New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Asgard's Wrath looks like a winner - reviews & impressions

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,436 Valuable Player
edited October 9 in Games and Apps
Only 2 days left  <3 I think most of the screenshots below are from September 5, but I didn't notice them before today - click to enlarge a screenshot:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    edited October 8
    Really interested to see how this looks in non-Oculus headsets (sorry guys). Some really nice texture detail there which shouldn't be missed when playing. That 121 GB install has to be worth it.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,436 Valuable Player
    edited October 8
    Really interested to see how this looks in non-Oculus headsets (sorry guys). Some really nice texture detail there which shouldn't be missed when playing. That 121 GB install has to be worth it.
    I hope it's no more than an 80GB download, lol.

BTW, normally when patching a game I think a copy of the game (or app) is created in the "Staging"-folder. I wonder if that means we'll need at least 125GB free space on the drive containing Asgard's Wrath in order to patch the game... Had a lot of "fun" with that when patching Marvel Powers United (55GB)  :#
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    It's very pretty, but I watched UploadVR's 20 minute gameplay video (from June) yesterday, and it seemed a bit dull, with constant repetition of the same mechanic--get your shark buddy to grab yet another hanging corpse to activate a gate, until you get the turtle buddy, and then every trap is the same fire nozzle that he shields you from. Hopefully the full game has more variety of options and less linearity.

i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Just zoomed in a bit to better see the texture quality - close up the image quality will probably be even better in the hmd:

Grass looks great:

- and mud too, lol:

• JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 248
    Nexus 6
    I'm excited. Just pre-ordered (figured we have to support the development!)
    edited October 9
    Needs 131.31 GB space.

edited October 9
    Needs 131.31 GB space.
    Recommended specs are GTX 1080 (8GB video ram) video card, i7 7700K (4.2GHz) processor and 16GB system ram. Basically my rig, lol.

That usually means I got little room for ss. Or close to no room for Index 90 fps. 

Or it just means that this is another CV1 45 fps ASW2.0 game ;)

Stormland seems to have much lower system requirements (GTX 980, 8GB system ram). Not sure 131GB + high hardware requirements will sell well... At least in regard to this game, no one can accuse Oculus for catering to low-end PCVR users, lol. Then again, Vader Immortal has similar recommended requirements and perform great on my CV1 - even forcing ss 2.0. 

edited October 9
    The guys are getting ready - game launches for early birds in 25 minutes or so:

Personally I'm not going to watch any of that - I dislike spoilers, the above screenshots are more than enough for me. Interesting if Paradise Decay can run the game though, he's normally using a GTX 1060. 

edited October 9
    Game launch in the Oculus Store today at Midnight (Thursday morning in the EU) seems officially confirmed:

edited October 9
    Not available for download in the Oculus Store yet, things may not go that smoothly, let's see what happens later today. 

Edit: My mistake - it's first tomorrow (or midnight PST today)

• ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    Personally I'm not going to watch any of that - I dislike spoilers, the above screenshots are more than enough for me. Interesting if Paradise Decay can run the game though, he's normally using a GTX 1060. 
    Yeah, same here ;) One of the reasons I kept my Rift-S 

From the RoadtoVR review.

my personal play time came to just under 17 hours. That’s a bit short of the advertised 30+

It's annoying when developers [in-general] inflate the playtime hours. Not sure who or what they base it on or why they feel it necessary but it's usually never accurate. I mean, 17-20 is still very good for the price they are asking and if there is replay value then even better.

edited October 9
    Paradise Decay is ready in 1 minute, so the first YouTube impressions have launched - meaning the NDA is lifted. Still hoping for a release today, my internet connection is free, but slow, sigh... Paradise Deacy has the following rig:

☆ MY PC Specs:
    ☆ Oculus Rift S
    ☆ GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB)
    ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit
    ☆ Intel Core i7-3770
    ☆ 16.0GB Ram

my personal play time came to just under 17 hours. That’s a bit short of the advertised 30+

It's annoying when developers [in-general] inflate the playtime hours. Not sure who or what they base it on or why they feel it necessary but it's usually never accurate. I mean, 17-20 is still very good for the price they are asking and if there is replay value then even better.

I'm much slower than many other players, I usually take the time to enjoy the finer details in games - knowing that some artist spent a lot of time creating surfaces, textures, lighting etc. I'm sure I'll get at least 30 hours of gameplay when Scott can do it in 17 hours, lol. Also not sure if the Oculus timer is always correct, if he used that to measure play time.
    To me the most important part is the rating - RoadToVR usually gives low ratings to some of the very best VR games, but not this time:

https://www.roadtovr.com/asgards-wrath-review/

That's very close to Lone Echo (see below) - also reviewed by Scott - but much has happened in 2 years, Scott may not have awarded Lone Echo the same score today:

edited October 9
    UploadVR rated Asgard's Wrath a perfect 5/5 = 100%  :o

Asgard’s Wrath Review Verdict:
    Asgard’s Wrath is not only a step forward for Sanzaru Games as a development studio, but also a fundamental advancement for VR games in general. It’s a captivating experience full of enchanting adventure from start to finish. When people buy a headset with the idea of visiting strange, beautiful, and rich new worlds full of exciting things they can only do in VR, this is the type of game they’re imagining. There are some small gripes here and there and it’s not perfect by any means, but it’s certainly the best VR game yet that I’ve played. After over 25 hours of questing through the realms of Norse mythology, all I can think about is the laundry list of things I’ve still yet to discover. Asgard’s Wrath is, from top to bottom, an extraordinary accomplishment.
    Final Score: star star star star star 5/5 Stars | Fantastic
    Source: https://uploadvr.com/asgards-wrath-review/

That's the looks of an Oculus PCVR flagship!  B) 

edited October 9
    Some dude gave Asgard's Wrath a B, more here (rig specs were lower than recommended, seems like this is an underpowered review, lol):

B (Good): Games graded with a “B” are good, solid products. They are above average in many areas but have flaws here and there that diminish their overall experience. While not nearly legendary status, these games are without question still worth your time.

Approximate Time Played: 27 Hours
    Platforms: Oculus Rift (VR, PC)
    PC Specs:
    -GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    -CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz
    -RAM: 7.95 GB
    -Oculus Rift Publisher: Oculus Studios
    Developer: Sanzaru Games
    Release Date: October 10, 2019.
    Copy: Provided by publisher

Of course nothing beats Beat Saber (Metascore 93), lol, but interesting if Asgard's Wrath can achieve a Metascore higher than Lone Echo (which got a Metascore of 89 and may be considered the current highest Metascore of any true VR game offering Touch/finger support and non-teleport locomotion). Asgard's Wrath will need at least 4 reviews accepted by Metacritic to get a Metascore - right now it's got 2 reviews: 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/asgards-wrath

RuneSR2 said:

I'm much slower than many other players, I usually take the time to enjoy the finer details in games - knowing that some artist spent a lot of time creating surfaces, textures, lighting etc. I'm sure I'll get at least 30 hours of gameplay when Scott can do it in 17 hours, lol. Also not sure if the Oculus timer is always correct, if he used that to measure play time.
    To me the most important part is the rating - RoadToVR usually gives low ratings to some of the very best VR games, but not this time:

https://www.roadtovr.com/asgards-wrath-review/

That's very close to Lone Echo (see below) - also reviewed by Scott - but much has happened in 2 years, Scott may not have awarded Lone Echo the same score today:

BTW, note that Scott Hayden from RoadToVR tested Asgard's Wrath using the Rift CV1 - that was a nice surprise! Now I won't feel so outdated using the good ol' oled screens, lol. Also based on the latest Steam Hardware Survey, for each Rift-S HMD there're 3 CV1s, so Rift CV1 is still - by far - the dominating Oculus PCVR HMD. 

From RoadToVR:

Asgard’s Wrath Details:

Developer: Sanzaru Games

Publisher: Oculus
    Available On: Oculus Store (Rift)
    Reviewed On: Rift CV1
    Release Date: October 10th, 2019
    Price: $40

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,724 Valuable Player
    Somehow I didn't realize it was coming out tomorrow. Oh no, I don't have enough HD space. I only have 47GB left.

This will require a massive clean up. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited October 9
    MowTin said:
    Somehow I didn't realize it was coming out tomorrow. Oh no, I don't have enough HD space. I only have 47GB left.

This will require a massive clean up. 
    If the patch system is unchanged, you may need an additional 130GB free space to patch the game. Better go for 300GB free on the drive you use for Asgard's Wrath, before you install the game - I'm not really joking ;)

In case of trouble, Forceware 436.48 has been changed to support Asgard's Wrath: 

https://www.futuregamereleases.com/2019/10/nvidia-driver-436-48-optimal-gaming-experience-breakpoint-asgards-wrath/

It's seems the game is about 80GB download and 130GB install size. 

RuneSR2 said:
    In case of trouble, Forceware 436.48 has been changed to support Asgard's Wrath: 

https://www.futuregamereleases.com/2019/10/nvidia-driver-436-48-optimal-gaming-experience-breakpoint-asgards-wrath/

I just cleared out 220 GB. I uninstalled Marevel Powers United and Arizona Sunshine.

I've been procrastinating on getting a bigger ssd. The price for a 2TB ssd is pretty reasonable now. 

Is it easy to move your Oculus install to a new drive?
    MowTin said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I just cleared out 220 GB. I uninstalled Marevel Powers United and Arizona Sunshine.

I've been procrastinating on getting a bigger ssd. The price for a 2TB ssd is pretty reasonable now. 

Is it easy to move your Oculus install to a new drive?
    Extremely easy, you just add a new location using the Oculus desktop app, I already have 4, one is set as your default location. A location can be a full drive or a partition. Games are downloaded and installed on the default (primary) location.

edited October 10

Just one of those days, sigh.. :(   

Was thinking that I should start the rig before going to work, because then I could activate the Asgard's Wrath download and installation through the Oculus app on my phone. But I thought it wouldn't be necessary - Oculus wrote the game won't be available today before 7 PM over here, so although one Oculus employee on Reddit said it might be ready already 9 AM (midnight PST), what would be the odds of that happening?

Of course it did happen, and I did not turn on the rig :s the game could be downloading right now. I could be 20-30GB ahead when arriving home...

Bummer... :'(

(Then again the wife is home sick, she might not appreciate getting like 1% of the normally available bandwidth...)

Probably won't be able to download before the kids are sleeping tonight... Or maybe today is a great time for the kids to read books or watch movies on discs! >:)

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,010 Valuable Player
    I started the download this morning - game should be ready when I get home from work :)
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited October 10
    Wow, you guys have slow Internet. I have 250Mbps. The download is 70GB. I think it downloaded in under 30 minutes.

It's downloaded and installed already but I'm working from home. Maybe I'll launch it at lunch. 

edited October 10
    MowTin said:
    Wow, you guys have slow Internet. I have 250Mbs. The download is 70GB. I think it downloaded in under 30 minutes.

It's downloaded and installed already but I'm working from home. Maybe I'll launch it at lunch. 

My employer pays for my internet - unfortunately free isn't fast in my case. With a little luck I get 4GB per hour - so it'll only take about 20 hours  :# At least I've got 260GB free on the drive... Maybe I should try to convince my employer that I need much faster internet to download the usual 250kb word documents, lol. 

Man, my office pc is really slow - took ages to get this page loaded, but it means the rig in the basement is pulling at max speed  <3 Soon there're only 75GB left!  :D

Hmmm, I have 10GB 4G high-speed monthly download using my phone subscription, maybe I could burn those 10GB for turbo speed down to 65GB! Sigh, this is starting to sound pathetic :blush:   

• saami81saami81 Posts: 156
    Art3mis
    Around 2 hours left and download should be ready. Unfortunately i didnt start it at morning. I could have been playing already.
    Yeh 150Mbps here this would likely download in 2 hours. You guys need to step-up. Maybe Boris Johnson will help getting high speed internet to your homes!!! lol.

Yeh 150Mbps here this would likely download in 2 hours. You guys need to step-up. Maybe Boris Johnson will help getting high speed internet to your homes!!! lol.