Oculus Rift vs Oculus Quest — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift vs Oculus Quest

srlake314srlake314 Posts: 1
NerveGear
So after a great demo at Best Buy, I had some questions.  I work in Unreal Engine, for various productions and have some questions.  I love the non-wired all inclusive potential of the Quest, however, with working in production, would it be better for me to use Rift since it's driven by an external computer?  I was told that there was going to be a connection to the Quest so that I could still use an external, but I wanted to be sure.  How would that work?  Upload from the pc then detach and run?  

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,875 Volunteer Moderator
    Oculus Link will allow you to use the Quest as a tethered PCVR headset, once it releases in November. You’ll plug in the cable, and the Rift PC software will recognize the Quest as a Rift-equivalent headset. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    From what I've heard, when the link cable is plugged into the Quest headset, you're basically bypassing the "smartphone" and displaying VR directly from the PC's graphic card. It's going to require I think a USB-C port on your motherboard or on the GPU. So you can develop in Unreal and try your game directly from the PC (no need to upload to the headset) But if you want your game to be quest compatible (running stand alone) the you would need to upload the apk to the headset first.
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,519 Valuable Player

Saw this meme, and thought it was perfect for this thread. Just a satire piece,

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane