Viewing 3D models on the Quest — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Viewing 3D models on the Quest

JohnWood3DJohnWood3D Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited October 5 in Oculus Quest
Hi,
I just purchased a Quest.  The main reason I would like to use it for is to showcase a library of 3d models created through photogrammetry (in obj or fbx format, or any other format that works to be honest) related to historic underwater wrecks.  This is part of some work I am doing on behalf of the University of Malta Maritime Archaeology department. 
I would normally use Sketchfab for this purpose (showcasing models) on a PC however the attraction of the Quest is of course that it can work standalone and does not even need an internet connection to work with content stored in its own memory.  This opens up immense possibilities for educational outreach.  Apart from that, Sketchfab does not seem to be optimised for the Quest at all.
So far I have not managed to find what I need.  IrisVR could be a possibility (I have set up a trial account and I am waiting for my Quest access to be approved) however this may be an overkill for my needs, cost wise also.
Any ideas anybody?
Thank you
John

Comments

• OcubrickOcubrick Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    have you looked at/tried the ue4 sdk? 
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 697
    Neo
    Creating a simple unity app might be enough for your needs. 
    You wouldnt be able to publish it on the store but sideloading would work fine.

Get the unity android sdk, oculus sdk, drag drop your .obj or .fbx into scene, add a camera and build
  • JohnWood3DJohnWood3D Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Thanks Ocubrick and MikeF.  I've started setting up Unity (first time I have used it) to do this, and I am following these instructions   Hitting some snags, but will keep at it and see how far I get
    John
    NerveGear
    OK I figured that out!  Was a long day but it seems to work really well!
    @MikeF do you think there is a way to use a controller to point at a particular part of the model and "teleport" yourself there.  (So far I cannot see the controllers at all in the model)
    Not sure if you are familiar with how sketchfab works, that's the kind of thing that would really be great
    Thanks again
    John
    NerveGear
    Thanks Ocubrick and MikeF. 
    I've started setting up Unity (first time I have used it) to do this, and I am following these instructions https://circuitstream.com/blog/oculus-quest-unity-setup/  
    Hitting some snags but I'll keep going and see where the journey takes me.