The cosmos launches tomorrow Sept. 12 but.... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The cosmos launches tomorrow Sept. 12 but....

inovatorinovator Posts: 1,968
Project 2501
WHY ALL THE SECRECY. I mean they won't give the specs until the live launch. A bad movie many times is not allowed to be reviewed before launch.  I'm just saying. 

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
    "Why I'm no longer jealous of the Cosmos. And why the Cosmos really isn't 2nd gen"

right inovator?

:p 
     :D 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
    In other news, apparently Pimax might release some news on their 8KX headset on September 16th or even a new headset. Who knows from them.Also HP Reverb is back in stock. So all go this week then.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,968
    Project 2501
    "Why I'm no longer jealous of the Cosmos. And why the Cosmos really isn't 2nd gen"

right inovator?

:p 
     :D 

Could happen.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,619 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    WHY ALL THE SECRECY. I mean they won't give the specs until the live launch. A bad movie many times is not allowed to be reviewed before launch.  I'm just saying. 

Fundamentally, we are seen the HTC VR operation driven by the head office and they are fixated on their Asian roll-out The Western deployment is tied to their new partnerships with Qualcomm and also their involvement on a new 5G VR streaming hub. 

IMHO and not based on anything more than observation of the developments internationally, I would not be surprised that the Lenovo/OculusVR Rift-S and rumors of a possible updated version has shaped their secrecy - also the whole aspect of the "tether" [USB-C] cable and mobile-phone sync support, are elements they want to ensure is unique to their Cosmos platform.  
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,003 Valuable Player
    edited September 11
    lets be honest, all the big players will already know the exact specs of the cosmos.... they may not admit it but they will have sources. ... it is not like a usb c connection is some out there idea that no one else has thought off..... imo them releasing more info now would not affect other peoples headsets one way or the other.

Call me a pessimist but I tend tho go on the view that if a company is not giving detailed specs, then it means the detailed specs are not complimentary ....... (ie Oculus have in the past been reticent to spell out things like FOV when talking about rift S or Rift CV1 before launch - and it was not because they wanted to blow us all away on launch). Instead they focused on their platform and coming titles because that was where they knew they had the opposition beat.

I say this as someone who wants to be wrong because the cosmos is of interest to me.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Project 2501
    lets be honest, all the big players will already know the exact specs of the cosmos.... they may not admit it but they will have sources. ... it is not like a usb c connection is some out there idea that no one else has thought off..... imo them releasing more info now would not affect other peoples headsets one way or the other.

Call me a pessimist but I tend tho go on the view that if a company is not giving detailed specs, then it means the detailed specs are not complimentary ....... (ie Oculus have in the past been reticent to spell out things like FOV when talking about rift S before launch - and it was not because they wanted to blow us all away on launch)

I say this as someone who wants to be wrong because the cosmos is of interest to me.
    Exactly. I'm sure it will have some good features but if this head set was good enough they would want to get people excited before launch.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,416 Valuable Player
    I thought we basically already knew the specs? They just don't have it all listed in one place yet. Other than price - or any super last min changes - what else did people want to know about the headset?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,089 Valuable Player
    In other news, apparently Pimax might release some news on their 8KX headset on September 16th or even a new headset. Who knows from them.Also HP Reverb is back in stock. So all go this week then.
    So Reverb Gen3 display is 2 x 2160x2160 and Pimax 8KX Gen4 is 2 x 3840x2160. And I couldn't wait for Gen4 and now I'm stuck with a Gen2 hmd  :'( 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Mradr said:
    I thought we basically already knew the specs? They just don't have it all listed in one place yet. Other than price - or any super last min changes - what else did people want to know about the headset?
    Same here, specs were posted long ago, so unless HTC made last minute changes to the specs...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    So Reverb Gen3 display is 2 x 2160x2160 and Pimax 8KX Gen4 is 2 x 3840x2160. And I couldn't wait for Gen4 and now I'm stuck with a Gen2 hmd  :'( 
    Unless they plan to get eye tracking with FOVA working (witch would only work with NV cards) - that is going to require some horse power to run that at all. 
    edited September 11
    Mradr said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Unless they plan to get eye tracking with FOVA working (witch would only work with NV cards) - that is going to require some horse power to run that at all. 
    I think current gen 2 is an optimal match for current high end gpus. Anything above may not work well in upcoming advanced VR games.  Cosmos was earlier shown with same res as Index, probably a good choice.

It's so easy to forget that running Lone Echo ss 100% in solid 90 fps with just a tiny bit of msaa and no taa will require a 2080 Ti or better- when using Index res.

edited September 11
    RuneSR2 said:
    Mradr said:
    Same here, specs were posted long ago, so unless HTC made last minute changes to the specs...
    I didnt know the FOV had been announced? also does it have a mechanical ipd adjustment?, what is the battery life of the controllers (AA or usb rechargable)  and have they upgraded the lenses? the vive pro had a nice screen (at the time) but spoiled by poor lenses imo.

The other things for me is one which we wont know until it launches... how good is the tracking (compared to rift S and to lighthouse), how good is steamVR implementation, does revive work on it, does it support OpenXR

perhaps the info is out and i have missed it.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited September 11
    RuneSR2 said:
    Mradr said:
    I didnt know the FOV had been announced? also does it have a mechanical ipd adjustment?, what is the battery life of the controllers (AA or usb rechargable)  and have they upgraded the lenses? the vive pro had a nice screen (at the time) but spoiled by poor lenses imo.

The other things for me is one which we wont know until it launches... how good is the tracking (compared to rift S and to lighthouse), how good is steamVR implementation, does revive work on it, does it support OpenXR

perhaps the info is out and i have missed it.

I mean I don't keep up with it - but I thought it was 90-110 FOV (give or take some as everyone is different). The Cosmos was said to have a hardware IPD adjustment as well. As for life of the controllers - I am not sure - but I would stand to say either about the same as Touch or an hour or two less considering they're about the same size and using light as a tracking method. The image above does say they have improve lenses - so yes?

As you said though - how this compares to the rest we wont know until some reviewers get their hands on it - but we can't know that base off specs alone either.
    the image you posted does not answer the questions i am interested in tho.... FOV of 90-110 is a huge huge range and is more than a minor difference between peoples individual faces... either way however if that number is correct, even at the 110 range, that is disappointing imo.

I am happy with the resolution but that is the only thing that image covers really...
    edited September 11
    the image you posted does not answer the questions i am interested in tho.... FOV of 90-110 is a huge huge range and is more than a minor difference between peoples individual faces... either way however if that number is correct, even at the 110 range, that is disappointing imo.

I am happy with the resolution but that is the only thing that image covers really...
    Well most headsets are in that range (Quest, Rift S, Vive, Index, etc) - and base off the images of other headset they have shown off - that falls inline with everyone else really. So I am not sure what is "disappointing" about it. It's possible they might have gotten a little more in the 110-120 range - but the lens sizes don't match up for anything north of that number.

If the rumor price of 600-750 is true - that still be worth getting over an Index (base off specs of course) but still an upgrade over Rift S if tracking can meet or does a little better than Oculus can. I would consider it a true 2.5 upgrade long as that tracking holds well.
    edited September 11
    I've primarily considered Cosmos like an improved version of Rift-S maybe with the possibility of transforming it into something like Quest:

https://360rumors.com/htc-vive-cosmos/

"Tethered instead of wireless.  The new Vive Cosmos has a cable whereas the previous one had no visible cable.  The Vive Cosmos appears to be a desktop VR headset, seemingly irreconcilable with HTC’s previous statement that the Vive Cosmos could be controlled either by a desktop or a smartphone.  It is not clear if the redesigned Vive Cosmos will still be able to connect to a smartphone given that it has a cable (presumably for USB and HDMI or DVI)."

I never found Cosmos very interesting, but let's see what happens tomorrow. 

edited September 11
    regardless... you were the one who said we already know the specs, but it sounds a bit like you are guessing.  Lets assume you correct however and split the difference in the region of 100.

what do i have to be dissapointed about?... well <shrugs> that is a personal thing I guess but personally for a headset closer to £900 (inc tax and postage) than to £400 I would like a better FOV than my 2014 DK2 and my 2016 CV1. (and better than a £400 Rift S)

Index doesnt have a huge FOV improvement but it is a slight one, and i was not expecting pimax levels of FOV but for a premium priced product i was hoping a region of 130-140.
    Project 2501
    regardless... you were the one who said we already know the specs, but it sounds a bit like you are guessing.  Lets assume you correct however and split the difference in the region of 100.

what do i have to be dissapointed about?... well <shrugs> that is a personal thing I guess but personally for a headset closer to £900 (inc tax and postage) than to £400 I would like a better FOV than my 2014 DK2 and my 2016 CV1. (and better than a £400 Rift S)

Index doesnt have a huge FOV improvement but it is a slight one, and i was not expecting pimax levels of FOV but for a premium priced product i was hoping a region of 130-140.
    I'm not an index fan especially with its factory defective knuckle controllers but anyone reviewing it said the increase in fov even though not huge made a big difference even allowing  some perifial vision. But cosmos needing to use a phone to be used without a PC to me is stupid and a huge turnoff. That being said if there was some big leaps over the rift s I could consider it but I doubt that will happen 
    That is actually another thing about the cosmos. I have not followed as closely as some but is it just me or do HTC seem to have backed off those claims somewhat?  I am almost half expecting it just to be a teathered headset now. (which is fine but the option to wang a phone in there could be cool).

Argos did have a preorder one up at £700 inc vat..... I must admit if that is correct it is actually not as bad as i feared price wise
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
     I would not be surprised that the Lenovo/OculusVR Rift-S and rumors of a possible updated version has shaped their secrecy.
    Where have you seen this rumor?
    maybe wishful thinking on here.... If we ask  for it enough maybe Oculus will see the light and throw us a bone :D
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,579 Valuable Player
    edited September 11
    maybe wishful thinking on here.... If we ask  for it enough maybe Oculus will see the light and throw us a bone :D
    Maybe they are just going to fully fix the Rift S and that's the update version :p
    I've got a HP Reverb now so if there is a rumor about a new Rift S, I hope it's got the HP Reverb displays because I can't drop back to a lower resolution after seeing the HP Reverb.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,374 Volunteer Moderator
    And why isn't the reverb on there???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111 said:
    And why isn't the reverb on there???

I think at the time of the list being created, the HP system was Enterprise centric, and this was a consumer list. IMHO
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,374 Volunteer Moderator
    The Vive pro was aimed at enterprise also...strange.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited September 11
    I know I am going to be looking at the Cosmos pretty hard when they release any details or reviewer comments when they demo it out. Still - I would wait for OC6 before finalizing any purchases. Never know what Oculus is cooking up ~ if not - I might pick up a Cosmos if the reviews are good enough. My problem - is when I buy something - I always want something that can last me a while so I usually spend a little more than the year over year model / lower price point.  I did hear a rumor of a new Rift Quest S might be a thing (adapter for Quest to connect to the PC).

Just built a 1.6k computer with a RTX 2080 - Ryzen 3700x - DDR4 3600 15-15-15-35 - and some other banging gear - all OC for another 15% gain in performance, so I am ready for the next generation eye tracking VR ready devices to rock my eye balls^^
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,262
    Wintermute
    edited September 11
    Mradr said:
    Just built a 1.6k computer with a RTX 2080 - Ryzen 3700x - DDR4 3600 15-15-15-35 - and some other banging gear - all OC for another 15% gain in performance, so I am ready for the next generation eye tracking VR ready devices to rock my eye balls^^
    Not sure why you went Ryzen 3700x instead of an i7 9700k (which I think is better for gaming)???

Also looking forward to the Cosmos release, later today.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Un-tethered HTC Cosmos also shown:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,262
    Wintermute
    edited September 12
    Ok, finally up on the Australian Vive Store.  Only $A 1299!  Looks fantastic and my wife the banker has given me a reluctant go ahead.  Now I gotta decide whether or not to be a beta tester all over again, lol!

https://www.vive.com/au/product/cosmos/

Also a nice 60hz wireless unit is available SOON for only an extra ~$A479!

https://www.vive.com/au/wireless-adapter/

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

This discussion has been closed.