cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC VIVE Cosmos has launched - specs, reviews and impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Moved this post from another thread - Cosmos deserves its own thread. And Cosmos is out - I kinda like the music, lol:

https://youtu.be/RmI8mLskRXs

https://youtu.be/5vkqM1hhs3A

$700 (includes free 12-month VIVEPORT Infinity membership,worth $99):

https://www.vive.com/us/product/cosmos/

So no phoneVR, but something much better:

Wireless Adapter
Untethered virtual reality is here. Remove cords from the equation. Move freely. Get powerful visual and audio transmission at 60GHz. Featuring Intel® WiGig technology. 
*Sold separately.
Thus untethered is still 90 Hz, but transmission is done at 60 GHz. 

And HTC did what Oculus failed to do - they've added support for external sensors too, this could be the most awesome tracking options ever made - this may also help HTC not getting a lot of criticism in case inside-out isn't working perfectly (like Rift-S in the beginning):

External Tracking Mod
Lighthouse tracking support. Combine the precision of Lighthouse tracking with the flexibility of VIVE Cosmos with this novel mod. Coming soon.
*External Tracking Mod sold separately.
*SteamVR™ compatible base stations and controllers sold separately.
Full specs:

w3q12x108wyk.jpg

Cosmos places itself between Rift-S and Index, probably a very smart move. You can upgrade the tracking to probably be better than Index, but you won't get the Index fov and refresh rates - and you won't get the Knuckles. 

Regarding the hardware Cosmos looks much better than Rift-S, but it's also nearly twice as expensive. And Oculus has a lot of exclusive content. Tracking and controllers may win greatly compared to Reverb, but of course Reverb still has the better res. 

Cosmos res is 33 % higher than Rift-S. And 6% higher than the Index. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

434 REPLIES 434

Wildt
Consultant
Looks to me like the external mod is HMD only.. which is pointless. Inside out works fine for HMD tracking - it's the controllers that could benefit from external sensors.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I suspected the mobile phone integration had been dropped.... not a surprise but a shame but is one of the reasons i was asking if anyone knew more details in my post yesterday... I had an idea the final specs would be different from the ones 1st released.

I like that you can opt into lighthouse, but at the same time if you do that then you probably may as well just buy an index package and be done with it. (esp as the controllers dont support base station tracking so would need to buy knuckles too)

For £700 if we get it for that in blighty I will investigate, but it depends how good its stand alone tracking is compared to insight.  For me my interest in cosmos lives or dies based on its inside out tracking and standard included controllers (which look like rifts touch clones but with snazzy lights)

IF Oculus had released a rift around these specs (resolution / manual ipd adjustment and price i would likely be all over it, but the loss of the oculus infrastructure is a big one. (and i was hoping for a slightly better FOV, tho still a step up from the rift albeit a little one) - of course the maximum is 110, which makes me wonder what the typical one will be.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I like that you can opt into lighthouse, but at the same time if you do that then you probably may as well just buy an index package and be done with it.

I was thinking that this is an option for those upgrading from older VIVE HMDs - you don't have to throw out your base stations, they can still be of use. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

$700 (includes free 12-month VIVEPORT Infinity membership,worth $99):

The good news is they actually will sell it to Australians (unlike Valve, who have refused to ever sell any hardware to us). The bad news is they inflated the price. It's $1300au, double the $649au price of the Rift-S / Quest.
That's $894us.

Wildt said:

Looks to me like the external mod is HMD only.. which is pointless. Inside out works fine for HMD tracking - it's the controllers that could benefit from external sensors.

Yeah, a good idea that's been half-assed by not applying to the parts that need it most.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Thanks for starting a new pre-release thread mate!

I’m very tempted to pre-order one of these.  Especially since I now have an ok (somewhat reluctant) from my wife the banker.  I’m just not sure I want to be an early beta tester or not.  Another thing that worries me is HTC support.  I’ve never heard a lot of good things about it.  But maybe it has improved?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
the same resolution as the index roughly, a bit better. i bet its heavy and the screen color isnt very good like the index isnt. because if its an upgraded index which it sounds like it is i bet the screen is the same as the indexs just newer, and this will make the index outdated by that token.

if it can connect to the pc then this is the best vr headset for the next 5 years i would think, just too bad the price is so high. 1000 or 1200 Canadian probably? not consumer friendly.

i bet if oculus copied the cosmos but used a better screen and both inside out and outside in tracking for the controllers they would own the vr market again for a long time if the price is right.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
kdrzyrt9vl3u.jpg

UK price
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Now i like the look of this, i will need to wait for hands on consumer reviews......but i like the look of this indeed. 🙂
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
1060 minimum isn't too bad either.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.