New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb second impression thread. (Revision 2)

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,583 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 14
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,775 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    Techy111 said:
    Other than fixing the screen issues what else have they [HP] done? Is there a list of changes somewhere. Not sure why you put Gen 2 as if it's a new device? Is the cable less thick for example?
    No the cable is much of the same, a clip  is included to stop the cable parting. Also it states VR1000-2××× in the home portal so something has changed with the headset. It certainly doesn't get warm anymore.
    They changed some components in the headset to low tolerance components. They were supposed to be low tolerance from the start, but during manufacturing they were changed to higher tolerance components which caused screen flickering. So they have basically changed them back to low tolerance ones.
    @Techy -Where exactly do you see this because I've looked and can't find it VR1000-2×××
    My impression of HP Reverb -This is the resolution VR needs to be at imo. Everything is much clear to see and near 2D resolution. Just using the HP Reverb for desktop use is a great now. I won't be purchasing lower resolutions VR headsets unless they can look like the HP Reverb.

If you check my screenshot earlier in this thread then look above the white box near the top and it shows VR1000-2××× see it ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,110 Valuable Player
    Hmm.. now a whole bunch of danish resellers have it in stock. Think I might give it another go.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    ...aaaand ordered :sunglasses:
    Let us know how it goes :)

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,946 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    ...aaaand ordered :sunglasses:
    Cheapest seller in Denmark wants like $800 it seems - but at least better than the $1250 you have to bleed over here for the Index. Could get my aunt in Chicago to bring one home for Christmas, but let's put a pin in that idea, lol. Looking forward to your review!
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited September 18
    @Shadowmask72 - Were you able to do a side by side comparison of the display yet? I'm just wondering what you thought.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,853 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    Yes. Will post a full comparison in due course (video & text).

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 467
    Trinity
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,505
    Project 2501
    ShocksVR said:
    Ya, now only $US499.99.  No discounts on the Aussie HP store though, still $A 999.99

Still the most expensive WMR headset out there!  Good to see its price gravitating down though.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,698 Volunteer Moderator
    SteamVR needs to query which headsets are connected. To check if a Rift is connected, it needs to call the Oculus SDK. Calling the Oculus SDK triggers the Oculus Client to start.

The Australian consumer edition Reverb costs more than the US enterprise edition ($999au is currently equal to $679us).

If the price wasn't bloated here, I'd probably get a Reverb for seated non motion controller stuff, and keep my CV1 for standing VR. (I've stopped using my Rift-S and gone back to CV1, just so much hassle to get it working each time I wanted to use it)
    kojack said:
    SteamVR needs to query which headsets are connected. To check if a Rift is connected, it needs to call the Oculus SDK. Calling the Oculus SDK triggers the Oculus Client to start.

The Australian consumer edition Reverb costs more than the US enterprise edition ($999au is currently equal to $679us).

If the price wasn't bloated here, I'd probably get a Reverb for seated non motion controller stuff, and keep my CV1 for standing VR. (I've stopped using my Rift-S and gone back to CV1, just so much hassle to get it working each time I wanted to use it)
    It would indeed be great to have SteamVR detect all connected HMDs and then to let you decide which one you want to use. My Index is always connected, but I've chosen to disconnect CV1 when not in use - that means should I ever accidentally start a Steam game from Oculus Home, I have no idea what would happen (the thought of Index not working correctly afterwards has greatly limited my urge to perform that experiment, lol).

I think @RedRizla or @Shadowmask72 should try it first!  o:)  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited September 21
    BTW, it's only been 2 months since I got the Index, and finally I felt the time was ready to see my first movie :blush: First installed Playa, which didn't show one movie in correct aspect ratio and didn't work with srt - making the effort to watch Japanse anime significantly harder than I'd like it to be, lol. Then I continued to Deo VR player, which worked great - but again the idio* *cough!* the nice devs haven't implemented srt support. How hard can srt support be to implement? - All my Oculus players support srt. Now I'm down to trying the Gizmo VR player - or if that fails the SkyBox VR player, which supports srt, but that one is 10GB just for a movie player, sigh. 

That said watching movies using Index ss 200% is the closest thing I've ever been watching movies in a theater - at home ;) The Index fov means you can get exactly same area covered by the movie on your retina as if you were in a real theater. Only thing is the res being slightly worse - but I have only tested 1080p movies. Sound was amazing too, don't go cheap on the HMD sound if you want to watch movies! 
    Using Index wasn't as good as watching movies on my Sony 85", but the Sony TV automatically upscales 1080p content to 4K, enhances colors, has much better black levels and has 1000Hz motion flow - but Index provides a much bigger screen on your retina than Sony 85" (3m viewing distance) and Index isn't a bad solution in any way. Index is way beyond Rift CV1 when watching movies, because you don't notice SDE using the Index - while you constantly see the SDE when watching movies on the CV1. And Index vs. CV1 res in movies is like comparing day and night... 

edited September 21
    Steam games are alright when you can decide if you want Oculus to start them or Steam VR, but I think I remember getting blank screens with just the Steam VR option and no option to chose Oculus VR.
    edited September 23
    Right, finally got the thing out of it's box. It's been sitting there for days, but RL required my attention.
    Anywho, good news, the display doesn't seem to have any defects, and the mura seems quite a bit more subtle. :)

But boy, does that facial interface seal up the heat - it fogged up within 2 minutes of sitting down for crying out loud.
    Never had that problem, do you have it really tight to your head with the straps mate ?

Wildt said:

But boy, does that facial interface seal up the heat - it fogged up with 2 minutes of sitting down for crying out loud.

Don't play "Steam" games, lol (admitted that was an incredibly bad joke).

Btw, Index is hotter that CV1, but I think I know why - so far Index has never fogged up, while CV1 did so very often.

Techy111 said:
    Never had that problem, do you have it really tight to your head with the straps mate ?
    Nope, quite loose actually. I got that perforated PU leather interface from VRCover for my CV1. Fogging is a non-issue there.
    edited September 23
    I've had fogging once or twice, but it never came back when I took it off and wiped it and it doesn't happen all the time. I also use mine quite a lot, so I think it might have had something to do with the room temperature at the time. Strangely, it's my CV1 that fogs up all the time for me and I have the PU from VR Cover.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,818 Valuable Player
    We have a number of clients that have moved over to the Reverb - most are coming up to four months with the system in operation and generally they are much happier. Also HP has upped the support and doing some great things with their SDK for Enterprise. Interested to see if this investment is being matched with the consumer users?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Well I hope HP add some user settings such as colour and brightness controls.  As for support, it's certainly much better now than it was months ago when the Reverb first launched. 

edited September 24
    Well I hope HP add some user settings such as colour and brightness controls.  As for support, it's certainly much better now than it was months ago when the Reverb first launched. 
    Would that even possible in these VR headsets? Would be good if you were able to adjust the brightness, but I'm not sure if it can be done.
    Wildt said:
    Techy111 said:
    Nope, quite loose actually. I got that perforated PU leather interface from VRCover for my CV1. Fogging is a non-issue there.

I have a desk fan pointed at my face/hmd all the time, might work for you fella ?

Just noticed...  gotta love how they protected the most value parts with that blue film... the lenses and the HP LOGO!
    Wildt said:
    gotta love how they protected the most value parts with that blue film... 

Sounds kinda kinky to me, but I easily get confused - first it seems we talked about HMDs, and now you start talking about girls? :blush:   

[bad humor again, sorry]

So you like the Reverb?  B)

I am in heaven with mine, for sims this headset is the bees knees. 

Wildt said:
    Just noticed...  gotta love how they protected the most value parts with that blue film... the lenses and the HP LOGO!
    Correction. That top blue film was covering the proximity sensor not the logo.

edited September 24
    Wildt said:
    Correction. That top blue film was covering the proximity sensor not the logo.
    No way lol! It's literally the size of the plastic with the logo on it. Still got it.
    edited September 24
    RuneSR2 said:

So you like the Reverb?  B)
    Yes I do. I don't really have much to add to my first impressions other than what I said above.
    Only new thing is that I've now had time to watch some 3d movies in BigScreen - and it's really good. The limited sweet spot of the lenses still makes it an inferior experience compared to my projector though. And having that massive cable connector sit on your shoulder is a drag when turning your head in a recliner.
    I'm content though. I knew what it could do, it's pros and cons, and bought it again :)