Google Earth: Constantly night in Antarctica — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Google Earth: Constantly night in Antarctica

Lalle75Lalle75 Posts: 12
NerveGear
I want to take a flight over Antarctica. But the suns ecliptic sets the view to constant night (midsummer night).
Did anyone ever manage to disable the sun and enable a constant light intensity?
Tagged:

Comments

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 553
    Neo
    Can't you just drag the sky into daylight?
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    OmegaM4N said:
    Can't you just drag the sky into daylight?

Day/Night has little effect close to the poles. You need to change Summer/Winter.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,137 Volunteer Moderator

Richooal said:
    Day/Night has little effect close to the poles. You need to change Summer/Winter.
    Can you change the time of year in Google Earth VR? I'm away from my PC so can't check. It would be good if it showed an accurate sun position as I think summer starts in the Antarctic this month so the Op would only have to wait a few days to get a daytime view.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    edited October 3
    It looks like you can't change the time of year or turn off the ability to drag the sun.
    In the original desk top Google Earth the sunlight is constant by default but allows you to drag a slider to change the time of day.
    So at this point in time, if you want to look at Antarctica in full daylight, you need to use the 2D Google Earth.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS