New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Original Oculus Rift Vs Samsung Odyssey Plus

m70b1jrm70b1jr Posts: 11
NerveGear
Hey guys!
I came here to ask for some advice / opinion. 
I currently have a Samsung Odyssey Plus VR headset. I recently just got into VR and this is my first headset I've owned, however I have spent time using  my friends Rift S. 
Anyways, one of my other friends recently purchased an original Oculus Rift with 3 tracking stations, however he doesnt have enough room in his dorm to properly use it / setup the sensors. So I offered to possibly trade my headset + some money for his headset. Just wondering if this is a fair trade / worth it. I LOVE the oculus controllers, however from my understanding, the display on the Odyssey+ is much better compared to the Rift (higher res, deeper blacks, higher PPI, etc).
What's your opinion on this guys? 

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,369
    Project 2501
    A straight across trade would be a good deal for you imho.  If you have room (and enough usb bandwidth) you could use the 3rd sensor or just use 2 of them and keep one for a spare.  If you have used your friend's Rift S you will probably have already noticed that the Oculus VR system is much nicer to use than WMR. 

Imho the Rift cv1 will provide you a very good VR experience.  I'm very happy with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and I will never go back to the WMR VR system.  However, if you are happy with your O+ and WMR then just stick with that for now imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 451
    Trinity
    Much better tracking
    Much worse optics.

You're better off getting the Rift S
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • m70b1jrm70b1jr Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    ShocksVR said:
    Much better tracking
    Much worse optics.

You're better off getting the Rift S
    Not trying to spend money, I bought my odyssey+ used for $140 (guy said he only used it once) 
    My friend bought the rift used with the tracking stations for $200. 

If I had the money I'd be buying the rift S, trust me. 
    NerveGear
    Bumping this up, could use more opinions
    Project 2501
    edited October 9
    Best thing to do is to try your friend's Rift CV1 on your PC and see what you think imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Best thing to do is to try your friend's Rift CV1 on your PC and see what you think imho.
    Probably will do that. My Main PC is a Ryzen 7 3700x, Vega 64 all on a custom waterloop.

My VR Rig (System that sits in my apartment's living room) is a i5-6600k and a RX 580, so not exactly powerful. Maybe switching to a headset with lower res displays will be easier to drive. 

I'll just ask my friend if we can swap headsets for a week or two. Only downside will be buying tons of USB Extensions for the base stations and headset (Plan on doing a roof mounted pulley system)
    Project 2501
    Just use 2x sensors without extensions to begin with imho.

NerveGear
    Just wanted to post an update 
    Been trying out my friends CV1 while he's been trying out my odyssey. Seems like I'm definitely going to do the trade, the CV1 display is really bad compared to the Odyssey+'s, worse than I expected, but the lighter weight, software and improved tracking (I slayed all my high scores on beat saber) and controllers make the rift a choice for me considering I have the extra space for it.
    I went ahead and ordered 10 foot USB extensions and a ceiling mounted pulley system along with 3d printed wall mounts to setup a sick VR experience 
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 221
    Nexus 6
    FYI, I have both the CV1 and Odyssey + and still prefer the CV1. Haven't used the O+ in many months...its literally collecting dust. Presently, nothing can beat Oculus's ability to provide smooth gameplay with ASW...and the controllers are second to none.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    NerveGear
    FYI, I have both the CV1 and Odyssey + and still prefer the CV1. Haven't used the O+ in many months...its literally collecting dust. Presently, nothing can beat Oculus's ability to provide smooth gameplay with ASW...and the controllers are second to none.
    Speaking of ASW, how do I enable it? Or is it automatically enabled?
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 583
    Trinity
    m70b1jr said:
    Speaking of ASW, how do I enable it? Or is it automatically enabled?
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully#latest