New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus link

RonEyalRonEyal Posts: 26
Brain Burst
I have now the oculus rift cv1 and I want to upgrade to the oculus quest because of the new link feature, my question is which cable should I use for it because I don’t have usb type c in my pc but I do have usb 3 so can I use a usb type c to usb 3 or I can’t use it at all and I don’t want the rift s because I love OLED screen

Comments

• hcentenohcenteno Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    First, I just would like to make sure you are aware that the Link functionality is not yet enabled. It was announced that it will be released in beta form in November. Second, the USB 3 standard uses different kinds of connectors. Desktop computers usually have type A, which is the rectangular one and usually is blue in colour. Type C is the small rounded rectangular one that phones and the Quest has. They are all USB 3, it's just different physical connector. This means that as long as your computer has USB 3 ports (which I assume it should since you have been using the Oculus CV1), regardless of if the connector is type A or C, you should be fine and Link should work.

As for the cable, Oculus said their own cable would be the best for performance (it will use a fiber optic between the device and the computer) and that it will go up for sale "later this year". In the meantime you could use a regular USB 3 cable but you might get data transmission issues depending on quality and length (possibly manifesting as dropped frames, lag, pixelation or whatever Oculus decides to show you when the data is not being transferred fast enough). If you want to purchase a USB 3 cable then in your case you will likely need one that has type C on one end and type A on the other so you can plug it to your desktop.

Cheers!

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    They've said it should work with a USB 3.0 A to C cable.

I expect that a USB A to C adapter should also work (although that hasn't been officially tested and confirmed), and would allow you to use the official Oculus Link cable plugged into a USB 3.0 A-type port on your computer
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Kranky_PantzKranky_Pantz Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Aren't native USB type-C to USB type-C cables actually a bit faster than USB 3.0 type-A to USB type-C conversion cables?

I thought the whole point of a USB type-C cable (at both ends) was faster data & charging rates.

Come November I'll be testing both out during the beta phase, and then possibly upgrade to the Oculus Link cable if the PC feature looks promising and performs well.
    USB C is just the connector type. The speed is defined by the protocol, which in this case is USB 3.0, because that's what the Quest is limited to. (They're not even maxing out USB 3.0, because the Quest's decoder can only handle 150 Mbps.)

USB C is more commonly used in the newer USB 3.1 and USB PD specifications, which do allow for higher speed and more power, but that doesn't apply to Oculus Link.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,530 Volunteer Moderator
    Aren't native USB type-C to USB type-C cables actually a bit faster than USB 3.0 type-A to USB type-C conversion cables?
    It depends on the cable. USB-C to USB-C can be USB 2.0, which is massively slower than a USB 3.0 A to C cable.
    The current Quest charging cable is an example of this, it can only handle USB 2.0 speeds even though it is USB-C on both ends.
  • RonEyalRonEyal Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited October 1
    if I don’t have usb type c connection in my pc but I do have a usb 3 A , 
    So does a Usb type c to usb 3 A will work as good as my oculus rift cv1?
  • Kranky_PantzKranky_Pantz Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the clarification folks.

That also explains why Oculus has stated that the included USB-C cable will not be suitable since it is only capable of supporting USB 2.0 data speeds.
    I'm hoping that the USB-C port with a bracket I've ordered for my mobo also comes in handy for the Link cable, as I have a USB-C connector on my Gigabyte Aorus Elite mobo which is currently sitting there unused.

Luckily I have several different USB 3.0 type-A to USB-C cables on hand to test things out with using standard USB 3.0 ports during the beta phase.
    I'm hoping that my magnetic one works, as better safe than sorry with that fragile USB-C port on the Quest.

For standard cables,I guess we'd better start 3D printing some cable-clips as a safety measure.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 641
    Neo
    Thanks for the clarification folks.

That also explains why Oculus has stated that the included USB-C cable will not be suitable since it is only capable of supporting USB 2.0 data speeds.
    I'm hoping that the USB-C port with a bracket I've ordered for my mobo also comes in handy for the Link cable, as I have a USB-C connector on my Gigabyte Aorus Elite mobo which is currently sitting there unused.

Luckily I have several different USB 3.0 type-A to USB-C cables on hand to test things out with using standard USB 3.0 ports during the beta phase.
    I'm hoping that my magnetic one works, as better safe than sorry with that fragile USB-C port on the Quest.

For standard cables,I guess we'd better start 3D printing some cable-clips as a safety measure.

USB 2.0 has a maximum 480 megabits per second (480 Mb/s), while the Quest's internal chip is limited to only 150 megabits per second (150 Mb/s).
  • janhercajanherca Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    I'm curious about if Quest could someday have a direct connector to HDMI as Rift or there is any limitation that implies the use of USB cables. Anybody know what is the reason for this? A Quest that could be connected to a PC through HDMI I suppose wouldn't need the extra delay time compressing data that now Quest is going to require with Link.
    For the current Quest it's a limitation of the SoC they're using. I believe that later SnapDragon models may be able to take a direct video feed. On the other hand, their current course of development may be very useful for future innovation. They've got the latency pretty low, and it sounds like Carmack believes that it can be further improved. Having their own high-efficiency encoding/streaming process may pave the way for high quality wireless PCVR, and could eliminate the issues with trying to get direct GPU feed out of many laptops.
  • MrWaverlyMrWaverly Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the Quest but no PC. Any recommendations on what 1080 gaming computer would be good to use the link with?
  • mtgear1223mtgear1223 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello Kranky_Pantz, Based on this message are you saying that I can or cannot use my Oculus Quest charger as a Link?
    Hello Kranky_Pantz, Based on this message are you saying that I can or cannot use my Oculus Quest charger as a Link?
    That’s right, the charger cable is only USB 2.0, and won’t work for Oculus Link. 
  • vargabloodvargablood Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited October 11
    Spuzzum said:
    USB 2.0 has a maximum 480 megabits per second (480 Mb/s), while the Quest's internal chip is limited to only 150 megabits per second (150 Mb/s).

My Mac is reporting 5Gbit connection to quest if iam using hq thunderbolt 3 cabling. Even 150mbit or 15mb/s woulnt be enough for a compressed stream for both displays in my opinion.
  • teastonteaston Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:
    That’s right, the charger cable is only USB 2.0, and won’t work for Oculus Link. 
    Definitely, the charger cable barely even works with sidequest!
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 641
    Neo
    edited October 11
    Spuzzum said:

My Mac is reporting 5Gbit connection to quest if iam using hq thunderbolt 3 cabling. Even 150mbit or 15mb/s woulnt be enough for a compressed stream for both displays in my opinion.
    There's 8 bits to a byte, so 150 megabits (Mb) is only 18.75 megabytes (MB). A 4K video, 3840x2160 @ 60 fps from Netflix is only 128 megabits per second (Mb/s). The Quest is 2880x1600...slightly under 3K @ 2880x1620 @ 72 fps. On top of that, the image gets reduced to the Rift-S's resolution of only 2560x1440. There's more than enough room.
  • iNIKELiNIKEL Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited October 12
    First I wanted to buy Quest as my first VR but now.. I cant decide. Honestly I don't think oculus link will be that good. Probably it wont let playing games with small details like simulators, latency sensitive games and games with high quality graphics due to low bandwidth and extra amount of PC power used for video encoding and transferring and not everyone have 2080ti to render game in high res and then encode it..
    So what’s the point of link?
    Brain Burst
    iNIKEL said:
    First I wanted to buy Quest as my first VR but now.. I cant decide. Honestly I don't think oculus link will be that good. Probably it wont let playing games with small details like simulators, latency sensitive games and games with high quality graphics due to low bandwidth and extra amount of PC power used for video encoding and transferring and not everyone have 2080ti to render game in high res and then encode it..
    So what’s the point of link?
    Streaming Steam VR games on Virtual Desktop over wifi works great for me, so USB 3 should be absolutely perfect!
  • iNIKELiNIKEL Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited October 12
    Did you try beat saber? Not the most important VR experience imho but PC version have custom tracks. And what GPU do you have?
    Brain Burst
    iNIKEL said:
    Did you try beat saber? Not the most important VR experience imho but PC version have custom tracks. And what GPU do you have?
    I haven’t tried beat saber, tried Pcars2, superhot & creed though. Mine’s a 1080ti