Laptop for Oculus Rift — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Laptop for Oculus Rift

wanoennogswanoennogs Posts: 165
Art3mis
This is to the people who are using a Rift with a laptop.  What model laptop are you using?

I want to buy a laptop to use with my Rift but I want to do it as cheaply as possible. I am trying to find the oldest model of laptop that will work with a Rift.

Comments

• sford52sford52 Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    Older Rift CV1 (3 fullsize usb ports and an hdmi port) or newer Rift-S (mini display port) ?

My laptop is listed is in my sig, I have the older CV1
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,356
    Project 2501
    Sorry but there is no such thing as an inexpensive a Rift ready laptop. I would even go so far as to say that there is no such thing as a good gaming laptop.

Imho you will be far better to go for a good desktop gaming pc.  This will be cheaper and upgradable.  If you need a laptop for your home office or school, buy an inexpensive non-VR ready one.

i have been there done that btw.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,413 Volunteer Moderator
    I ever so lightly disagree, my wifes Alienware 15 and a 1060 run my rift without fault, but it was damn pricey 2 years ago (1500 quid) still have it but as @TomCgcmfc says a desktop PC goes that much further for the price.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• wanoennogswanoennogs Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    Techy111 said:
    I ever so lightly disagree, my wifes Alienware 15 and a 1060 run my rift without fault, but it was damn pricey 2 years ago (1500 quid) still have it but as @TomCgcmfc says a desktop PC goes that much further for the price.
    Thanks. Which particular model of alienware is it?
    I want the laptop for the the original Rift CV1.

Art3mis
    I already have a desktop pc. I pre-ordered my CV1. 
    I have the Alienware 15 R3 with an I7 cpu and the 1060 inside.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

And you bought the CV1 and not the Rift S ?

Art3mis
    Techy111 said:
    And you bought the CV1 and not the Rift S ?
    Did you not read my post about pre-ordering CV1? I have had my rift since May 2016.

I am just looking at making my rift portable. 
    Good luck

• OddlyLemmingOddlyLemming Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have a Lenovo Legion Y720 (i7-7700K / 16GB / GTX 1060 6GB), and it runs the Oculus Rift S just fine.  It's getting a little long in the tooth right now so you should be able to pick up a refurbished one quite cheap nowadays.
    Art3mis
    edited October 5
    I thought I bought a laptop capable of running CV1 but now it has arrived I am not sure it can run my Rift. It only has 2 usb ports. The laptop is doing a lot of windows updates at the moment.
    Can somebody please tell me if the laptop I bought can run CV1 

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,356
    Project 2501
    I thought I bought a laptop capable of running CV1 but now it has arrived I am not sure it can run my Rift. It only has 2 usb ports. The laptop is doing a lot of windows updates at the moment.
    Can somebody please tell me if the laptop I bought can run CV1 

You should be fine with this.  Just don't expect miracles.  You will be unable to use highest settings for many VR apps. 

If you look into your specs properly you will see that it also has a couple of usb-c ports that you can use.  You may need a usb-c to usb-a adaptor.  If you actually bid/bought this I would have expected you to already know this, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,520 Volunteer Moderator
    This is to the people who are using a Rift with a laptop.  What model laptop are you using?

I want to buy a laptop to use with my Rift but I want to do it as cheaply as possible. I am trying to find the oldest model of laptop that will work with a Rift.
    At work I still use a Metabox (Clevo) P770ZM. It's got a Geforce 980m and a desktop i7-4790K at 4GHz.
    Not cheap though, it's cost me around $4000au ($2700us).
    I like that it has full size hdmi and display ports, and no Intel GPU to mess things up.

It's about time I upgraded though.