Quest or Go?? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest or Go??

Cance11ationCance11ation Posts: 528
Nexus 6
Hiya, vivid vr enthusias. I'm in a position to either keep my Go or buy the quest, but don't know which to do. One app I'm looking to use alot is virtual desktop (2d gaming). I would like to know which offers better performance, the quest or go?
Check out my twitch [twitch.tv/BATTLE_net]

Comments

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,145
    Wintermute
    The Quest hardware is a bit faster, but I don't know whether it's enough to be worth replacing the headset. The big difference is the translational movement as well as rotation.
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    Keep in mind the Quest has limited capacity.  2 or 3 fully size games will be all you can store on the 64GB model.  Even the 128GB is not near enough space, IMHO.  Most games are small in size but the AAA games are easily 20+GB each.
  • Cance11ationCance11ation Posts: 528
    Nexus 6
    Thanks for reply, decided I'm going to buy a quest.
    Check out my twitch [twitch.tv/BATTLE_net]
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,680 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 10
    Keep in mind the Quest has limited capacity.  2 or 3 fully size games will be all you can store on the 64GB model.  Even the 128GB is not near enough space, IMHO.  Most games are small in size but the AAA games are easily 20+GB each.
    This isn't exactly true--no Quest games are anywhere near that big. Most games are under 2 GB. Robo Recall is one of the larger ones, and it's still less than 3 GB.

I've got around 25 games and apps installed on my Quest (128 GB model), plus the free demos that came with it, and I think I've still got about 80 GB available. I know UploadVR checked, and all 50 apps that were available at release would fit on the 64 GB Quest with a little room to spare.

Edit: 33 apps installed and 85 GB free space still available.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Quest smashes the Go.
    Rift S smashes the Quest.
    Index smashes my wallet.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 476
    Trinity
    Go has LCD and a limited range fixed IPD, while Quest has OLED and a manual IPD slider. Those alone are good enough reasons for the Quest, even if just for 2D gaming through Virtual Desktop.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,446 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    This isn't exactly true--no Quest games are anywhere near that big. Most games are under 2 GB. Robo Recall is one of the larger ones, and it's still less than 3 GB.

I've got around 25 games and apps installed on my Quest (128 GB model), plus the free demos that came with it, and I think I've still got about 80 GB available. I know UploadVR checked, and all 50 apps that were available at release would fit on the 64 GB Quest with a little room to spare.
    I too a quick look through the store too (the oculus store lists the size of each game), the biggest I could find was Roborecall at 2.97GB.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,376 Valuable Player
    Quest now does everything GO does in terms of its approach to Media Entertainment. GO's biggest niche was Oculus Venues, which is now fully supported (and advertised) on Quest.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,680 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:
    nalex66 said:

I too a quick look through the store too (the oculus store lists the size of each game), the biggest I could find was Roborecall at 2.97GB.

The only larger game I found was Wizards at 3.43 GB.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    The Quest is more powerful (and would probably handle the virtual desktop streaming stuff better, although I haven't tried).

I do find the Go is more comfortable and the controller is more convenient to have sitting nearby or in your pocket than a full size touch controller. It's also more portable, the rigid head strap of the Quest takes up a lot of space.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 526
    Neo
    ^^I am a big fan of the GO myself, laying spread out in your recliner watching 70s schlock movies in your own personal cinema is just fantastic.
  • J-FlyJ-Fly Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I initially thought I would be getting rid of my Go when I got the Quest but I decided to keep both. There are still quite a few apps and games that have not transitioned from the Go to the Quest. Also, since the Go is more casual and easier to operate, I use it for browsing and tinkering around. The Quest is used for games only and in my opinion needs more commitment meaning you have to be in the right mood and energetic to play VR games. I'm surprised RelayCars hasn't made it to Quest yet. 
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Quest has 4GB of ddr4 and snapdragon 835 from 2017. Powerful? not so much. Convenient? VERY.
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^I am a big fan of the GO myself, laying spread out in your recliner watching 70s schlock movies in your own personal cinema is just fantastic.
    I never really got into watching movies in VR (I've got a big OLED TV), but if I was going to watch one, I'd use the Go, due to comfort (facial interface feels better, the cloth straps work better when you lean against a headrest). But if I wanted to do active VR stuff, then it's Quest time.

At least the Quest's head band is a bit flexible and has no electronics in it. I'd get paranoid about leaning back with a Rift CV1 on, due to the headband having tracking LEDs and the headphone wiring. The Rift-S headband with the adjustment knob on the back would suck for leaning back in a chair.