Oculus Quest has been a failure to me.... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Quest has been a failure to me....

ScaramooshScaramoosh Posts: 32
Brain Burst
It shows how limited VR is in a closed environment, there is nothing to do on the thing and it's barely hd any software support. Oculus really need to open it up like Steam so we can have loads and loads of games.... cause right now I look at the store on my phone, and I haven't turned it on since the week I go it. I've played everything it has before, they all came out ages ago :/ Meanwhile everything good to play is coming out on PC, so Quest might be free from cables, but it's useless if it is also free of content. 

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,691 Valuable Player
    edited September 1
    I think many would agree, if you are a solo gamer and own a decent tethered headset in the same household then the Quest doesn't really get a look-in. It's great for when there are people over or you want something portable.  IMO a shame Oculus/FB hasn't perfected streaming content from PC or from servers and allowed people to play with that on the Quest. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,852 Valuable Player
    It shows how limited VR is in a closed environment, there is nothing to do on the thing and it's barely hd any software support. Oculus really need to open it up like Steam so we can have loads and loads of games.... cause right now I look at the store on my phone, and I haven't turned it on since the week I go it. I've played everything it has before, they all came out ages ago :/ Meanwhile everything good to play is coming out on PC, so Quest might be free from cables, but it's useless if it is also free of content. 

It's brand new, devs are making games for it now.  I love my PCVR but I know what to expect in the future.  EVERYONE always follows the money.  Quest and devices like it is where the money is.  PC is too expensive because 1, you young cats don't own those beefy computers you all got those mobile devices (Well, that might not count here, everyone here could be considered an "enthusiast".  But it would apply to the general public)  On top of that this VR needs a GPU that costs just as much if not more than the computer you didn't have you just bought.  Barrier to entry is so high, PCVR will forever be a niche.  In the future you'll see Quest games you want to see on Rift and  the port will either never come or be a half assed effort with no additional features for the abilities of the PC headset.  Why bother?

Besides this VR stuff sucks balls!  I'm holding out for the Holodeck.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,027 Volunteer Moderator

I bought the Quest for different reasons than the Rift.

It's better for having fun with friends for when you're at their place or when you're not in the same room as your PC

It's better for media viewing, movies and Netflix are both better experiences with the Quest.

It's better when you go on a vacation or a weekend away (well, you just can't with the Rift unless you have the budget and luggage space for a top-spec gaming laptop).

It's better for untethered, untangled, 360 room scale experiences, which I hope devs consider when they produce games and apps for the Quest (rather than just scaled-down Rift games).

My Quest doesn't get a look-in when I'm enjoying PCVR, which is the majority of the time, but I knew that would be the case and really didn't buy it for that.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • QVR-DudeQVR-Dude Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited September 1
    I know what you mean, but don't give in!!!!!!  I waited to buy, "The Exorcist Legion VR," so when I finally bought it-... and I had just come off of a double feature of mind blowing digital zen (Vader Immortal,Face Your Fears 2) the default frame rate was well below immersive to say the least!!!!!  Tell me, have you ever seen a guy try to skull F*&K a VR headset?!
    Don't answer that!  Point is, at that moment I was you... then came Red Mater.  Every great platform suffers a few duds along the way.  Stay in there!
  • RezlaRezla Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I think the time has passed, we've not seen any uptake in it, I don't think there is any future in the headset. I've been gaming all my life now, you can spot when something will gain support or not... Oculus Quest is showing no signs. The headset needed to be open, a closed system just won't work for VR. Playstation gets away with it to some degree because it is a platform with many potential players, but how much has the Quest sold? I think we'll have a Quest 2 before many more games are put on the headset, that's if Oculus is still around, I could see Facebook dropping it. 
    Thanks for the laugh my guy, nothing more awesome than someone trying to be a comedian. Content has been coming for Quest with more to follow in the next few months, I don't think you guys understand how annoying it can be for devs to come out with content for such a device like Quest. Quest 2 won't be coming out for another 2 years at best, I think people like you don't understand it doesn't work like that. Quest has been selling better than Rift S and doing pretty damn good in the market right now.
  • RHunterrRHunterr Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    "the time has passed" (on a couple month old piece of hardware.. lol).... "not seen any uptake".. huh? I guess you've not been paying attention then. You've been gaming "all your life"? Oooooh, well, so have I. 4 decades of gaming now. I think your "spotter's instinct" is way, way off.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,852 Valuable Player
    I think the time has passed, we've not seen any uptake in it, I don't think there is any future in the headset. I've been gaming all my life now, you can spot when something will gain support or not... Oculus Quest is showing no signs. The headset needed to be open, a closed system just won't work for VR. Playstation gets away with it to some degree because it is a platform with many potential players, but how much has the Quest sold? I think we'll have a Quest 2 before many more games are put on the headset, that's if Oculus is still around, I could see Facebook dropping it. 

You're referring to the Oculus Headset that they couldn't keep on the shelves due to demand right?  Was that part of your ability to spot trends do to your life time of gaming that told you this was a definite failure?  No VR headset is going to get the games you want which I would assume are the AAA games with 100+ million dollar budgets, unless there is mass adoption of VR headsets.  The Quest appears to be heading in that direction so AAA devs should start taking notice.  Your next complaint will be in relation to the price point.  When those games come out, of course you will complain that they are $50 to $60.  I get the feeling that Quest will be a success, so much so that it might effect PCVR development slightly because everyone tends to follow the money, and the money is not going to be in PCVR, you could buy 3 quests for one PC and GPU and a VR headset.  Since so many don't even have the Computer these days thanks to mobile, the cost to entry is too high.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 476
    Trinity

LoL. It's barely 3 months old. The Rift library has taken 3 years to populate. The Quest has 50+ games and experiences right now, with at least 50 more planned by the end of the year. Even the Atari didn't have that many games when it launched in 1977...all of 9 titles. Even by 1982, when they changed to the Atari 2600...still only 200 titles. It launched with 9 titles, then took another 5 years for another 191 titles. Id say the Quest's 50+ titles in the first 3 months, with 100 titles within it's first year, is on pace to surpass what the Atari did. And that's with an arcade full of games that Atari had access to for porting to their console.
  • erasmushurterasmushurt Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    As someone who owns a Rift, a Vive and a Quest, I have to disagree pretty strongly here. I've spent way more time on the Quest than I have on either of my PC headsets. The ease of use, the ability to quickly jump into the action. Being untethered. Those are big wins. 
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    The Quest is and will be the right track to higher VR popularity. Give it some time. It is new in the game but already offering so much. You will see.
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 7
    A couple of years ago I bought a (pretty high spec) pc & an Oculus Rift. I have tons of games/apps for the Rift & I’ve spent many hours using it.
    that is.. until I bought the Quest.  My Rift has hardly had a look in since May.
    Untethered VR is certainly the future. I don’t know how many times I've caught myself or tripped up on the Rift’s cable 🤪
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,145
    Wintermute
    My only real regret about my Quest is that I can't run the Go apps on it. Once they're available too, it'll be much more useful even if Oculus don't let that many native apps in the store.
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    RHunterr said:
    Strongly disagree, on many counts.

First off, the Quest is only a couple months old. It's a different animal than pcvr, so to expect "everything" in the Quest store right away is silly. The comparison I've seen made most often is like a new console system when first released;  the content builds faster and faster as it's shown to be more of a success (which Quest definitely is showing already).

Secondly... Sideloading. Opens up a ton of content.

And third... over on reddit there's lots of accounts of people *selling* their pcvr headsets after getting a Quest (or at least never touching their pcvr headsets again afterwards).

"Patience is a virtue".... albeit one that has become very, very scarce these days.
    This isn't a problem with the OP not having patience--it is, once again a problem with how Oculus/Facebook markets products.  They have misleading advertising that would lead a person to believe it is compatible with the Rift's complete current library, which is not the case.  That is the source of the frustration.

I did my research first and opted for the Rift-S instead but anyone just taking a quick glance at the Oculus website would think the Quest would be the no-brainer option for the same price.
  • RHunterrRHunterr Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 8
    There was literally *no* marketing for the Quest anywhere that I ever saw. (other than the Oculus website, of course. And even after release there were tons of people, both here and on Reddit, saying they still were not seeing any marketing for the headset whatsoever). And literally nowhere on the Oculus website (or any of the articles/reviews I sought out while I did my research many, many months ago) did anything ever lead me to believe the Quest would be running alongside the Rift in any way. It was very, very clear the two platforms were completely different and separate.

Anyone thinking the Quest would be running the Rift's library simply didn't pay attention at all.
  • Oliver2222Oliver2222 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    i don't have gaming pc anyway