New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

really?

donkeyc0ckdonkeyc0ck Posts: 6
NerveGear
You don't have to look far to find an annoyed community of new rift S owners. No real news of any upgrades or accessories for the rift S, plenty of people saying its dead because oculus are concentrating on the quest and its new link cable. Some people are even saying that the visuals are going to be better on the quest due to its higher res(even though i don't believe that myself). How can a 2019 headset be dead already? Is this really the truth?

Comments

• donkeyc0ckdonkeyc0ck Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Nice reply! yes, it will be interesting to see, I am happy with mine, just disappointed to see what is happening! Cant wait to see some side by side reviews once the cable is out!
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 308
    Trinity
    I love my Rift S, great upgrade form CV1. Yes, the tethered Quest is likely to be lower detailed visually. Higher res on paper but oled versus higher pixel density RGB stripe of the S.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,354 Valuable Player
    Like I've mentioned in another thread or two (both here and elsewhere) I'm happy with my Rift S for one main reason - the headstrap. I simply can't live without it now. The eye relief alone is going to save me a good chunk of change every year because I won't need to keep getting prescription lenses for the thing.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,880 Valuable Player
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, there's always something new around the corner. Oculus hasn't said Rift-S is no longer for sale, and with 80 Hz, 5 cameras, lcd subpixels there's no reason - for now - not to simply enjoy the Rift-S if you have one. SDE and no hmd fan also are arguments for Rift-S compared to Quest, and who cares about being able to play GearVR-like games untethered ;-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,183 Valuable Player
    Yeah I don't see me abandoning my Rift S anytime soon.
    Just received a Quest and if I can ever get through it updating the software I hope to have a go with it.
    Seems to be stuck at about 95% ugh.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,880 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Just received a Quest and if I can ever get through it updating the software I hope to have a go with it.

Would love to read a (short) review especially concerning res, colors, black levels, SDE and tracking - compared to Rift-S. Also if you can hear the fan when the heat is on ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,560 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2019
    It looks suspiciously likely that those 'annoyed communuty' examples are all tech journalist articles so the object of the exercise would be to make a headline.

Just like the peopke here who've bought the Rift-S, after having a CV1 I don't regret it either and I also have the Quest. I think the Rift-S users are the community that matters and therefore the voices to take notice of tbh rather than journos or those who seem to be looking for an 'i told you so' moment.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,036 Valuable Player
    I don't think its said enough - so I will say it. Congratulations to OculusVR and Lenovo for being able to come up with a compromise design that has made many ex-CV1 owners happily migrate to the new platform. I think the work that OculusVR Texas did on improve the tracking and also the new add-on's in the wings of hand tracking and pass-through will make this a valuable addition to the family. I however feel that the direction for the company now will be more on a Standalone tack, but this dose not stop their investment in (non-high-end) PC VR.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    NerveGear
    edited September 2019
    snowdog said:
    Like I've mentioned in another thread or two (both here and elsewhere) I'm happy with my Rift S for one main reason - the headstrap. I simply can't live without it now. The eye relief alone is going to save me a good chunk of change every year because I won't need to keep getting prescription lenses for the thing.  

^^^^  The quest is getting a halo upgrade.

NerveGear
    I do really like my S, i really can't see the tethered quest being the same experience, I guess we will find out soon enough!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,183 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:

Would love to read a (short) review especially concerning res, colors, black levels, SDE and tracking - compared to Rift-S. Also if you can hear the fan when the heat is on ;)
    Will do, got it all set up now and charging.
    May be a bit, apparently none of the games I have are cross playable , will try and report back soon.
    Just have to figure out what to get.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,254 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2019
    dburne said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:

Will do, got it all set up now and charging.
    May be a bit, apparently none of the games I have are cross playable , will try and report back soon.
    Just have to figure out what to get.
    Beat Saber, SuperHot, and Red Matter are good experiences, but if you’re not sure you want to buy in, there’s always free stuff like Rec Room, First Contact, the new intro demo, and the five game demos (Space PirateTrainer, Creed, Beat Saber, Journey of the Gods, and Sports Scramble). 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    I do really like my S, i really can't see the tethered quest being the same experience, I guess we will find out soon enough!

I agree and I think you're the best judge of how enjoyable an experience it is

It may be that a Quest in PC linked mode is great, and for me, that would be a cause for celebration. I'm totally prepared for people to choose the negative alternative stance of knocking the Rift-S though, that's how things are.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:

The screen's the same as the Go, and I can tell you the Quest's OLED is a big improvement over the Go's LCD. Deeper blacks and more vibrant colours. SDE on the Quest is slightly more noticeable, but only if you're looking for it.

One thing not mentioned when talking about the picture quality of the Quest through the Link cable...the signal's compressed, and it's using a fixed foveated render, just like the Quest normally uses. The center of that vision's supposed to be clear, with faded quality to the peripheral view. And it's still only 72Hz, compared to the Rift-S' 80Hz. As for Oculus dropping support for an hmd they just released...just because Oculus didn't showcase anything for the pcvr doesn't mean they're dropping the Rift-S already...this was mainly geared towards the Quest. They could make quieter releases for the Rift-S, not necessarily announced on a huge stage, but through blogs. CES is in January...maybe they plan on more Rift-S stuffs for that conference. All these people saying the Rift-S is dead, yet the thing will still work this time next year. Even if they kept the Rift-S line, they wouldn't be releasing a new S version for another few years anyway. Not sure what everyone's complaining about.
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    You don't have to look far to find an annoyed community of new rift S owners. No real news of any upgrades or accessories for the rift S, plenty of people saying its dead because oculus are concentrating on the quest and its new link cable. Some people are even saying that the visuals are going to be better on the quest due to its higher res(even though i don't believe that myself). How can a 2019 headset be dead already? Is this really the truth?

Are you rebel rousing?
    Why? NOTHING is confirmed or set in stone for the Rift S. calm down.
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist

I agree and I think you're the best judge of how enjoyable an experience it is

It may be that a Quest in PC linked mode is great, and for me, that would be a cause for celebration. I'm totally prepared for people to choose the negative alternative stance of knocking the Rift-S though, that's how things are.

You noticed that too?
    Contrarians for the sake of...who knows?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,617 Valuable Player
    edited September 2019
    I love how everyone is freaking out over Quest and Rift S. I have the Quest simply because I skip over Rift S side grade instead of an real upgrade. If Oculus sees that as Quest being more popluare - I think they have an issues and slowly disconnecting to the community just a bit. On the other hand - there are some major reasons to get the Rift S over the Quest. Simply - one key issue - there are more cameras on the Rift S than there are on Quest. The Quest loses tracking far more than I saw with the Rift S making some games fun and others leaving me a feeling it needed more from the unit.

Then there is the compression that has to happen over the link it self - meaning you wont get 100% of what the PC can do without lose of some screen clarity on the images. I'm sure they are working on this and can improve it even a bit more over time - but it'll always be there making the Rift S still a better options for PCVR even if by a little.

But with that said - it doesn't leave a lot of a difference now that Quest can work from the computer so this does leave a question for future PCVR headsets. I think that is the fear now when they already came out and said no market above 400 - this is what a middle ground headset would've created if it happen last year or this. Unless they make it a really clear difference (stop with the price limit BS) and allow PCVR to flex a little - then any hybrids will cause problems in any line up.

As far as hand tracking bla bla bla - that going to be such a small upgrade that it be almost pointless for Rift S - not that I don't think they are working on it for PCVR - but it really doesn't offer much until it can be a bit more stable. More or less - it's useful for standalone that might not have their controllers (like on a buss) that want to still watch a movie. Short of that - it loses tracking for any fast/challenging games that we are use to on PCVR. 
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    It's going to be interesting. I have no clue what will happen until the reviews stream in. I will pay more attention to the reviews to judge 100% when the oculus quest cable comes out in January. In November only the link app will be out. The community will have to figure what cable works best until then. If I didn't own both headsets and the link review was good  and even if the experience wasn't as good but was close I would buy the quest only. Many people who already bought both would have held off if it was announced  this was going to happen. I dont blame anyone that feels betrayed by oculus for not anouncing  this to begin with. It was a little underhanded of them. But I could understand their thinking. If it was announced would that have greatly reduced the rift s sales?  Maybe. 
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 482
    Trinity
    edited September 2019
    inovator said:
    It's going to be interesting. I have no clue what will happen until the reviews stream in. I will pay more attention to the reviews to judge 100% when the oculus quest cable comes out in January. In November only the link app will be out. The community will have to figure what cable works best until then. If I didn't own both headsets and the link review was good  and even if the experience wasn't as good but was close I would buy the quest only. Many people who already bought both would have held off if it was announced  this was going to happen. I dont blame anyone that feels betrayed by oculus for not anouncing  this to begin with. It was a little underhanded of them. But I could understand their thinking. If it was announced would that have greatly reduced the rift s sales?  Maybe. 
    Yup.
    Oculus has stated Rift S will still deliver the better PCVR experience, there's many Link hands on impressions that back this up. But it sounds like it's marginal. So if the Quest can deliver 80% of what Rift S delivers, then most will probably opt for Quest as it'll be "good enough".

Rift S should get a price decrease to reflect the increased value of the Quest. Cut Rift S to $349 (preferable $299) and I think it's back in the ballgame (since Quest+Link will be $399 + $80).  If they don't and leave Rift S at $399, then it seems like they're setting the Rift platform up to fail, and will use it as an easy excuse to discontinue the Rift.

Or, perhaps since Oculus is back to pushing bleeding edge tech, maybe look into a wireless device for the Rift S.  A Wireless addon for $99-$149 for the Rift S would probably put the Rift S back as the best value goto PCVR device. Carmack stated he eventually wants to make the Quest Link a wireless device (maybe with Quest 2 ?), so perhaps do that initial product research on the Rift S.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Sorry @ShocksVR - have learnt over the years not to try and read too much ahead of an actual OculusVR announcement. The old "counting your chickens" adage is prime here. Especially on price drops and release windows. Sounds more like wish-fulfillment than any actual proven evidence. Always nice to dream, and the Rift-S community needs to feel they are not forgotten I guess. Lets hope they get the hand tracking.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
     Jo
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    I was wondering what was taking the crybaby onslaught, but if it's all on Reddit and Faceplant, that would be why I haven't seen it. Those who bought the S are still getting exactly what they've come to expect and paid for. They're just mad because Faceplant didn't tell them about the link before they bought a Rift S. It has been 6 months 'n all. I don't use Ebay either. I'm guessing we are going to see a bunch of S's on there soon if not already.
    It seems to be the people who haven't bought the S that are making the noise! I'm not seeing much complaining by Rift-S owners here because they're like me and know how good it is. That's why I don't understand why people are using the link as an excuseto knock it. It seems to go back to this thing about oculus not proding a high-end headset that they wanted... then they think this is a great opportunity to say 'look I told you so' or something.
    I am not sure this is  correct metric @DaftnDirect - the reality is that the early buyers that were not happy returned or sold their Rift-S' - those owners that were happy are not vocal, but that is usually the way. Those that decided against Rift-S can now underline their objections. We can not hide the fact that the system has proven to split opinions greatly, when we even see the ex-executives making critical critiques of the system. 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **

I'm just going by the people who have been vocal in this forum, I know a couple posters who've returned their Rift-S because of faults who've been vocal but not many that have been vocal after returning because they just didn't like it.

But there are definitely a lot of people being vocal who didn't buy it. I may be very wrong here (it wouldn't be the first time) but that's how it seems to be going through each post.

Okay, see the point you are making @DaftnDirect - to be frank I dont really see the passion from the users to enter into discourse (either they are happy, or moved on). We have seen a drop of posters here who just felt the confrontational arena that had been created was not their thing. I suppose we could head for the dreaded "...if you have the hardware you can comment" days again - though previous moderators banned that approach as being counter to the style of this forum. All that said, I do expect the shape of this forum to change soon, if the comments about "restructuring" mentioned at OC6 are true.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **