New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son - 8.5/10 UploadVR - “2019s most surprising VR game”

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
edited September 17 in Games and Apps
It's a puzzle game, also available for PSVR potentially meaning the code is highly optimized and the game does indeed have rather low hardware requirements. Trailer:

Available here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1087500/Groundhog_Day_Like_Father_Like_Son/

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1942845939155229/?locale=en_US

UpLoadVR loved the game:

https://uploadvr.com/groundhog-day-vr-review/
Against all odds, Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son nestles itself neatly amongst the growing number of VR titles that marry compelling, involving narrative with thoughtful interactivity. It’s a game with a welcome amount of heart, refusing to settle for the usual standards of tie-in media. Dare I say it, it’s even a worthy follow-up to a movie you’d have thought best left untouched. Bravo.

Recommended hardware requirements:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 / 970 equivalent or greater
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 10 GB available space
Some pics:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    edited September 17
    BTW, although not officially supported yet, the game works perfectly using the Index - you only miss full finger tracking.

Sources: 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1087500/discussions/0/2952595757895483590/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/d5lx2o/groundhog_day_like_father_like_son_review_8510/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited September 17
    More interesting may be that Sony published this game - but instead of making it an exclusive for PSVR, they chose to share with PCVR. Seems like a nice gesture, now we just need some AstroBot  ;)

Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son” is a VR narrative-driven, adventure-comedy game and a continuation of the beloved movie “Groundhog Day.” Players explore the world created in the film and embark on a new journey to break a time-loop through over 6 hours of puzzles and branching narrative gameplay. “Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son” is published by Sony Pictures Virtual Reality (SPVR), developed by Tequila Works, and produced by SPVR and MWM Immersive. The game is now available on PlayStation VR and other VR platforms
    Maybe it's because the game is based on a movie - Sony Pictures VR have published other games and apps for PCVR all related to a movie:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Sony%20Pictures%20Virtual%20Reality

• parsecnparsecn Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    I owned the film on Laserdisc back in the day. I was home sick from work and started the film, early in the morning. At completion, and probably because I was deliriously sick, I started it again. And again. It really kicks in at the 4th, subsequent viewing :)

This is a must buy for me. Can't wait! Question is, play now or wait until I have an Index in January?
    parsecn said:
    Question is, play now or wait until I have an Index in January?
    You'll be playing Half-Life 3 using your Index in January, don't save Groundhog Day for later  :D

edited September 18
    RoadToVR wasn't that generous:
    https://www.roadtovr.com/groundhog-day-vr-review/

VRFocus - 80%:

"Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son is a lovable VR adventure that doesn’t do any disservice to the original material on which it’s based. There’s quite a bit to do if you look close enough as the title is all about paying attention to your surroundings. As such there can be quite a variance in gameplay time, expect around 6 hours on average, thanks to the different repetition elements – constantly repeating certain mini-games actually makes them easier. With a unique art style and engaging story, Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son offers an unexpectedly enjoyable adventure, and you don’t even need to have seen the film. That being said, it’s time to see if Groundhog Day is online somewhere."

https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/09/review-groundhog-day-like-father-like-son/

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,782 Valuable Player
    parsecn said:
    I owned the film on Laserdisc back in the day. I was home sick from work and started the film, early in the morning. At completion, and probably because I was deliriously sick, I started it again. And again. It really kicks in at the 4th, subsequent viewing :)

This is a must buy for me. Can't wait! Question is, play now or wait until I have an Index in January?
    Laserdisk? That was for rich people back then. :)
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,782 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    parsecn said:
    Question is, play now or wait until I have an Index in January?
    You'll be playing Half-Life 3 using your Index in January, don't save Groundhog Day for later  :D
    It would be great if they release HL3 VR before January but I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't try to boost Index sales by showing us previews. It makes no sense. So, I'm not counting on it. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    The game is today's Daily Deal, get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1942845939155229

edited November 6
    Finally got to try the game, unfortunately I wasn't impressed. Using Rift CV1 ss 2.0 textures looked very low-res and somewhat blurry, felt like I needed to use ss 3.0 in this game, lol. While such low image (Quest-like) quality may work in Job/Vacation Simulator, I still think everything looks much sharper in Job/Vacation Simulator. And teleport was really bad, because you can't just teleport freely, but are locked to certain pre-specified positions - and have to wait for people to stop talking before you even get to teleport. This game would be incredibly much better with free locomotion and proper textures. It feels like the devs used the original PSVR textures - in contrast to Moss, where the devs made the wise choice of making high-res textures for the PCVR version.
    Performance was solid 90 fps - but doesn't save this game for me. This game is a 2/5 (maybe 3/5) in my book, I've asked for a refund.