Staff do read and respond here, but if someone wants Official Support then they should go through official Support Channels and use an Official Support System.

Oculus can't control the level of respect individual customers may feel, especially if it's a customer who doesn't know the difference between forum discussion and support systems. Plenty of forums operate in this exact manner. Including Blizzard's forums, and countless others.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane