New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.42 PTC Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 118 Oculus Staff
edited October 16 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Dash
  • We have added a new search feature within the Dash Store tab. This will allow you to more quickly find the games and apps you’re looking for!
Home
  • When you drop into Home for the first time, you’ll now see a new brief overview of the features and potential of Oculus Home.
  • We added a new toggle for automatically launching Home. Switching this setting off will stop Home from auto-launching in scenarios like jumping into VR and exiting out of apps. You can find this option within the Settings > General menu inside Oculus desktop app.
  • We have added a new agreement to the UGC upload process. Before a new UGC item can be uploaded for use, you are required to attest that you own this content and that it does not violate any trademarks.
---

Once again, apologies for the delay in getting these posted! If you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!

Comments

• Darkness_Fills_YouDarkness_Fills_You Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Sorry to interupt but when i updated my oculus app it said that i need windows 10... I am running on windows 10...
  • cercatacercata Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited October 3
    Aleluyah !!!! Optional Home Launch !!!!!

I'll no longer be a Homeless and I'll start using HOME :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,711 Valuable Player
    Yay - new Optional Home Launch setting will be great, also will appreciate the new search feature in the Store.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,369
    Project 2501
    Wow, 1.42 ptc seems fantastic so far.  Fixed the issue I was having with pressing dash buttons with final 1.41.  Plus the bonus of finally being able to go homeless!  You just need to go to the Oculus App/settings/general  and the setting switch for this is on the bottom of that pane.  Seems to halve my cpu/gpu % usages compared to even a pretty bare Oculus Home.  Probably not a lot of difference once you are actually running a game though.  Nice one Oculus, thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,144
    Wintermute
    edited October 3
    Home
    • We added a new toggle for automatically launching Home. Switching this setting off will stop Home from auto-launching in scenarios like jumping into VR and exiting out of apps. You can find this option within the Settings > General menu inside Oculus desktop app.

Thanks for listening. (whoever it was).
    I'm back in the PTC again.
    Being homeless never felt so good.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • kevinwarhaftkevinwarhaft Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    why cant oculus go get this also
  • dan108dan108 Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    edited October 4
    Dear Oculus developers did you fxed the two major bugs affecting our gameplay sessions?

I mean this one: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77094/rift-s-touch-controller-positional-tracking-timeout-on-slow-movements-1-37-0-245188

And this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/czvjt4/your_rift_s_grips_are_laggy_due_to_a_defect

I play in the competitive scene, ESL vr tournaments and basically I cannot play good because of those bugs, what can I do? Please help I’m desperate those problems are too big for competitive scene.
    The dudes from the VRML community often reaches me because they know I have Oculus S asking me if Oculus S is it a good VR device for competitive, because their teammates want to buy and are seeking for suggestions, and I have to say: be aware there are those huge bugs, wait until oculus devs fix it. But the device has been released 6 months ago and I cannot see a solution yet, please help, it’s a hell playing like this
  • HailHogeHailHoge Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited October 4
    hello again.
    displayport not working yet.
    I'll give you information on every PTC update.
    i sent log.
    cheer.
    PalitGPU GTX1080Ti product code:NEB108T019LC-1021F
    I notice now in 1.42 when you close Oculus on desktop it does not close, but minimizes to tray.
    Have to right click the tray icon and choose to close it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 913
    3Jane
    dburne said:
    I notice now in 1.42 when you close Oculus on desktop it does not close, but minimizes to tray.
    That's odd...
    It doesn't do this for me (I did have to check,,,)  I have just opened and closed the Oculus program twice, just in case :)
    Yes, I'm on 1.42 since last night.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Project 2501
    Ya, same with me Ratty.  When I close it, it closes.  My Oculus app never actually reports to the bottom right task bar, just the bottom left main tool tray area (where I have it's shortcut pined to).  To close the Oculus app I just need to either close it with its top right X, or hover my mouse over its task and select its X.

Unlike the Steam app that does not do this and always reports to the bottom right task bar where I need to right click on it and select exit for it to properly close.

The new 1.42PTC (homeless) continues to work very well for me.  The only minor problem I've had is my PC mouse does not always show up on the VR desktop.  If I point and shoot a touch controller to the VR desktop the mouse appears again and works fine.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 230
    Nexus 6
    Richooal said:
    Home

It's a working victory! And it took only about 2 years (or more) to get through.Of course the OTT has had the "oculus homeless" feature a quite a while. :D
    [email protected], Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb [email protected] DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
    Project 2501
    Netheri said:
    Richooal said:
    Home

It's a working victory! And it took only about 2 years (or more) to get through.Of course the OTT has had the "oculus homeless" feature a quite a while. :D

Ya, probably only take another 2 years to get some of the other useful OTT functions, lol!

edited October 4
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Ya, same with me Ratty.  When I close it, it closes.  My Oculus app never actually reports to the bottom right task bar, just the bottom left main tool tray area (where I have it's shortcut pined to).  To close the Oculus app I just need to either close it with its top right X, or hover my mouse over its task and select its X.

Unlike the Steam app that does not do this and always reports to the bottom right task bar where I need to right click on it and select exit for it to properly close.

The new 1.42PTC (homeless) continues to work very well for me.  The only minor problem I've had is my PC mouse does not always show up on the VR desktop.  If I point and shoot a touch controller to the VR desktop the mouse appears again and works fine.
    Wow that is odd, I tried rebooting the PC and checking again, restarting the Oculus service and checking again..
    Closing the desktop app simply puts the icon in the systray for me , does not close the Home app. I always have to right click the little icon in the systray and click on exit to actually close down the Oculus App. Never did this before 1.42.

Also let me ask about the new Homeless. When I put on the headset with that feature selected, Oculus still opens in my headset with Dash displayed and a gray loading type background and just stays like that - is that correct?
    Don

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,144
    Wintermute
    dburne said:

Also let me ask about the new Homeless. When I put on the headset with that feature selected, Oculus still opens in my headset with Dash displayed and a gray loading type background and just stays like that - is that correct?

That's correct. All the functionality, without the virtual home wrapped around it. If you really want the home during your session, you can select it from the Dash Bar.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    edited October 4
    Richooal said:
    dburne said:

That's correct. All the functionality, without the virtual home wrapped around it. If you really want the home during your session, you can select it from the Dash Bar.
    Ok thanks, at least I know that part is operating correctly.
    Very strange though mine does not close properly as it used to.
    Not a big deal I guess, just an extra click. I never did like how Steam VR did that either.
    Very odd though that it is like that for me and not for a couple of you guys so far.
    Don

Nexus 6
    @ShowbizDonkey Could you pass a request to devs, that it would be great if the oculusmirrors FOVtan command (line parameter) would really open the FOV on desktop mirror of Rift instead of it getting the Home or game graphics and squeeze them into a more compact form? It looks a bit stupid even, when there's a barrel graphics and over it there's Dash which is working as it should without any distorting effect. 
    [email protected], Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb [email protected] DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Project 2501
    Netheri said:
    @ShowbizDonkey Could you pass a request to devs, that it would be great if the oculusmirrors FOVtan command (line parameter) would really open the FOV on desktop mirror of Rift instead of it getting the Home or game graphics and squeeze them into a more compact form? It looks a bit stupid even, when there's a barrel graphics and over it there's Dash which is working as it should without any distorting effect. 

Ya, I agree.  Unfortunately this does not seem to be a high priority for most developers since PC monitor output is generally secondary to good headset display imho.

• uKERuKER Posts: 150
    Art3mis
    How exactly do I disable Home?
    I'm not seeing any new settings neither in VR nor desktop.
    Project 2501
    uKER said:
    How exactly do I disable Home?
    I'm not seeing any new settings neither in VR nor desktop.
    As per the page 1 instructions, go to your oculus app settings/general tab.  The go to the bottom and turn off the switch.  I'm sure you will figure this out.  If you do not see this, maybe you are not on 1.42 PTC, lol!

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    dburne said:
    I'm seeing this behaviour as well on 1.42.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Project 2501
    Both with Rift S? No problem with my cv1

• Redlightning7777Redlightning7777 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    dan108 said:
    Dear Oculus developers did you fxed the two major bugs affecting our gameplay sessions?

I mean this one: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77094/rift-s-touch-controller-positional-tracking-timeout-on-slow-movements-1-37-0-245188

And this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/czvjt4/your_rift_s_grips_are_laggy_due_to_a_defect

I play in the competitive scene, ESL vr tournaments and basically I cannot play good because of those bugs, what can I do? Please help I’m desperate those problems are too big for competitive scene.
    The dudes from the VRML community often reaches me because they know I have Oculus S asking me if Oculus S is it a good VR device for competitive, because their teammates want to buy and are seeking for suggestions, and I have to say: be aware there are those huge bugs, wait until oculus devs fix it. But the device has been released 6 months ago and I cannot see a solution yet, please help, it’s a hell playing like this
    I have found that, while I'm not sure about the first issue, the laggy grips was an issue that plagued me. 
    The games that I have tried so far since the last update seem to not exhibit the same issue..  I've not gone into crazy testing.. however I am able to throw with greater consistancy than before. 
    When the issue was happening to me it was maddening. 

3Jane
    edited October 5
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Both with Rift S? No problem with my cv1
    I have Rift S and exit normally - just to keep the curiosity going...

I wonder if I try the Homeless setting if this is the culprit?

No, no difference, just exits normally for me.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

edited October 5
    Yeah Rift S here too.
    Also tried with homeless and without enabled, same affect. Only minimizes to tray on close.
    Don

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,530 Volunteer Moderator
    I've got the system tray thing too.
    I wonder if it's related to windows itself (such as version). I'm on windows 10 ver 18362 in an admin account.

Nexus 6
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Netheri said:

Ya, I agree.  Unfortunately this does not seem to be a high priority for most developers since PC monitor output is generally secondary to good headset display imho.
    That's definitely a wrong way to prioritize as i.e. streaming the VR content would most likely bring more VR-players to the VR sector + it's consumer wise a free marketing for the VR manufacturers and VR-game devs.. But if the FOV watchers see is even smaller than the players (as a default) it's not good. Especially on 1st person games (sarcasm). If one puts even the 1.3 1.3 Fov multiplier to oculusmirrors parameters (which should be the one eye view what the player sees) the oculusmirros image goes to barrel (while Dash is seen like it should). Although you can crop the windows source on at least (SL)OBS to cut a away the blacks but it eats the whole idea away.
    Project 2501
    edited October 5
    kojack said:
    I wonder if it's related to windows itself (such as version). I'm on windows 10 ver 18362 in an admin account.

I haven’t had any issues with the latest windows or nvidia updates. Rift cv1 w:2x sensors btw.

kojack said:

Windows 10 1903 here. Build 18362.88
    Don

3Jane
    edited October 5
    I'm on W10 1803...  (just had a forced update from 1703 in the last month or so...) with the latest (a few days ago) Nvidia drivers.