augmented reality problem and solution — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

augmented reality problem and solution

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 512
Trinity
the augmented reality problem is how does a artificial image sit on the real world seen through glasses?

the solution i found is based on a experience i had sitting in my car watching a butterfly outside through a bush.

as i looked at the butterfly through the bush i had a narrow opening through the bush that i could see the butterfly sitting down a few feet past the bush. the butterfly sitting down was stretching its black wings then sat still looking around.

i envisioned the butterfly as a augmented reality image, what would i need to make the butterfly in augmented reality act the same way i saw the butterfly through that narrow hole in the bush?

the bush occluded the butterfly if i moved my head in the car.

- adding in occlusion using increasing layers of occlusion paints the 3d imagery.
- the nearer you are to the image the less occlusion layers it has you can see around the occlusion easily, the farther away you are to the image the move occlusion stacks there are you cant see around the occlusion easily.
the same mechanical principle as drinking water from a cup: you drink the liquid at the top part of the cup first and easily, before drinking the liquid at the bottom part of the cup which you only drink if you drank the top portion of the cup.

so i think if you have augmented reality you use lens focus instead of cup holding drinking liquid to have the same principle. for farther away objects the outside of the virtual object starts clear then gets increasingly out of focus.

if ALL virtual objects as different distances have the same focus its not correct looking. even if the objects on the peripheral are artificially blurred as the object in the distance is seen its better than keeping all ar objects at different distances the same clarity.

looking at kuras ar demo video all the colored dancing robots are the same clarity;

then you match the focal distance so the surrounding objects are more in focus than farther focal distances.

Comments

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 512
    Trinity
    edited September 12
    shortened version of previous post;
    - you match the focal distance so the surrounding objects are more in focus than farther focal distances. = the object the eyes are looking at = the depth or distance of the object

you need to track the eyes focus to gather depth looked at which would match a object at that depth, or match the object being looked at as equal to some depth/distance.

- also, the different distances create occlusion values of greater to lesser: the lesser being farther being obscured by the greater which is nearer. = you then need to have depth perception of the outside world

mapping the outside world to gather distance of objects is necessary to give occlusion value.

with so many cameras one stereoscopic out and at least one facing the eye it might be hard to fit on a pair of sunglasses, especially with a little processing power of a small belt clip.