The best VR games to reduce real-life stress (or just for relaxing) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The best VR games to reduce real-life stress (or just for relaxing)

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,392 Valuable Player
edited September 21 in Games and Apps
Not sure what to call these games, but I'm thinking of games where you can just relax - and where you're like transported to some magical place where there're no time limits, no expectations for you to do anything and close to complete freedom. Oculus and Valve have problems defining these games' genre too - and the genre may be described like:

"Casual, Exploration, Music, Narrative, Puzzle"
"Adventure, Indie, Simulation"
"Adventure, Exploration, Simulation"
"Casual, Simulation"

Maybe something like "Casual, Exploration, Adventure, Simulation"... 

I'm thinking of games like Garden of the Sea - currently 9/10 on Steam:

- and Fujii (9/10 on Steam and in Oculus Store):

- and maybe Luna (8/10 on Steam and 9/10 in the Oculus Store):

Maybe also Vacation Simulator. I'm sure there're many more of such titles, and to me these are special for VR, because you're totally immersed in the world, which would be impossible in any attempt to make a 2D equivalent of such VR games. 

Note that we're talking about games, not apps. There're many apps that may work against stress too, like Nature Treks and Guided Meditation VR, but again these aren't games, but apps (where you just walk around). 

If you know of more games like the above, do mention them here, this thread is for those games! 
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,137 Volunteer Moderator
    is there a game with a ban hammer in it? that would relieve some stress
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,392 Valuable Player
    edited September 21
    Maybe Marvel Powers United, which probably could relieve a lot of stress, but I was hoping to focus on some slightly different games in this thread, lol.

Using Steam you can click a button a see a list of similar games like Garden of the Sea, Fujii etc., but Steam did not come up with more similar games, maybe there're not that many...

Maybe another defining trait of these games is that there's no age restriction, thus these games may be the exact opposite of Hellsplit ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,711 Valuable Player
    This looks relaxing...

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited September 22
    MowTin said:
    This looks relaxing...

Totally forgot about that game - you're absolutely right, it's a great game for relaxing. It's available on both Steam and in the Oculus Store, but for now the DLC is only available for Steam users - taking you to Japan or the Arctic :)

The devs once offered me a free Steam version, because I bought the Oculus version, maybe I should contact them... 

Perfect excursions for a lazy Sunday  o:) And also shows the power of VR once again - because in the real world chances of me sailing a boat in the Arctic or Japan is quite close to zero, but it's close to 100 % in VR  B)

BTW, just bought Regatta again on Steam - it's 50% off on Steam and both DLCs are 75% off - so it's only fair I pay twice for the main game and support the devs. And the game's got full Index support <3  Looking forward to Japan and the Arctic later today!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/468240/VR_Regatta__The_Sailing_Game/

edited September 22
    Also forgot about this one - available in the Oculus Store and on Steam:

The game's got great graphics and full Index support. I've bought the game, but I'm not the biggest fan of fishing, and the exploration aspect of this game isn't big - so you probably have to like going on fishing trips a lot ;)

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    Gorn.
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 220
    Nexus 6
    edited September 22
    I agree Vr Regatta and Catch @ Release are great relaxing games.
    The other one I would recommend would be No Mans Sky, you can do the very loose missions or you can explore, build and just treat it as a massive sandbox, warning though it is a massive time sink :)
    geebee666 said:
    I agree Vr Regatta and catch @ release are great relaxing games.
    The other one I would recommend would be No Mans Sky, you can the very loose missions or you can explore, build and just treat it as a massive sandbox.
    I just tried VR Regatta, Steam version. It worked perfectly using ss 200% on the Index, graphics were great. The lake in Japan was a nice place to sail, didn't get the larger boat going in the Arctic, I'll try again tomorrow, lol. Was annoyed not to find any button for recentering, but I managed to sit on a chair in the real world and turn the chair the right way...

RuneSR2 said:

Fujii is now on sale for just $ 10 - get it here - full Index support, sale ends October 2:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589040/Fujii/

• pjennesspjenness Posts: 679
    Neo
    Im loving Real VR Fishing.    Very simple and relaxing. Catch fish, gain cash and experience..to next level.  Very basic no thinker. 
    You can up the dificulty also by turning off the gui helpers so it gets more challenging and rewarding.

Looking forward to more environemnts

-P
    Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • Buli76Buli76 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    My vote is Tetris Effect. Excelent visuals and relaxing audio.
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/product/tetris-effect/home

Buli76 said:
    My vote is Tetris Effect. Excelent visuals and relaxing audio.
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/product/tetris-effect/home

I'd like to try that game, if it comes to the Oculus Store or Steam.

RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Fujii is now on sale for just $ 10 - get it here - full Index support, sale ends October 2:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589040/Fujii/
    The devs just told me that the PCVR version of Fujii is more advanced than the Quest version:

"hi Rune, the PCVR has a few visual improvements over the Quest version including HDR+Bloom and more "Lushness" in the grass/vegetation rendering."

I did think that the amount of grass etc. seemed impressive for Quest, nice to have that riddle solved, lol ;)

Fujii is still on sale on Steam for a few more days - just $10 - can be refunded if you don't like it! Again the game has full finger tracking Index support and will work perfectly forcing SteamVR 200% res (super sampling) on Rift(-S) and Index if you have a GTX 1080 or better (maybe also GTX 1070 will do to, GTX 1060 should be able to do 150% especially on the Rifts). 

MowTin said:
    This looks relaxing...

VR Regatta is today's Daily Deal - but remember that the DLC (Japan & the Arctic) is only available if you have the Steam version.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1958452074228276

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,356
    Project 2501
    edited October 2
    Best, most relaxing for me is Nature Treks VR.  If you are using a Rift cv1 like me, you are best to add 1.5-2.0 supersampling via OTT or Oculus Debug Tool.
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1241059555937266

Also seems to work very well on the go.  I may buy this for my Go as well.
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1723271804396968

Edit;  Just bought it for my Go and I'll let you all know what I think of it compared to my Rift version.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

edited October 2

Fujii 35% off sale ends in 3 hours - last chance to get it for just 10 bucks in a while... I guess... I think I'll go through the Index Portal later this evening and enjoy some flower power in the Fujii Realm  o:)  ;)

Hmmm, if I didn't know better this game could feel like some sort of casual weed growing simulator for hippies with very long hair :D 

Image result for hippie long hair

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,356
    Project 2501
    edited October 2
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Best, most relaxing for me is Nature Treks VR.  If you are using a Rift cv1 like me, you are best to add 1.5-2.0 supersampling via OTT or Oculus Debug Tool.
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1241059555937266

Also seems to work very well on the go.  I may buy this for my Go as well.
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1723271804396968

Edit;  Just bought it for my Go and I'll let you all know what I think of it compared to my Rift version.

The Go version is crap imho.  Especially with the Go controller.

Edit; I have requested a refund for the Go version and will just stick with using it on my Rift cv1 for now.  It should be interesting to see how it plays with my (preordered) Vive Cosmos w/revive.  I'll let you all know soon.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.