New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Until You Fall - out today for Rift and Vive - and now also Index!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,436 Valuable Player
edited September 14 in Games and Apps
Looks great, although it's early access:

Index support is coming soon, right now Rift and Vive are supported. Today it's number 2 on the list of current best-selling Steam VR games. 

Get it here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/858260/Until_You_Fall/

Looks like the perfect game to train everything I learned during the anger management course ;)
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,436 Valuable Player
    edited August 28
    The game now has 95% positive reviews based on more than 40 ratings. 

It seems it can work on the Index - but I'll wait for the official support:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cw8xjs/until_you_fall_some_of_our_savvy_alpha_testers/

Seems like Rift-S users like it a lot based on some reviews. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Ben's take on the game:

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,724 Valuable Player
    It seems like Asgard's Wrath without the rest of the game. Is there more to this game than melee from one enemy to the next? 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    MowTin said:
    It seems like Asgard's Wrath without the rest of the game. Is there more to this game than melee from one enemy to the next? 
    I haven't bought the game, Index support is lacking for now, so the Index hmd isn't detected by the game. 
    That said, seems like many people praise the game for "VR melee finally done right". I'll buy when Index is supported.

edited September 14
    The game has been updated, and while Index support isn't official, it should work close to perfectly:

Index Play Notes [Fantastic!]
    First things first: This game is gorgeous, ran buttery-smooth consistently, and is wildly addictive. Anyone reading this with an Index: it works great, and is totally worth every penny. The polish is insane.

Thanks again to the devs for making it so that I could play it on my Index -- I understand first-impression concerns, but rest assured that it definitely left a great impression on me. Notes below are provided under the assumption that bug reports or play concerns are of value. Repeating: Index users, the game is delightfully playable, and the level of polish already exceeds many 'full release' titles!

Index-specific play notes for devs:
    * As others have noted, the red square on heavy injury is very...square. Just an FOV thing. I don't really mind the red itself. :)
    * I occasionally get some unexpected movement directions while walking -- these seem to be resolved by letting go of the thumbstick and then resuming walking. Might be an initialization quirk of some sort?
    * I also occasionally accidentally do a backwards dash -- which stings, since it uses up a dash. This might have to do with the challenges of clicking a thumbstick. Maybe replacing one of the button maps on the right controller with a dash alternative button would work well? (Edit: I found the touchpad, and it's perfect!) This one might be human-error, but I figured I'd mention my "default" behavior, anyways.
    * Obviously the button tooltips are for the Vive. Note, though, that aside from the dash/movement quirk above, I love the current bindings.

Generic notes for devs:
    * A full load screen or lightly-decorated-black screen between scenes rather than gray-plus-logo-splash-square might be a good experience-improvement -- I occasionally worried I was in an error state until I got used to it. :)
    * I'm loving the beginnings of the story -- hoping to see more story beats as I proceed!

Thanks again for taking the risk and unlocking index -- I was literally waiting to buy until you did that, and bought immediately as a result! :-D No regrets, either -- really looking forward to sinking my teeth in. Incredible work!

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/858260/discussions/0/1628537372818534589/

That does it - I'm buying the game!  o:)

93 % of 200 Steam users are positive - it's rare to see such high ratings. 

edited September 15
    Tried the game last night, I was - like when trying Hellsplit - more than pleasantly surprised. In spite of being early access the polish is indeed better than many VR games that claim to be finished. Although still officially unsupported and lacking finger tracking, the game works perfectly using the Index. 

Using Index and oc'ed GTX 1080 I could max out all in-game video setting and still get 90 fps - but with a few rare dips below 90 fps. That was with MSAA levels set to 4/4 - reduced to 3/4 it was solid 90 fps. But 4/4 was great, and I ended up using that. That was using ss 100%, I probably have very limited room to push ss, but I may try to lower MSAA in order to push ss and see what that looks like.

Graphics aren't really a problem, the game looks awesome using ss 100% and the Index. The world is extremely colorful, like some sort of visual antidepressant therapy, lol. This game should really be named "Virtua Fighter", but my spider sense is tingling, maybe that name already has been taken ;)  

Like Hellsplit this game easily helps to get rid of wall-hung paintings and (ceiling) lamps, so be careful - but the fighting is among the best ever seen in VR. I do like Hellsplit better due to the physics and the gore though - Until You Fall isn't gory at all, maybe more family friendly (12+ years, while Hellsplit clearly is 18+)...  For adults, deciding between Hellsplit and Until You Fall may be like deciding between chocolate cake and strawberry pie - I'd say get them both!  o:)   

In Until You Fall you have a full body - arms, legs, torso - and the arms move awesomely well - and it's shiny armor indeed with high-res textures. 

But don't take my word for it - hear what Oasis had to say about Until You Fall:

Fun thing - just read the story about Until You Fall:

"As the last remaining Rune Knight, you alone can fight back these horrors. With the help of a mysterious Runesmith, you will forge the weapons needed to complete your campaign."
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/858260/Until_You_Fall/

Seems like they copied my old Viking name, lol - maybe I'll slide more into the game character the next time I play, I shall become the one and only Rune Knight  o:)  :D  

Until You Fall just received a massive update:

https://untilyoufall.schellgames.com/news/patch-notes-0-2-0

Index is now fully supported. 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    It just released on the Oculus Rift store today. I hadn't paid it much attention, but it looks pretty cool. Added it to my wishlist, and will watch a few videos and decide whether to pull the trigger.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 10
    Question for those who own the game; can you choose left-handed mode? The patch notes talk about dominant and off hand (rather than right and left), making it sound like there is the option to define your dominant hand, but I was watching Ben's video (from when the game first came out), and it seemed to just put the main sword in his right hand.

I did see in the patch notes that you can edit the bindings in SteamVR Input; if that's the only way to play left-handed, then I would buy it on Steam rather than the Oculus store.

Edit: looks like you can choose which weapon you want in which hand after the tutorial section is completed.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    nalex66 said:
    Question for those who own the game; can you choose left-handed mode? The patch notes talk about dominant and off hand (rather than right and left), making it sound like there is the option to define your dominant hand, but I was watching Ben's video (from when the game first came out), and it seemed to just put the main sword in his right hand.

I did see in the patch notes that you can edit the bindings in SteamVR Input; if that's the only way to play left-handed, then I would buy it on Steam rather than the Oculus store.

Edit: looks like you can choose which weapon you want in which hand after the tutorial section is completed.
    I actually didn't notice - because I have a sword in both hands. I wouldn't worry much about it, but I'll check it more thoroughly when Asgard's Wrath has been downloaded ;) Devs need support - you can always refund if you don't think it's totally awesome, but maybe you need to spend some time in Asgard first  B)

edited October 10
    Oculus version (I think):