New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Replacement Rift cables.

AngryKFPAngryKFP Posts: 18
NerveGear
So it appears that you can no longer buy replacement rift cables, can we get some official feedback as to whether this is a temporary issue or has Oculus ceased production of them? 
Tagged:

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    They won't even answer that direct question on Reddit, all they've said is they have people still in warranty covered.  I think the writing is on the wall, CV1 users will not be able to replace their cables unless someone sends a working one to China for reverse engineering, then someone will make a ton of money selling them on ebay or somewhere.
  • JediNizarJediNizar Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    falken76 said:
    They won't even answer that direct question on Reddit, all they've said is they have people still in warranty covered.  I think the writing is on the wall, CV1 users will not be able to replace their cables unless someone sends a working one to China for reverse engineering, then someone will make a ton of money selling them on ebay or somewhere.
    hmmmm  B) 
    And yesterday I was thinking the wohle day on how I could increase my revenue...  :D
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,505
    Project 2501
    For goodness sake, just contact Oculus support.  I'm pretty sure they will help you out, even if you are out of warranty.  Prices for cable on ebay or amazon are currently ridiculous.  You can probably get a refurbished headset with cable from Oculus for ~ the same, or less.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• AngryKFPAngryKFP Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    For goodness sake, just contact Oculus support.  I'm pretty sure they will help you out, even if you are out of warranty.  Prices for cable on ebay or amazon are currently ridiculous.  You can probably get a refurbished headset with cable from Oculus for ~ the same, or less.
    For goodness sake stop making assumptions.
    TomCgcmfc said:

If that were the case, the sellers on ebay and Amazon couldn't sell their cables for the ripoff prices they charge.  On a reddit post this was asked and the response was "Don't worry, those who are still under warranty with CV1 still have access to replacement cables"  When people asked for clarification on weather or not that meant those out of warranty would be able to get ahold of these cables, they went radio silent.  So perhaps they can answer this directly on their own forums.  Is the Rift CV1 cable no longer available to those users that are no longer covered under warranty?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,086 Valuable Player
    I must admit over all i think oculus did a nice job designing the CV1... however by choosing to use proprietary cables imo they committed - or should have committed at any rate - to supporting the headset with said replacement proprietary parts for a number of years even outside of warranty.

Anything else just isnt cricket.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Oh bugger, I'm giving my OG Rift to one of my mates next month and he might need to get a new cable at some point. Bollocks.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Is there even an Oculus staffer that frequents these forums since Cyber left?  No employees seem to feel the need to respond to this thread....  It appears they'll use the same tactic as they did on Reddit..... Just ignore the noise, we already got their money.
    edited August 28
    hmmm on another forum i post on Oculus apparently messaged a person asking how to buy a replacement cable and their response was.... Buy a rift S.
    I get that support has to end some time..... but only 6 months after they stopped selling CV1 (complete guess at the 6 months )  is far too soon.
    imo oculus should ensure there are replacement parts available to buy for at least a couple of years after they stopped selling them.
    I guess i best be very careful now. i have run over the cable with my chair on at least 1 occasion and the point where the cable is attached to the head strap at the back is looking very bent now.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    NerveGear
    Well, hopefully somebody will come up with a third party replacement and make a decent profit on them. The entire situation has left me with the firm conviction that my days of being an Oculus supporter will end when my CV1 quits working.
    whilst i would be pi$$ed if my cv1 failed and i could not replace the cable, IF oculus came out with a suitable HMD with specs which worked for me, despite my annoyance i would still probably get it.  More fool me perhaps but i just dont think anyone else comes close to the software running behind the hardware.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    Hmm I have a  spare new cable for CV1 still in packaging, maybe I should put that puppy up on Ebay lol.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 594
    Neo
    edited August 28
    That is not good, if true, and even moreso now that my CV1 has just gone out of warrenty last month......does the S cable not fit the CV1 or is that again a whole new proprietary connection?

NerveGear
    Support confirmed to somebody that they are no longer able to produce the cables on reddit, obviously that's horsepoop and it's simply a choice not to supply them, what's the betting that any third party attempting to produce and market them is served with a copyright shutdown...
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    edited August 28
    OmegaM4N said:
    That is not good, if true, and even moreso now that my CV1 has just gone out of warrenty last month......does the S cable not fit the CV1 or is that again a whole new proprietary connection?

You may be ok. Ran my CV1 from Jan 15 2017 till May 25 2019 , heavy use practically daily. Cable even developed a couple of kinks in it. As previously mentioned I had already got a spare some time ago as I figured it might go out, but it never did.
    Yes two different kind of connections.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,694 Volunteer Moderator
    OmegaM4N said:

The CV1 cable is HDMI while the Rift-S cable is Display Port (plus USB for both). Even if their rift end socket was the same, the controller on the headset is going to be expecting a specific signal.

Never had a problem with my home or work CV1 cables.

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 467
    Trinity
    AngryKFP said:
    Support confirmed to somebody that they are no longer able to produce the cables on reddit, obviously that's horsepoop and it's simply a choice not to supply them, what's the betting that any third party attempting to produce and market them is served with a copyright shutdown...
    Oculus probably wouldn't care since the CV1 is a discontinued product (heck, Oculus OPENSOURCED both DK1 and DK2 already).

The question is whether there's money in it for 3rd parties to produce such a cable.  My guess would be no.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,283 Volunteer Moderator
    I’m also another thats had the CV1 from launch day with many many hours of use and the cable is perfect as is the headset.
    So although it’s not good that these cables are no longer available, I have a feeling that second hand spares will be plentiful enough to cover fails as people move to Rift-S as I did or Index for example. I’ve held onto my CV1 thinking it’ll one day be a collectors item  but maybe time to sell.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    Neo
    edited August 29
    kojack said:
    OmegaM4N said:

The CV1 cable is HDMI while the Rift-S cable is Display Port (plus USB for both). Even if their rift end socket was the same, the controller on the headset is going to be expecting a specific signal.

Never had a problem with my home or work CV1 cables.

H, i thought it might....oh well, as long as it last until 2020 then i will have  a look at what takes my fancy VR wise as a upgrade..

Thanks.

I’m also another thats had the CV1 from launch day with many many hours of use and the cable is perfect as is the headset.
    So although it’s not good that these cables are no longer available, I have a feeling that second hand spares will be plentiful enough to cover fails as people move to Rift-S as I did or Index for example. I’ve held onto my CV1 thinking it’ll one day be a collectors item  but maybe time to sell.

Really?  How would this transaction go?  "Hi DaftnDirect, I would like to buy your Rift CV1 cable, you can keep your headset and the controllers, I don't need them, I've already got them.  How much for just the cable?"   Why do I get the feeling you'd say "It's only for sale as a set because I can't sell the rest of the VR without the cable"?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,694 Volunteer Moderator
    falken76 said:

Really?  How would this transaction go?  "Hi DaftnDirect, I would like to buy your Rift CV1 cable, you can keep your headset and the controllers, I don't need them, I've already got them.  How much for just the cable?"   Why do I get the feeling you'd say "It's only for sale as a set because I can't sell the rest of the VR without the cable"?
    There's more than just the cable that can go wrong (right headphone connection, smack a controller too hard against a wall, scratch a lens, etc), so buying the set is probably a safer bet if you are worried about future failures.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,283 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 29
    falken76 said:

The reason for my post was to illustrate why I think this cable issue is less of an issue than some are thinking it will be. Either I can sell as a single lot for someone who wants it for spares or it's not out of the question to split the components that can easily be split.

It's also not out of the question for someone who only wants one element to buy my complete kit, use the elements that they need and sell the rest to people who have an issue with those other elements. Headphones, Touch controllers, sensors, whatever.. and still have the base headset as a spare... or sell that too.

There will also be instances of people who have a faulty Rift for reasons other than cable and decide to sell, with similar options as above. But obviously will be asking a lot less for it.

So in answer to your question... yes.... really.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    Neo
    kojack said:
    falken76 said:

There's more than just the cable that can go wrong (right headphone connection, smack a controller too hard against a wall, scratch a lens, etc), so buying the set is probably a safer bet if you are worried about future failures.

I forgot about the headphones, one of mine was already faulty but i fixed it by taping the sliding bit of the HMD into place so it no longer moves, and luckly the bit were the headphones works again is just were it is all taped up and perfect for fitting onto my head. ha
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    I utilise an overhead retractable canopy system on an active hdmi/usb repeater where the CV1 cable has never been stepped on or rolled over with a chair wheel, etc. However, it gets twisted from the user constantly turning in the same direction (kids do it, mostly) and I've seen it get pretty gnarly over the years but still continues to work! Kudos to team CV1 who built a reasonably robust cable!

Knowing I can't get a replacement is a real bummer, but I've come to only be bummed by Oculus since the launch of Rift-S, no announcement of Rift 2, etc. etc. etc.

So, this leaves us with a few options should the cable finally go: 
    1. Hack and/or build a replacement - pretty safe to assume the fault will be in the wiring itself and not the end plugs whereby (although fiddly) each wire can be tested from end to end and replaced as required. Reddit has a couple of persons who have repaired their cables by re-splicing at fault point (in their cases, was quite noticeable like bulge in an area, etc.) so can be done. It's early days for not being able to purchase the cable via Oculus /accessories where I gather more threads and how-to posts will present themselves when consumers have no other option but to hack their already failed cable - it's a nothing to lose scenario and it only takes one quality, knowledgeable youtube clip to walk the novice through this repair process.
    2. Go TP-Cast if they continue manufacturing for CV1. I note TP-Cast went on sale at $149USD a month ago - but currently out of stock. $149 is reasonable imo and benefit of forever being wire-free!
    3. Buy an Index, etc. I'm sure as hell not going Rift-S per Oculus with the plethora of problems and reduction in tracking fidelity (I'm 4 sensor ceiling mounted constellation) compounded with the notion that I'd be buying a product that Oculus will ostensibly refuse to support in 3 years time? When they tell everyone with Rift-S to, "Just buy a Rift-S2" if your $7 cost-to-manufacture cable fails. Not good enough, not by a long-shot.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,774 Valuable Player
    edited August 29
    This isn't good news because my CV1 cable is showing kinks and I've already replaced a cable that was faulty without any kinks in it. I'm not too fussed though because I'm looking to purchase the HTC Cosmos if the reviews are any good. The Rift S seems to have to many problems I keep reading about on these forums, so I can't really consider upgrading to that if my Oculus CV1 goes pete tong.
    Anyways, I think it's a pretty shitty move by Oculus to do this IMO. So I'll have a £400 paper weight if a simple thing like the cable gives up the ghost. Here's hoping the HTC Cosmos doesn't turn out to be pants when it comes to review time.
  • RavengerRavenger Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    It's an unnacceptable situation. My cable is dodgy - it just about works but can cut out if it gets bent or trodden on, so I'm limited to sit-down experiences at the moment. I've bought an extra sensor, cotton covers and prescription lenses so when it does fail (which is pretty much inevitable) north of £500 will be thrown away due to the inability to buy an essential cable that's designed to be replaceable in the first place! The response from support for my just out of warranty CV1 was essentially to by a new headset!
    AngryKFP said:
    Screw it, send one up to china and tell THEM to sell them, DMCA won't stop China's ability to flood the market.
    Ravenger said:
    It's an unnacceptable situation. My cable is dodgy - it just about works but can cut out if it gets bent or trodden on, so I'm limited to sit-down experiences at the moment. I've bought an extra sensor, cotton covers and prescription lenses so when it does fail (which is pretty much inevitable) north of £500 will be thrown away due to the inability to buy an essential cable that's designed to be replaceable in the first place! The response from support for my just out of warranty CV1 was essentially to by a new headset!
      Ask DaftnDirect if he'll sell you his Cable, you fit one of the scenerios he mentioned.  See if you can just get the cable.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,774 Valuable Player
    edited September 1
    Ravenger said:
    Wow - So you contacted support and they just tell you to buy a new headset instead of being able to get a cable that is way overpriced, but still costs a lot less then purchasing a new VR headset. This is beyond ridiculous IMO. By all means  phase out the parts for oculus CV1 in a few years time when theirs another headset worth upgrading to. But right now the Rift S is nothing more then a slight upgrade to CV1 and Oculus have said this themselves.
    I want to see a proper upgrade before I purchase a new VR headset. I don't want to be forced to buy a similar VR headset like the Rift S just because a cable becomes faulty on my Oculus CV1.
    Does Oculus even have an employee that moderates this forum anymore?