New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb second impression thread. (Revision 2)

13»

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,870 Valuable Player
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    The thing that's starting to bother me the most is actually how much light is required for the HMD tracking to be reliable.  It sure doesn't like my mancave with black walls  and very few (and weak) lamps in the evening:(
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,351 Valuable Player

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,048 Valuable Player
    Reverb has been down to $500 for some weeks in NA, it's a great price indeed. 

BTW - just found this nice comparison illustrating different HMD resolutions including Reverb, Index, Rift-S, Pimax hmds etc:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/VR_headset_resolution_per_eye_comparison.png
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 1,045
    Neo

costs after tax and shipping:

CDN$ 964.67

heres a review;

"
    I received it on time but didn't like the product.
    October 7, 2019 - Published on Amazon.com
    Verified Purchase
    It got me on time and there weren't any shipping issues at all but as far as the product goes, I really wanted to get something good and thought the Reverb would be outstanding considering the resolution but the only good thing about it is the resolution. The colors are terrible it's washed out and the headphones are generic, the controllers are the only other decent thing about it which isn't saying much. I waited a while until this headset was available and it turns out I should have gotten the Index instead. I made a $700 mistake and there is nothing I can do about it. It turned me off to buying a new headset now. I don't know maybe somebody else will buy it off of me and I can get some money back
    "

"
    Build flaws are a distraction from amazing clarity
    August 13, 2019 - Published on Amazon.com
    First off, this display really is next-level clear. I have owned, and am comparing this to:
    Samsung Odyssey
    Samsung Odyssey +
    Oculus Rift
    Pimax 4K

Edit 8/15/2019: I got tired of the dimming and will be returning this device. I have also purchased one directly from HP now that I hear that the latest batch has been much more stable. I will further update this review once I receive and test the replacement.

On to the observations...
    Pros:
    + The display - This is why I bought it. It is very crisp and delivers *almost* no SDE while also avoiding that slight haze like the O+.
    + No light leakage
    + Comfort - Definitely finding lighter and it easier to use with glasses than some of the other HMDs.
    + Despite the warnings about needing a powerhouse PC to run it, I seem to have no trouble on a Core i5 8600K(6 cores), 16 GB RAM, and a GTX1060. I saw little difference if any when running on my gaming rig, with 32GB Ram, Core i7, and a GTX1080. Admittedly I am not a hardcore gamer and may not notice subtleties so YMMV.
    + I am lucky to have average IPD so I've had no problems there.

Cons:
    - This connector situation is shameful. In case you haven't heard, the cable connector tends to work itself loose which gives you flickers, black screen, one side failing, etc. I found a few solutions on Reddit that pointed me in the right direction. By adding wire ties to hold the connector in place it has become MUCH more stable.
    - There seems to be a dimming issue after 20 minutes of usage, but I am not sure if this is heat or the connector acting up again. The message boards are again a good place to check and stay informed on findings.
    - The cable is stiff and flat which makes it bend and twist much less freely than a round cable would.
    - Tracking is no better than previous WMR from what I can tell. In fact, this has been more goofy at times, showing controllers as a mirror image, or in the wrong places when I first start etc. A quick restart fixes it.

Other notes:
    * Make sure you adjust your SteamVR resolution up to 188% because the default resolution does not take full advantage of this display.

Final verdict:
    If you are looking for a perfect, flawless, fully commercially ready product you may want to wait a few months for HP to work out the kinks. Personally, I am keeping it despite the issues. As an early adopter I expect to hit some bumps. The cable things seems to be manageable. And if the display dimming is declared to be a hardware issue (rather than drivers or something else) I will jump on the bandwagon and complain to HP for a fix even if it is months from now. I assume, hopefully not naively, that they will stand by their product especially for those of us who took a chance on it early in the game.
    "

i dont know. i think an index might be better.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,009 Valuable Player
    edited October 2019
    You obviously haven't read enough about the HP Reverb. if you opt into Steam for mixed Reality VR beta and also opt into the Steam VR beta it fixes the rendering issues and gives better performance too. You then don't need to set it at 188% you just have to set it to 100% in the Steam VR settings. I also have none of the problems you speak about apart from the cable is a bit of a pain. I don't get things like dimming or blank screens because they were fixed with the newer version.
    There's a HP Reverb thread somewhere if you use the search function on this forum about the HP Reverb. Also, why have you sent for another one because it sounds like you prefer a Valve index?
    Just seen that they have dropped the price of the HP Reverb to £514.80. Great price considering you get the best resolution VR headset out there. I know there's more to a VR headset then just resolution, but for sims and other seated experiences the HP Reverb is a steal at that price.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,670 Valuable Player
    If they just put more cameras on it :(
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,288 Valuable Player
    I wish I was convinced of that, as I am sure enjoying my Rift S with my sims. However just sold my 1080 Ti so may consider trying out a Reverb just for my flight sims. Somewhat worried I would be disappointed though.  Decisions, decisions. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,351 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    My most plugged in HMD at the moment. I really like the integration with windows 10.  I like being able to have a desktop view and then opening other windows for Explorer. I can play music videos in one browser whilst working in another.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,859 Volunteer Moderator
    And as for sims, it gets my time, everytime. No CV1 or Rift S could compare to the clarity imo 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,045 Valuable Player
    When Microsoft finally dumps WMR I kinda think that you will not be so happy, lol!  Just kidding and I hope for your sakes this does not happen. At least you'll all still have a nice rtx2080ti to play with.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

If the sims I fly were to provide native WMR support for the Reverb, I would be much more inclined to give one a try.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,859 Volunteer Moderator
    Do you fly our Flyinsde mate ? Built from the ground up for VR and works a treat with the Reverb ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited November 2019
    dburne said:
    If the sims I fly were to provide native WMR support for the Reverb, I would be much more inclined to give one a try.

Steam VR works fine with WMR and Sims.

When Microsoft finally dumps WMR I kinda think that you will not be so happy, lol!  Just kidding and I hope for your sakes this does not happen. At least you'll all still have a nice rtx2080ti to play with.
    If that were to happen, it wouldn't be to dissimilar to the Oculus CV1 becoming a paper weight, just because your usb cable became faulty :p

Techy111 said:
    Do you fly our Flyinsde mate ? Built from the ground up for VR and works a treat with the Reverb ;)

No currently just DCS and IL-2. Both take up plenty of my time lol.
    Don

• Thunderbolt01Thunderbolt01 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Techy111 said:
    The thing I find a tad annoying is when starting any sims with the Reverb and steam VR up and running, Oculus home starts !!! Ideas ?

Yeah got one of those mate and it only starts OH when I start one of my sims.
    Hi I have exactly the same problem and stopping OVRservice in my task manager services tab doesn´t work because when I start the Sim it starts too, If I stop after sim running it shuts down the sim, and that link above about set the oculus-client as Adm does NOT work too, so annoying. Any new idea? Thanks!