cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 2.0 ?

Dicehunter
Protege
I know the Rift S just came out, I got mine a few days ago and at least to me it's a huge upgrade from the CV1 visually, But as it's only roughly a 50% increase in res, Will we ever see a full on proper Rift 2.0 that has a res of 2880x1700+ with 100+ refresh rate and an FoV higher than 110' ? Or are Oculus/Facebook done with HMD's after the Rift S ?
OR
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Oculus are waiting for this tech to get cheaper to produce so they can still charge £400 for the above specs and still be appealing to the mass market ?
2 REPLIES 2

parsecn
Heroic Explorer
All million dollar questions.

The optimist in me hopes Oculus will address Rift-2 at OC6 in September this year. Speculation can be put to bed one way or the other with a simple announcement, and I'd be fine with their stating they will only support the low-end market. I don't need concrete, hard specs on paper today should a Rift-2 be in the works (I can't even imagine the capital put into their R&D over the past several years, which you'd think they'd want to capitalise on). I'd be happy with, "We're working on something that will blow you away" with a hint to their road-map eg summer 2021 release, etc. 

Conversely, the realist in me has come to only expect disappointment with Oculus since the facebook buy-out, in how they handled the release of Rift-S, the apparent choice to fully abandon CV1 accessories like the proprietary hdmi/hmd cable, and the overall dumbing-down of the ecosystem.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I just checked and OC6 is on my birthday as my birthday is 26th September and OC6 is being held "September 25 & 26 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center in California."

So hopefully this will bring good luck and they will announce good news
  😉

EDIT: Yeah I think they going mass market with £400 mark but hopefully CV2 is high end and cost £600-£800.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!