New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right Controller Wanders Off

jonathansampsonjonathansampson Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited September 2019 in Support
TL;DR — Right-hand controller floats off at times. Improved lighting and swapping controllers had no effect.

I just bought my Quest 2 days ago. Loved it so much that I bought 2 more yesterday. Then today, while playing Beat Saber, my right-controller started to wander off. I exited the app and did some testing in the home screen. Shaking it rapidly (as though I were playing Beat Saber) causes it to sometimes float off in another direction.

I thought, perhaps, the lighting in the room could be a problem. Turning on more light had no effect. Then I thought maybe it was an issue with the right-side cameras on the headset. I swapped controller hands (playing the right controller in the left hand, and the left controller in the right hand). Shaking the controllers again resulted in the right controller (now in my left hand) floating off, and the left controller (no in my right hand) responding without issue.

This definitely looks like an issue with the Right controller exclusively.

Related: Oculus Quest losing tracking of right controller often on Reddit (May 30, 2019)

Comments

• jonathansampsonjonathansampson Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Update: I just put the headset back on again to see in the problem still existed. A quick jostle of the right-controller sent it floating off into the room. I did, however, notice the battery reporting to be 100% (which couldn't possibly be correct). This could just be the default value until the system determines the actual battery value, but I still decided to partially remove the battery and re-insert it back into the controller. To my surprise, I was not immediately able to reproduce the wandering-controller issue.

I'll keep my eyes open, and report back if there are any changes.
  • vrarcadezonevrarcadezone Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    i have the same problem now with one unit. i buy in 2 oculus quest (one don´t have this problem) plan buy in more but first i like to know how can fix this problem soon!!!
  • FettoFoxFettoFox Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I am also having this issue
  • StoneyBeatZStoneyBeatZ Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same issue with the right controller only. You might even get it back on and working, but it eventually stops working in like 3 minutes, none of the buttons will register, and you cant even get out of the game. This is happening to too many people for oculus not to take notice and address the issue. Everybody with these bum controllers can not play their oculus they got for Christmas, and now were all stuck waiting for either new controllers like me for 70 bucks, hoping that even fixes it, or even a solution to the problem. Because it seems to be a huge one right now. Of course the people who are having no problems are gonna chime in and tell you how great theirs is working so it cant be a problem. But it's happening to tons of right controllers and people cant play. 
  • StoneyBeatZStoneyBeatZ Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    The people who are having no problems love to come on here and give us people who are having problems a hard time like we haven't tried everything or something. We cant play, they can so they're loving it. 
  • AnMouAnMou Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue with my right controller! It started doing this yesterday after only a few days of having my Quest. What I noticed though is it started happening right after I change the battery for the first time. Then, it would come on and off, and I noticed when it was off that the little white light on the controller also turns off, so the controller turns off completely. I then played with the battery a little, turning, putting it back it and it usually fixes it, but then it happens again.

It's like there is a manufacturing issue where the battery doesn't stay into place correctly or the contact is bad...
  • DaxmortDaxmort Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    AnMou said:
    Same issue with my right controller! It started doing this yesterday after only a few days of having my Quest. What I noticed though is it started happening right after I change the battery for the first time. Then, it would come on and off, and I noticed when it was off that the little white light on the controller also turns off, so the controller turns off completely. I then played with the battery a little, turning, putting it back it and it usually fixes it, but then it happens again.

It's like there is a manufacturing issue where the battery doesn't stay into place correctly or the contact is bad...
    This has started happening to me as of the 6th of April, too. Will be in the middle of a game, when suddenly the controller will just stop functioning despite battery life being equal to that of the left controller, which has no issues.
  • beersandbaconbeersandbacon Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Just got a brand new Quest. First attempt at the beatsaber demo this is happening CONSTANTLY.
  • shane.greenwald82shane.greenwald82 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I would just like to say if nobody has this problem fixed that the battery often does not sit tightly in  The compartment so try folding a tiny piece of tinfoil into a little tiny square in sticking it between the tip of the battery and the metal that it normally contacts in order to Make the electrical connectionFirm andIn this will hopefully remove any play the battery gets when Swinging the controller