Forced to link facebook to Oculus or no more friends? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Forced to link facebook to Oculus or no more friends?

stereomanstereoman Posts: 61
Hiro Protagonist
What's the deal with forcing me to add a facebook account to Oculus just to add friends to my Oculus account, I don't even use facebook so why am I being forced all of a sudden?

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,875 Volunteer Moderator
    Where/how are you being “forced” to use Facebook to add friends? I don’t have a Facebook account, and I haven’t had any trouble sending or receiving friend requests.

As a test, I just opened the Oculus app on my iPad, went to the friends tab, searched for “stereoman” and sent you a friend request. At no point was I forced to do anything related to a Facebook account. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • DuxCroDuxCro Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    You can accept friend requests in the app on desktop. However, when someone sends you a friend invite INSIDE VR/ Oculus home, it asks you to link FB accounts in order to be able to accept friend request. Annoying.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,137 Volunteer Moderator
    DuxCro said:
    You can accept friend requests in the app on desktop. However, when someone sends you a friend invite INSIDE VR/ Oculus home, it asks you to link FB accounts in order to be able to accept friend request. Annoying.

That isn't what I'm getting. I've sent myself a friend request from my alter-ego to check.

In the Rift, I accept the request by opening the Social tab on Dash and clicking the tick, I don't use Facebook and haven't linked anything.

In the Quest it's the People tab, then Friends and Requests. You then see the same thing as the Rift and click on the tick. No linking is necessary.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)