cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we elect moderators ??

MannyLectro
Explorer
Seriously... One admin for such a huge forum is not enough.
Many people in this community would love to be moderators, and for free !
Do something before we get crushed under spam...
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
77 REPLIES 77

PatimPatam
Protege
Totally agree. On the weekend rampant trolling flying around, yesterday what seemed like a DDOS attack, today "love solution" spam everywhere...

Not sure an election is necessary though; Oculus could simply ask for volunteers and pick 2 or 3 people that they trust from the list (preferably from different time zones).

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Often times the people who want to be moderators aren't the right people to do the moderating.

If moderators can be elected, they should also be able to be removed if they do a bad job.

No one can elect a moderator because no one has stepped forward and offered to moderate this forum.

Facebook can afford to pay moderators.

The only people from this community who I think would be good moderators are developers. And they don't need to be distracted by all the random crap that goes on here. They need to finish their thing.

This forum might get too big for just cyber, especially when the DK2s start shipping. Dycus and other blue people probably need to get active here again.

edit: Some type of system where members can vote and have bad posts buried would be good too.

MannyLectro
Explorer
Well this doesn't have to be an election, but we need more moderation.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

ThreeEyes
Explorer
I bet Oculus sees the need for more moderation as well. They are just in those odd teenage years as they grow up and aren't quite fleshed out completely yet and are probably quite busy trying to bring these things to market. The thing with the kid last weekend who was spamming up the boards doesn't look good for oculus besides being annoying for the rest of us. But he's now gone now and so are his posts. I agree those who want the job probably aren't the best candidates but also think a firm hand will keep things in line. I bet things settle down now.

Also, the "foe" option really does make things more pleasant. It helps remove temptation to feed the trolls and escalate confrontations here while cutting the noise in the threads to a single line letting you know a post is there and giving you the option to view it if you want. Anyone who doesn't know about it of hasn't used it, it's available if you view the profiles of the people who bug you.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

densohax
Explorer
Yes please, we need moderation, the amount of unnecessary posting and walls of text is simply intolerable.

geekmaster
Protege
cybereality and Dycus surely have other work tasks besides moderating us here.

Palmer just told me we do not need community moderators, so we must make the best of this situation ourselves. EDIT: Oops! I oversimplified. Palmer actually said "I have run large forums before, and bringing in community moderators outside the circle of trust rarely makes sense."

I will try to do my part, though ignoring (personally perceived) attacks on my own personally integrity, and that of my friends, is almost intolerable for me...

But I will resolutely try much harder, like my so-far successful hard preparation for my next 60 years (I have lost more than 20 lbs since GDC, and I shaved my beard, so folks may not recognize me at SIGGRAPH or other conventions)...

@densohax: Famous well-known leaders in aspie studies say it is much better to explain yourself and why you interpret meaning and post the way you do, to those in your audience, than to try to wastefully emulate neurotypical behavior, which is WHY I have posted what I did about my self and my special (and valuable) ways. The world of the future need solutions from outside know boundaries, so we can all contribute equally to our VR cause, to make the world a better place. I think that "New-Sapiens pledge of allegience" image I posted (read and assimilate the words) sums it up pretty nicely... I wish you and yours the best of times ahead -- enjoy teaching a newborn to open their mind to the bigger world around them...

densohax
Explorer
"geekmaster" wrote:

Palmer just told me we do not need community moderators, so we must make the best of this situation ourselves. I will try to do my part, though ignoring (personally perceived) attacks on my own personally integrity, and that of my friends, is almost intolerable for me...

But I will resolutely try much harder, like my so-far successful hard preparation for my next 60 years (I have lost more than 20 lbs since GDC, and I shaved my beard, so folks may not recognize me at SIGGRAPH or other conventions)...

?

You take attacks where there are none. I don't do personal favors as well, I'm just saying that this forum is public and it's not about you or anybody, it's about oculus. So why do you try to push your own personal agenda in every topic?

If you had a forum, I'm sure you'd understand.

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
"geekmaster" wrote:

Palmer just told me we do not need community moderators, so we must make the best of this situation ourselves. I will try to do my part, though ignoring (personally perceived) attacks on my own personally integrity, and that of my friends, is almost intolerable for me...

Doing your part? By responding to the trolls and clogging up the threads? That's not helpful, and that goes to everyone responding to them. Report the thread. Avoid the troll. Move on.

geekmaster
Protege
"densohax" wrote:
So why do you try to push your own personal agenda in every topic?

My "personal agenda" is to make the world a better place, as I often end my posts here and in other forums. What can you find wrong with that, my friend?