Doom 25 years later - brutal Doom: Hell on Earth VR mod — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Doom 25 years later - brutal Doom: Hell on Earth VR mod

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,392 Valuable Player
Looks awesome  <3 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,392 Valuable Player
    BTW, I haven't tried it, maybe this will help setting up Brutal Doom VR:

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/cwry4b/brutal_doom_vr_oneclick_installpack_easy_setup_in/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Hmmm, how to get and use this without my wife getting me involuntarily admitted and detained in an approved psychiatric centre  :# 

• saami81saami81 Posts: 155
    Art3mis
    Doom on VR is must try for everyone who likes VR and FPS games. Ive played through first 3 episodes on VR with "normal" gzdoom VR and with Brutal Doom pak on VR.

Just tested both the original Doom and Doom 2. This is like visiting your old childhood home and seeing it like never - ever - before, lol. Using the Index - Doom simply looks perfect - I feel like a living person inside the game, lol - no SDE to spoil the fun, blacks are completely as I remember them. 

And great training for growing VR legs, this is perfect full locomotion and extremely smooth turning. Knuckles just worked perfectly, no need to change any settings.

Maybe best to start SteamVR first, and then (after the GZDoom installation) to start GZDoom, because starting GZDoom before SteamVR may prevent sound initiation. Maybe it'll work perfectly from Oculus Home too. My CV1 is not activated right now, and starting GZDoom automatically started the Index and SteamVR (Index is always activated on my rig, CV1 only when it needs to be). 

I can highly recommend Andrew Hulshult's IDKFA soundtrack in FLAC format - Doom's never been this awesome!

https://www.moddb.com/addons/idkfa-doom-soundtrack

Even with years of training, I could feel this game in my stomach, lol - love to finally get Doom back, exactly like I remember it when I sat there in the darkness using my 15" CRT monitor and my 486DX2 66Mhz 8MB in 1994 - with the CL AWE32 soundcard  <3

This video will also explain how to set up (Brutal) Doom VR:

Had an awesome time in Doom last night - felt really mind-bogglingly weird to be like teleported into the game and just walking around, kinda touching the walls... And Brutal Doom is really brutal, lol. Already had trouble finding secrets in the first levels of Doom 2, maybe games were harder back then - no one to hold your hand. Graphics felt slightly Mindcraft-ish...

I've just gotten Heretic and Hexen wad files, looking forward to revisiting those later today. Never got far in Hexen back then, not sure I'm going all in now - but there's still 3 days until Asgard's Wrath launches...

BTW, note that the above works on probably all PCVR hmds, including WMR.