New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

anyone know how to force UE4 demos to 1920x1200 on the rift?

captaintripscaptaintrips Posts: 313
Art3mis
edited April 2014 in Support
Tried about everything... editing the saved/config/windowsnoeditor/GameUserSettings.ini (resolutions and native desktop res in fullscreen)

Also tried r.setres from the console... everything still outputs to the rift at 1280x800 in UE4 demos?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Let me see if I can find this out.

Also, moving to the reporting issues section as this is not a game or demo.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • captaintripscaptaintrips Posts: 313
    Art3mis
    Thanks Cyber!
  • idoido Posts: 82
    Brain Burst
    I've asked this on here and reddit, and literally nobody has answered me yet.

All demos in UE4 will only output 1280x800 in Rift mode and it's frustrating. From RealisticRendering to the Star Trek bridge.

I'm at a loss for why it's happening.
  • Tried about everything... editing the saved/config/windowsnoeditor/GameUserSettings.ini (resolutions and native desktop res in fullscreen)
    This works for me but with 1680x1050, is your monitor capable of 1920x1200 ?
    DK1 - Razer Hydra & Sabertooth - I5-2500K 4,5GHz - (SLI) GTX 670 PE - 16Go RAM - W7 64bits
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 681 Oculus Start Member
    You should not do this, as it will only reduce image quality and potentially increase latency in driver-dependent ways.

Unreal will automatically render the game to a higher resolution frame buffer to compensate for the distorted sampling of the Rift (as explained in the OVR integration documents), and the screenpercentage console command can be used to adjust this. After that it should always output the native resolution, otherwise the image will have to be re-sampled a second time, either on the GPU or display, which will do really really fast and cheap filtering on the image giving you pixel shimmering and loss of detail.

The only case where there is any benefit whatsoever to outputting a higher resolution is if you are taking a screenshot. The only reason it made image quality look better in Unity was because the Unity integration was rather poor, and did not scale the frame buffer due to engine limitations. Unreal Engine 4 is the first correct implementation.