Sold my Oculus Quest. Here's Why — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sold my Oculus Quest. Here's Why

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,697 Valuable Player
edited September 11 in General
I love the Oculus Quest. Good for wire-free gaming, good for large open spaces and great for streaming from PC. A really nice entry system for those looking at VR for the first time. However, when you own an Oculus GO it's not as comfy in bed for movie viewing and the guardian system under dim lights becomes a pain every time you remove the headset.  If you own any superior fidelity PC tethered headsets then the Quest kind of loses its lustre unless you're taking it with you to demonstrate to others.  I played Racket Fury daily on the quest until I got a superior tethered headset and switched playing it on that. The difference was night & day in terms of performance, visuals and overall experience.

Sadly, since then the quest gathered dust.  I've not used it now for weeks, getting my kicks on tethered gaming at a much higher quality.  I think this opinion is shared with many others as well. If you own superior headsets in the house that are already set up, then the Quest doesn't get a look-in. The wireless benefits are only great if you have lots of space to take advantage of that. 

My only wants now then for Quest 1.5 or 2 is a higher quality performance, streaming built-in by a first-party app (come on Oculus) or the option to tether to PC to take advantage of higher fidelity gaming. 

Edit: Just for the record, I have no regrets buying it. A real eye-opener to the possibilities of future VR headsets.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,089 Valuable Player
    To me my time in VR is very restricted due to work and the family. I also have more than one hmd, but the best one is nearly always the one I use. I think I've learned that the thought of having multiple hmds is nice, but in the real world I end up using only one. But maybe the thought of having another for backup makes me sleep better at night, lol.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,721 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 11
    I'm still using my Quest quite often. I take it to work with me for a little Beat Saber or Gun Club during my lunch hour. I've also started using it for streaming PCVR, for times when I don't want to be holed up in my man cave. (The streaming isn't perfect, but its better than I expected it to be.) I hadn't been using my Rift much since getting the Quest, until No Man's Sky released. Now I'm using both regularly.

There's a rumour going around that Oculus will announce official PCVR-Quest streaming support (possibly with a piece of hardware?) at OC6. I don't want to put too much stock in it at this point, but if I could truly use my Quest for PC games at high quality and full resolution, I'd probably retire my CV1.

Here's the video spreading the streaming rumour:

i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,854 Valuable Player
    I have PCVR and thought about getting quest, but I don't think I'd use it much.  I don't use my regular VR that much, going mobile doesn't seem like it would make me use it more.  I certainly wouldn't take it to work to use on my breaks or lunch break.  I don't want to look like the doofus that I used to work with that had his Mustang 5.0 with the NCC1701 Personalized License plate, and he wore a blind fold while he practiced his samurai skills with his wooden swords by his car at lunch every day.  I'd get the looks THAT guy got if I started playing VR at work.....

What makes Quest awesome is that now my friends that don't have a PC can actually get into VR and afford it.  The price of the computer and gpu combined keeps almost everyone out of PCVR niche because it's so damn expensive and not seen as worth it if you have no other use for a computer.