My second CV1 (1st replaced under warranty) has now developed the same issue with the left speaker not working, so yesterday I decided pretty much on impulse to buy a Rift S from the Amazon Australia store as it was Aussie $630 with free 2 days shipping which looked to be a good price. I only use VR for sim racing but I will certainly appreciate the increase in visual clarity and the added comfort of the new halo head-strap.
I have done some research and watched a few Youtube vids, but most are quite old now and I still have a few questions about the Rift S that I could not find definitive answers for in the limited time I have between work and family. In anticipation I am hoping you guys here, with lots of good knowledge, can fill in some gaps for me.
1. Should I uninstall my current Oculus software and then reinstall after swapping out the CV1 for the Rift S ? Or is that all handled automatically, no chance of problems that may be avoided with a full fresh install ?
2. Has the issue where users were seeing white static or noise on their Rift S screen during games been solved or fully fixed yet ?
3. Did the Rift S eventually get the update spoken about, to increase the range and bass levels on the inbuilt speakers ? Or are they still the same with no improvement ? I have a pair of Hyper X Cloud 2's which a user on Reddit says fit comfortably over the Rift S, so I can use them if needed.
4. Can I or will I ever be able to use the CV1 sensors, so that I can race at night ? If not, would a small LED light near my monitor screen be enough for a seated driving experience in a mostly dark room ? Have others encountered similar scenario and have a solution short of turning on a ceiling light ?
5. Regarding the cloth and foam covering around face and head of the Rift S, would it be ok to use Scotchguard to treat those areas and waterproof them ? Scotchguard works really well on carpet and fabrics to seal and protect them making them easy to clean with a damp cloth. I am guessing the VRcovers for the CV1 do not fit Rift S in any possible way ?
6. If I have issues do I still go through Oculus support or do I now have to deal directly with Amazon Australia ?
Thanks for any answers and I appreciate any other advice about problems or issues I should anticipate or plan for that may keep the new install as easy as possible.
Thanks & Cheers 🍻 Mark Blanes