Distant object contours flickers like a christmas tree — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Distant object contours flickers like a christmas tree

luc.corbeil1luc.corbeil1 Posts: 3
NerveGear
I have that really annoying flickering problem of distant object/scene. High contrast boundaries/contours flickers and blinks, which add a lot of eye fatigue.
That happens in the oculus default scene/applications and in games as well. I is like strainght lines aren't smooth enough.

How to I fix that ? In the NVIDIA settings ? Oculus settings ?

Oculus Rift S, i7 8700 16GB, GTX 1070

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    You could try using pixel density in the Oculus tool, but I wouldn't go above 1.5 pixel density with a Geforce 1070 because it's a resource hog. It won't make the line completely straight, but it helps a lot if this is what you are talking about.
  • luc.corbeil1luc.corbeil1 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    RedRizla said:
    You could try using pixel density in the Oculus tool, but I wouldn't go above 1.5 pixel density with a Geforce 1070 because it's a resource hog. It won't make the line completely straight, but it helps a lot if this is what you are talking about.
    Thank RedRizla for your return. I will give it a try.

The oculus tool you are refering is the Oculus Debug tool ? Pixel density which default value is 0 ? I'm new to oculus.

The look and feel is like 90s games on old PC. DCS building and straight lines don't seems to join correctly, it's like if the border of two adjacent textures compete. Everything perfect on my 27" screen however, so taking a screenshot will not illustrate the problem.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    edited September 10
    Yes, that's correct it's the Oculus Debug Tool. just put 1.5 in there where the 0 is but don't close the debug tool. Just minimize it or leave it running in the background or it won't work. But I believe in certain games like DCS World, it allows you to change he pixel density from the game itself. I think it's under the VR settings in DCS, so you won't need to do it in the Oculus Debug tool if it's in the game.
    You see those lines jaggie and flashing because the lenses are close to the screen in VR and the resolution on Oculus just isn't there yet. I've just purchased a HP Reverb that has really high resolution screens, but you need a Geforce 1080ti or a Geforce 2080ti to get it running OK. On the HP Reverb there isn't those lines in DCS and other games, but Like I said you need a powerful Pc and HP Reverb is really just for seated experiences. Plus it's a WMR headset.
  • luc.corbeil1luc.corbeil1 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Great thanks for that ! I was wondering if I could activate FXAA somehow in the NVIDIA settings. It is sad that all that jaggie and flashing will probably remain, at least, to some extent.

And it doesn't seem that buying a new card like the RTX 2080 will fix this, as you say, its the Oculus resolution the limiting factor.