Can you have a WMR and Oculus headset connected at the same time? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can you have a WMR and Oculus headset connected at the same time?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
Can you have a WMR and Oculus headset connected at the same time? If you can do you have to select the headset you use or something, or will it just be triggered by each sensors headset when you put it on?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,051 Valuable Player
    edited September 6
    I have the Index and the CV1 connected to the same rig, but I have not dared to start SteamVR with both HMDs active. 
    With both HMDs connected it's no problem using the CV1 and getting into Oculus Home - the Index does not interfere in any way. 
    I've completely dissociated CV1 and Index. I only use CV1 for Oculus Store games, never for SteamVR games. I only use Index for SteamVR games (but I can start Oculus games through Revive). 

I think that's close to the best of both worlds - for now that means I can no longer play Polybius, it's a SteamVR game that launched outside of SteamVR and requires the Rift  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
    Come to think of it. When I had Oculus CV1 and Rift S connected, I remember it crapped out my computer with a blank screen when I started Steam VR. Three cold boots later and I got my windows screen back which was a relief.
    RedRizla said:
    Come to think of it. When I had Oculus CV1 and Rift S connected, I remember it crapped out my computer with a blank screen when I started Steam VR. Three cold boots later and I got my windows screen back which was a relief.
    (In theory) CV1 and Rift-S should work being connected to the same rig. Some dudes reported that then you could just select the active HMD in the Oculus desktop app (only one could be active).

SteamVR is the problem, because unlike WMR Home and the Oculus app SteamVR supports everything and does not have a switch for selecting active/primary HMD. That said I had the idea that Index would overrule CV1, but the thought of the Index suddenly not being detected in SteamVR  :# kept me from further experiments. 
    Right now Index is always connected, but CV1 is only connected when I want to visit Oculus Home and remember the good old days, lol. My 7-year-old son still uses the CV1. 

In short, if you disconnect CV1 or Rift-S, and connect the WMR hmd, then SteamVR should detect the WMR hmd, afterwards you should be able to reconnect Rift and start Oculus Home. That approach has worked flawlessly on my rig the last month.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

BTW, seems we're not the first to travel along this path, lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/b8dvj4/knuckles_with_wmr/

edited September 6