New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Forced to link facebook to Oculus or no more friends?

stereomanstereoman Posts: 62
Hiro Protagonist
What's the deal with forcing me to add a facebook account to Oculus just to add friends to my Oculus account, I don't even use facebook so why am I being forced all of a sudden?

Comments

• LoneEchoLoneEcho Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    You can accept friend requests in the app on desktop. However, when someone sends you a friend invite INSIDE VR/ Oculus home, it asks you to link FB accounts in order to be able to accept friend request. Annoying.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,361 Volunteer Moderator
    DuxCro said:
    You can accept friend requests in the app on desktop. However, when someone sends you a friend invite INSIDE VR/ Oculus home, it asks you to link FB accounts in order to be able to accept friend request. Annoying.

That isn't what I'm getting. I've sent myself a friend request from my alter-ego to check.

In the Rift, I accept the request by opening the Social tab on Dash and clicking the tick, I don't use Facebook and haven't linked anything.

In the Quest it's the People tab, then Friends and Requests. You then see the same thing as the Rift and click on the tick. No linking is necessary.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • VagabondVillainVagabondVillain Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I experience this same issue. When I try to accept a friend request while wearing the headset it gives me the option to accept or decline. If I hit accept, a window pops up giving me the option to link my Facebook account or cancel. If I hit cancel it takes me back to the accept or decline window. If I hit accept again, it brings the link your account window back up. DuxCro is right that one can get around this by accepting the request in the desktop but its a pain to have to take off your headset every time you accept a friend request.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,292 Valuable Player
    So tell us what you really think...
    ;)
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,006 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    nalex66 said:
    Where/how are you being “forced” to use Facebook to add friends? I don’t have a Facebook account, and I haven’t had any trouble sending or receiving friend requests.

As a test, I just opened the Oculus app on my iPad, went to the friends tab, searched for “stereoman” and sent you a friend request. At no point was I forced to do anything related to a Facebook account. 

So last year.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    Sorry, where is all this facebook tat being 'forced' upon me?
    Maybe if I was sociable?  Bah Humbug!!!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    edited December 2019
    I have a separate FB account for family and a few frieds, but do not and will not link it to my Oculus account.
    So far has not caused me any issues or cause for concern.
    I use it for mainly playing games, so having access to Venues is not that big a deal for me, I don't need it.

I have Rift CV1, Rift S, and Quest. Now should the day ever come when Oculus makes one have to have a FB account linked, then I will move on to another brand for sure.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,343 Valuable Player
    TeraTork7 said:
     I am leaving Oculus and I am getting a Vibe

are you getting a rampant rabbit or some other brand?

Nothing wrong with them of course but not quite the same experience as Elite Dangerous ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • TadinTadin Posts: 336
    Trinity
    They have the Elite Dongerous instead ... it can bring a tear to the eye for sure !
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,361 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm getting bad vibes.

I've got no issue with anti-Facebook opinions, but if at all possible, please avoid the name calling. I don't think the forum rules are suspended just because the target is unlikely to respond.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • stereomanstereoman Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    So now we can't accept new friend requests even through the desktop app unless we link facebook, this is completely out of order!!!
  • Pacman8030Pacman8030 Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    They are a Facebook owned company who is selling the Oculus devices for not much profit(if any profit at all). They must be using your Facebook account and headset activity to target ads so they can generate some revenue.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,955 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    They are a Facebook owned company who is selling the Oculus devices for not much profit(if any profit at all). They must be using your Facebook account and headset activity to target ads so they can generate some revenue.

Then I will gladly pay $50 more to allow me to just use my Oculus sign in and keep access to my friends list (if I had one). We don't want Facebook going broke now do we?
    Most apps these days allow you to remove ads by paying a small amount of money.

RattyUK said:
    Sorry, where is all this facebook tat being 'forced' upon me?
    Maybe if I was sociable?  Bah Humbug!!!

Facebook used to be about being "sociable", today it is about making money from advertising. Whilst a few people are sensible enough to limit what they put on Facebook, I fear the majority have no idea how many little pieces of information they reveal about themselves everyday. This is all collected by a company, and it's partners, who sell themselves to us as providers of  "social media".
    I think we have a generation of kids who don't really understand what "friend" really means. We used to meet people, get to know them and then, maybe, call them friends.
    Bah Humbug indeed, rant over.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• Pacman8030Pacman8030 Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    They could just do what Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are doing with their consoles. Charge a yearly fee to play online. The Quest in particular is like one of the mentioned game consoles as it requires no other hardware to run.
  • Regulus343Regulus343 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Okay, this has me furious. I got my dad into VR this year and he plays games with me. We first create an Oculus Party on evenings when we play. He informed me tonight that he can no longer send or accept party invites because he doesn't have a Facebook account and does not intend to get one... so I started digging into this. Now we can't use parties like we could before. This is garbage. Thank you for bricking people's devices, Facebook! I'll stop suggesting Rift as a good entry point into VR now. Ugh. It's funny that it was the "social network" company that killed my ability to be social with my dad in VR.

It's really too bad... the hardware is great, but I can no longer in good conscience recommend Oculus.
  • Blair5Blair5 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Tempted to delete my Facebook account instead of linking it, was planning on getting a Quest but not anymore. 
  • DroplaDropla Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Yeah, I have been one of Oculus's most vocal cheerleaders since my first purchase of 2 of the DK2. I currently have, both of those, a quest, and s and 3 cv1's in my house. I got my Aunt who has ALS a quest. I got my niece a cv1. I got both my brother and my best friend to buy oculus. I am a hairstylist at an alternative salon and do a LOT of gamers hair and have persuaded many many a gamer to go oculus over vive. For VERY good reason IMO. The best hardware for the best price. The better you can get isn't worth the price hike and we have more access to their games than they do to ours, with little to (sometimes) no need for tampering with controller issues. All these things made oculus better. Although my brother had some pretty horrible customer service issues with the actual Oculus customer service, I usually prompted people to buy at Microcenter or Best Buy. But, I still hard core went Oculus. But, FORCING me to use facebook? Forcing me, or be unable to accept ANY friends requests? If this was understood BEFORE I bought my system, I would be ok with that. But hijacking my oculus all of a sudden because you want control over my use? Way to Fallout 76 yourself Oculus. Gross. Seriously? I'm so embarrassed for all the promoting I did for Oculus for so many years. I feel like it's the Xbox one launch all over again. I never bought another xbox again after that either.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,009 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    They could just do what Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are doing with their consoles. Charge a yearly fee to play online. The Quest in particular is like one of the mentioned game consoles as it requires no other hardware to run.

Better still they could just leave things the way they were where you just create an Oculus account. This put me off getting an Oculus Quest further down the road. No Offence either, but the current games are not worth a subscription yet. This isn't like a console where you have assess to loads of AAA games to play online.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,056 Volunteer Moderator
    I don't mind Facebook owning Oculus. But I don't want a social network pushed onto it when there's already working solutions. Friends and parties worked.

Then again even what we had is stupid. To just use the Rift, there should be NO accounts at all. Obviously the store needs an account for purchases and validating ownership when starting a bought game. Friends and chat need an account too. So logging in to an account should only be required when it's REALLY required. When developing or when running a free game with no interest in friends lists, no account should be needed. The Rift is effectively a monitor/headphones/mic/gamepad, none of those need social network accounts to work (yet).

Oculus Runtime 0.8 was the pinnacle in many ways. No accounts, no forced updates, no internet connections needed. Sadly the 1.x series brought in the "online store and social is the compulsory heart of VR" mentality.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 320
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2019
    nalex66 said:
    Where/how are you being “forced” to use Facebook to add friends? I don’t have a Facebook account, and I haven’t had any trouble sending or receiving friend requests.

As a test, I just opened the Oculus app on my iPad, went to the friends tab, searched for “stereoman” and sent you a friend request. At no point was I forced to do anything related to a Facebook account. 
    Last night a user made me an invitation, when I validated my agreement a message is displayed: you must be registered on facebook to accept the invitation.

I will contact a lawyer, because I know that in France a company cannot link and impose an "external" service to its internal activity even if this service belongs to the same group.
    LAW: article L. 121-1 of the consumer code.
    Prohibition of subordination.
    The only way to escape this law would be to propose to be able to take other social networks in the Oculus universe.

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,259 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:

Last night a user made me an invitation, when I validated my agreement a message is displayed: you must be registered on facebook to accept the invitation.

I will contact a lawyer, because I know that in France a company cannot link and impose an "external" service to its internal activity even if this service belongs to the same group.
    LAW: article L. 121-1 of the consumer code.
    Prohibition of subordination.
    The only way to escape this law would be to propose to be able to take other social networks in the Oculus universe.

Yeah, I wrote that in October, when FB wasn’t a requirement. The new policy of needing a linked account was announced and enacted on December 11th. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,870 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    I don't mind Facebook owning Oculus. But I don't want a social network pushed onto it when there's already working solutions. Friends and parties worked.

Is it really "pushing a social network into it"? [Paraphrased] seems that has been the plan for some time?

Rather than any forcing, this has been a dedicated move after restructuring. The original hope to have a closed ecosystem with their then original management DRM situation (2016) was shot down pretty hard by the community, and then with the failure of CV1 to achieve the sales goals Facebook core management have pivoted towards a working model they feel can achieve the aspirations of their founder. OC5 gave the clearest example of this direction, and a number of the departures from the original team at that point were not just because of the CV2>HalfDome situation, but also due to issues with the "Social Connectivity" questions raised by the new leadership. I hope again that the VR community can flex their considerable muscle and help re-focus OculusVR away from what seems a uncomfortable path that is already hindering Quest reception. 
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 232
    Nexus 6
    Is this some kind of JOKE?!?!

It turns out that I used a different email address when I first created an Oculus account to pre-order my launch era Oculus Rift... 

Now I can't use any of the Oculus social features because for some reason I just CAN NOT get the correct Oculus and Facebook accounts linked...  

I even tried making a new Facebook account using my Oculus account email, but of course Facebook wouldn't let me create a new 'fake' account...

So since I used a different email address when I bought my rift it seems like I'm just SOL on chatting with friends?
    Nexus 6
    Okay, this has me furious. I got my dad into VR this year and he plays games with me. We first create an Oculus Party on evenings when we play. He informed me tonight that he can no longer send or accept party invites because he doesn't have a Facebook account and does not intend to get one... so I started digging into this. Now we can't use parties like we could before. This is garbage. Thank you for bricking people's devices, Facebook! I'll stop suggesting Rift as a good entry point into VR now. Ugh. It's funny that it was the "social network" company that killed my ability to be social with my dad in VR.

It's really too bad... the hardware is great, but I can no longer in good conscience recommend Oculus.
    Exact same problem...  And I actually HAVE a FACEBOOK account linked, but for some reason Oculus just doesn't think it's the correct Facebook account, so I can no longer chat with any of my friends...

All of the chat Party functions were working great before I accidentally let the Rift update...  Thanks Oculus!
    Nexus 6
    stereoman said:
    So now we can't accept new friend requests even through the desktop app unless we link facebook, this is completely out of order!!!
    And I even tried to go through the whole 'Remove yoru headset and login to facebook on desktop and link your account" BS, however even after struggling to get through that Oculus decided that the Linked Facebook account was not acceptable for some reason...

So even if you WANT to link Facebook it won't let you!  What a joke, and I've probably convinced half a dozen people to buy Quests...  No I can't talk to any of them! lol  VERY SOCIABLE
    Oculus was sold out to the world's largest social network organization.
    Is anyone really surprised by this? I bought my first Rift in Jan 2017 and have been anticipating this kind of linking
    coming ever since.

Obviously their intentions for VR were far more than just supporting PC-VR gaming.
     Yeah it is a bummer that they are changing this, however luckily there are now more options out there as far as competitors who are indeed making their focal point the PC-VR gaming community. I myself am not a social sort, and I don't get into the playing online with friends so I am ok at least for now.
    However if the day comes that I have to be linked to a FB account just to use the darn thing, then yep I will go elsewhere also.
    Don

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,955 Valuable Player
    I was just thinking that all the NON linked Facebook accounts are going to be bombarded with ads for Oculus VR products now.
    Mine is not linked, and never will be, I don't like too many eggs in one basket.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.