New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 9.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 118 Oculus Staff
edited October 16 in Oculus Quest
Passthrough+
  • We’ve upgraded the previous version of Passthrough on Quest to Passthrough+.
  • This updated version of Passthrough improves the representation of the real world around you by enhancing estimations of the depth, size and distance of objects in your real world environment.
Tracking
  • We know that many Quest owners use their headset to watch their favorite streams, shows, movies and more. To make this easier, you now have the option to turn off Quest's standard inside-out tracking when you don't need it, like for watching movies in the dark or dimly-lit rooms.
  • Tracking adjustments can be made in one of two ways:
    • If tracking is unable to function in your environment, an error message will provide an option to continue without tracking.
    • You can also manually turn off tracking by selecting Settings > Device > Tracking and switch the toggle to turn tracking off.
  • Remember that Guardian boundaries—and some apps—require tracking. Neither will work if tracking is off. To help avoid injury or damage, you should only use your Quest in a stationary standing or seated position when tracking is turned off.
Compatible Go/Gear VR apps for Quest
  • If you own one of 50+ compatible Oculus Go or Gear VR apps, you’ll now have the opportunity to download them from your library and play them on your Oculus Quest.
  • Learn more about how this program works and what apps are available for Quest.
Notifications
  • You can now adjust and customize your notification preferences from in-VR.
    • To access your notification settings in-VR, select Settings > Notifications and adjust the toggles to reflect your settings preferences for each notification type.
Manual Updates
  • You can now manually start an over the air (OTA) software update from your settings panel in-VR. This feature allows you to check for and begin software updates at any time once the update is made available for your headset.
    • To check for updates, select Settings > About > Software Update.
Remote Wipe
  • You can now perform a remote wipe from https://www.oculus.com on a Quest headset you no longer have direct access to.
    • Learn more about how to remote wipe on an Oculus Quest.
New Experiments
This section includes new features we’re testing for future releases. You can opt-in to experimental features by selecting Settings > Experiments in-VR. Please note, the experiments section includes features that are still being developed, and so you may encounter anything from minor-issues to app-crashes.
  • We’ve added People You May Know suggestions to your Quest in-VR feed. People You May Know is a feature designed to help you connect with people you may know who are also using Oculus.
    • These are the same suggestions you may have seen in the Oculus mobile and desktop apps, now available as part of the in-VR experience.
  • On Quest, you can now see when your friends beat your high score in games like Beat Saber. You’ll be able to see these updates in the Oculus mobile app, as well as in-VR.
Payments Miscellaneous
  • Performance improvements when running some applications

Comments

• h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hopefully the Blackouts (becoming black for a second) sometimes occurs with the tracking is fixed with 9.0. Can't wait to check this out! 
  • xeno3dxeno3d Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    What's the actual build number for this update?
  • BudapestiBudapesti Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Manual updates!
    At last.
    Thank you!
    Hiro Protagonist
    I got the update but I don't see everything listed in the update above?
  • OttersGonnaOttOttersGonnaOtt Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Not all changes are listed.  The battery counts for the controllers are now colored pill-bars like on the desktop Rift dash, for instance.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm not seeing any software update option in settings at all
  • J_ShepzJ_Shepz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks for adding manual updates, glad this will be the last time having to wait for it (hopefully?) haha!
  • kevinwarhaftkevinwarhaft Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    thanks for the update
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can't wait to get it... especially because of the Go apps and the 3DoF mode to watch movies :-) 
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 118 Oculus Start Member
    edited October 2
    @ShowbizDonkey My Quest updated to 9.0 Its visible in Windows explorer. But, its not detected anymore with adb devices so I can't deploy any UE builds now. Already restarted the Quest and Windows.

It was in developer mode. Developer mode on the Quest shows the guardian option but nothing else.
    I checked on the Phone that I used to initially setup the Quest and there its not. Switching to dev mode on the phone creates a popup 'become a developer' and if I follow that link its a broken page.

Any suggestions?

Edit: a few hours later I can enable it on the Phone again and the Quest is detected by ADB. No clue whats changed but happy I can get back to work again in UE.

• ChannLeeChannLee Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Here in EU no patch arrived ? when its come to EU ?
  • imrosie1imrosie1 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    anyone in the UK got it yet? thanks.

• anthonshanthonsh Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Canada?  Why do these rollouts always seem to take 3-5 days?
  • JohanTEAJohanTEA Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2
    anthonsh said:
    I even made a factory reset just now (2.nd okt.) but still got 8.0. #Europe #Sweden
  • IamGaryGnuIamGaryGnu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Why the urgency for the update?  It doesn't seem like it makes major changes (except maybe passthrough, and Go games) and runs the risk of being an update you may regret, like Verizon used to do.  Me, I'll use my baby, and when it updates, it updates...
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 701
    Neo
    For developers its always good to have access to the OS updates so we can be sure nothing is broken on our live titles, so urgency is important for some so the rest can enjoy :)
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 641
    Neo
    JohanTEA said:
    anthonsh said:
    I even made a factory reset just now (2.nd okt.) but still got 8.0. #Europe #Sweden

I think they do it regionally, or it would overload their severs if a few hundred thousand people all of a sudden tried to download the update.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is it normal for the update to wiipeout sideloads?
  • ThatDudeButchThatDudeButch Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    h.r.gargi said:
    Hopefully the Blackouts (becoming black for a second) sometimes occurs with the tracking is fixed with 9.0. Can't wait to check this out! 
    I am still getting the blackouts. Drives me crazy!
  • dancingfeetdancingfeet Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    How do I get the percentages back for the controller battery level?  The green bars are much less useful.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    How do I get the percentages back for the controller battery level?  The green bars are much less useful.
    People prefer percentages because it seems like you’re getting more information, but with batteries, it’s often a case of false precision. All they can really read is the battery’s output voltage, and good quality batteries aim to provide a consistent voltage over most of their lifespan. As a result, they really can’t read the remaining charge with the accuracy that percentages imply. I know my batteries generally show 80% when they’re freshly charged, drop to 60% after one or two uses, then stay there for a few weeks before dropping off further. That could be conveyed equally well with a bar that has a few increments. 

For the headset, they can use additional information (like time in use) to make a better estimate, since it’s their own battery and they know its properties. For the controllers however, the bars are probably a better representation of the actual accuracy of the reading. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • ArnookieArnookie Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Can't wait I need this update. 
  • kevinwarhaftkevinwarhaft Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    i got the verson 9.0 but did not get manual update on my oculus go 
  • FancyFryFancyFry Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Build 16500 was installed last night. But the manual updating option is not under settings/about. Where can I find it?
  • PhenixS1970PhenixS1970 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Eager to read some feedback on Beatsaber performance.  In Belgium the update hasn't been pushed to Quest yet.
  • furtinfurtin Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I love you, Oculus Quest developers! I really do. The Quest is getting better and better each month.

Now all we need is full fledged games instead of those short teasers and the world will go VR!
    "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
  • zlotea.daniel.90zlotea.daniel.90 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Did someone in the EU get it? #EU #GERMANY
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 3
    Was hoping I’d have it this morning, but nothing yet. By the way, although the updates do roll out in waves over a few days, I don’t think it has ever been confirmed to be region-based. It may well be totally random. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • syfridasyfrida Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hi,

Has anybody else had problems since 9.0 update? My Quest worked for about one hour  after I got the update and after that my device didn't load store or library anymore. And after about 20 seconds I got message systemux has stopped working and everything went black. I managed to reboot and the new device intro started to play. When I got the home screen, there was just empty room. No panels (home or store...). And after a while that same systemux messsage and black.

Factory reset was the only thing that worked and now I am back to firmwire ver. 8.
  • cercatacercata Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    i got the verson 9.0 but did not get manual update on my oculus go 
    Me neither, on Quest, may it's from the Phone ?